812 GTS too quiet / Novitec exhaust in stock anywhere? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

812 GTS too quiet / Novitec exhaust in stock anywhere?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by BMan14, Mar 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Yup. When I took delivery of my Vanquish S in ‘05 I had them pin the valves open. That car had the best sounding exhaust of any car I’ve owned - until now......

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Spoke with Novi,there is no TDF module.

3. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Were the cats Novitec? They only make 100 cell I'm told

Did you do the before/after sound level testing mentioned previously?

4. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    Not sure what is going on...Novitec sold me 200 cell sport cats. I didn't end up doing sound testing but man it sounds SO MUCH better!! INSANE

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Anyone know who is amongst the most experienced Notvitch/exhaust installers in USA?

6. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    TAG Motorsports. The most.

dustman likes this.
  7. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    That's interesting. Thought they only did 100 cel?

8. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    I was told I have 200 cell sport cats but who knows. I don't see that is has a cell count on my invoice for the Novitec website. It's perfect though - tons of great sound BUT not TOO loud / racer boy. Very aggressive but appropriate. People love it.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I have 200, TDF not 812 though.

10. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    That's good to hear. I'd like to keep it all novice, but don't want unwanted attention ALL of the time.

11. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I will check with Novitec NA and see what I can get. Maybe you have a choice?

12. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    I got the remote valve version and it's probably as quite of not a bit quieter than stock with that valve closed [until 3000 RPM - then it opens up]. Very easy and has both a little remote and a nice aluminum button that fits into the 12V outlet to control it - whichever you prefer]. Definitely not going to upset anyone in quiet mode.

13. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I checked the website for the TDF and 812, and it only lists 100cell, but I’ll dig deeper and see what I can find. I believe you guys and hope that I can get 200! I’m familiar with the remote, so that’s a great tool to have for sure. I’m ditching it with the Pista and doing a valveless X pipe for that.

14. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    BRE exhaust also available here ... https://forzacomponenti.com/

15. nickorette

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I specifically emailed novitec about GTS 200 cell cats, they forwarded my inquiry to local dealer that said they are only available in 100 cell

16. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    I checked back and I do, in fact, have 100 cell cats. I am not sure how I confused myself but they are 100 cell. Sorry for the confusion.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  17. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    BTW the real world difference between 100 and 200 cell is minimal (based on my experience of having both on an 812 GTS / SF)

Caeruleus11 and Lagunae92 like this.
  18. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Can you please kindly let us know how much it costed you? (The whole system, installation etc.)
    Many thanks :)

19. nickorette

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Do you notice any fuel smell? I was worried 100 cell in an open-top you might notice it a bit

nimamd likes this.
  20. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    In just the wrong set of conditions I can smell a quick fuel smell and then it dissipates. I need top down, just been driving hard, still air, etc. and it still goes away quickly. Doesn't bother me because of the trade off for the incredible sound!

nickorette likes this.
  21. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I absolutely hated that in my 360 spider. Happened every time I’d slow down from doing over a hundred…..so every time I drove it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    Wow. It’s rare I smell anything at all. Drove around all afternoon today and smelled nothing at all.

23. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi, slightly off topic for this thread, but does anyone have experience with 100 or 200 cell cats in terms of the cold start (812 GTS / SF)? Specifically, if you live in a house with a normal domestic garage and start the car with the garage doors closed, is it still so loud that the neighbours are likely to complain? Assume you live in a city so the neighbours are reasonably close.

I'm considering moving house and am trying to get a sense of how much of any issue my car will be. The new house (and garage) would be detached (on its own block of land). Thanks for any input.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I had 100 on a TDF and it woke the dead, esp in a garage.

25. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I cannot speak with authority about the 812. I have a 360. On cold start, it is quite loud for the first 30 seconds or so. My car has a valved exhaust and on cold start the ECU opens the valves for those 30 seconds or so. I believe to hasten the warm up time of the catalytic converters. My understanding is that this is pretty much standard operating procedure for most Ferrari's.

So, to your question. As the valves in the exhaust will be open during the cold start interval, the sound level should be the same regardless of what exhaust system you have installed. And if you decide to replace the stock catalytic converters with 100 or 200 cell cats, it will be even louder as you will be diminishing the level of sound attenuation provided by the stock cats.

You do have an option, though. If you acquire the Forza Exhaust Controller, you can immediately after a cold start, press the button to force the exhaust valves closed. This will force the exhaust gases through the silencer which will restore normal sound attenuation provided by the silencers. After the short warm up period of say 30 to 45 seconds, you could then revert the exhaust controller to ECU (normal) mode and the ECU will then manage the valves. The only down side of this action is that the cats will not warm up quite as rapidly and the car's exhaust emissions will be out of compliance for a longer period. Other than that, there would be no adverse consequences.

Regards,

Steve