348 - Time to lube Shift cables | FerrariChat

348 Time to lube Shift cables

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, May 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My list is running low. Lube shift cables and shift box Is up now. Then clutch/TOB/flywheel (I got the last set up from MD before they closed their doors), then new carpet and sound deadening.
    I order to attempt to make getting the car up easier, I got quick jack but the rear lift points are further inboard. Well turns out they now have a handy dandy cross bar where you can slide the pads under the rear subframe.

We'll see what happens tomorrow and will post man thing unusual during the process. I bet the cables are dry as a bone. Coupled with the Spirax GB oil, I have high hopes for much more pleasurable driving experience.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ok so the cross bar works well, I had to jack up the rear like 2 inches to clear the pucks is all but if the car was on the normal 2x8 planks it would have been fine.

You can see the jack in place. And then there it is raised. To compare there it is with nice aluminum stands at full extension. :)

Attached Files:

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    First thing is check the lock nuts and mark the cables for slippage and to sure they go back on same side down and same left/right orientation. Have to flake off some old foam etc just a bit. No biggie.
    Now I need to wait a bit for the paint marker to actually dry.

Attached Files:

308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Got the cables out, simple effort. My cables were so dry, it took considerable effort to pull the cable up and push down in the sheath. Even had a hard time making them travel the full throw, they would actually stick and move no more. No wonder people break their sticks off. I used liquid lube, squeeze it onto the shaft and let it run down, lots, for a long time. As of now I am letting it sit to work its way down. Lunch time.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am a huge tri-flow believer, but the liquid is much thicker than the spray. The liquid is like 3-1 oil. I don't have any spray and can't wait 2 days to order it online so I switched to a bike and motorcycle cable lubricant that is much thinner and has Teflon as well. Very much like the Tri-flow spray lube. Goes right down.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Squeaky shifter gone, was pretty dry so cleaned and regressed the plates and Belville washers. Once bolted back in the housing you can also grease the springs and the brass colored pins too, by swinging the shifter over to left and right from center and using a small device like a coffee straw and slather grease all up in there. I used the tri-flow for the shifter linkage bearings.

I am going to let the shift cables sit while vertical over night and let gravity do some work. and squirt more lube down the cable periodically all night.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB likes this.
  8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #8 Ferrarium, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Forgot a photo, don't forget to grease the inside of the shift lever.
    Quick tip, do not over tighten those 2 aluminum clam shell halves or you can't depress the lever for reverse.
    The shift lever is spring loaded but its a pretty soft spring and as you depress the spring and shift lever into the cam, the cam slides into its bucket in the aluminum clam shell and holds it. All in all pretty easy. Only took 2 hands nothing more or no special tools.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

308 GTB likes this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #10 Ferrarium, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Here is the result tag line - Downshifts are fantastic rolling to a stop, lip throttle, pull with 2 fingertips down, and in to 3rd from 4th it goes. Begore it was constant f'in manhandling the shift knob in every direction and even some squeaking. It was like a Model T, all antiques feeling.

My car runs like a champ. Forget all the stuff like new maf's and ignition and coils, and fuel pumps, and FPR and just about every other component being replaced. The list is huge. The car always ran great. I love the car but I kind of hated it too, driving it was not an escape, it was a chore. Especially in traffic. Ugh.

I suppose people think they are supposed to be that way because they are old. Nope, more like no lubrication in shifting system for 30 years.

With this done I can drive and upshift and downshift with 3 fingers, its smooth and easy, getting into the actual gear is dictated by the GB, but there journey along the way is transformed. I mean it genuinely glides... your not aware of the stiffness in the shifting action as there is none anymore. And It feels like one imagines it should, a dream, It was a bit of a nightmare. Honesty I dreaded it. Despite all the great stuff, this is the missing link honestly. Absolutely brilliant now. Feels like a newish car with the smoothness.

5 Things to do to LOVE driving your and have it feeling like a modern car not a worn antique (minus engine parts etc)

1) Rebuild your steering rack
    2) Reset ride height to factory then go up or down there keeping proportions, so many of these cars have front lowered, makes it horrid, especially with work rack, and they are all worn.
    3) Tie rod ends, upper/lower ball joints, rack mount bushings, shock bushings etc.
    4) Ailing the car properly
    5) LUBE SHIFT BOX AND CABLES

steved033 likes this.
  11. marknado

marknado Rookie

Mar 4, 2021
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nice post, will add it to my to-do's. How long roughly did it take to remove/reinstall the cables (excluding time spent letting oil run)?

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not include jacking up the car and just the time to remove the panels and pull the cables probably 30-40 minutes.

Video from fellow chatter

308 GTB and marknado like this.
  13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    man...i'll add this to grease the wheelbearings day.

Great job!

sjd

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its super easy to do. When you guys do do it please reply here to confirm what I am saying for others. No joke, its a huge deal.

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its super easy to do. When you guys do do it please reply here to confirm what I am saying for others. No joke, its a huge deal. 3 finger shifting including into reverse.
    Anyone in NJ let me know I'd be glad to help you you with this.

16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Interesting. I jumped out of my F355 with fully rebuilt shifter and into 1994 348 spider and the gearbox is a real chore by comparison. Will look into this.

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    For gb oil do yourself a favor and use this this. SHELL SPIRAX S5 ATE 75W90

My prior Amsoil made the car very annoying to drive as in dreaded getting in it actually. Chipping teeth, clunking pulling, out of gear, fighting to bet into every gear. Put in Spitax and all that is gone, works like a GB should. What was missing was a full lube job.

Now with Spitax and linkage and shift box lubed I look forward to running errands.

Do not accept crappy driving experience as "what do you expect in an old car bs"

18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    we need toothbrushes sure I'll run to CVS.

Cut the grass... we need weed killer let me run to home Depot.

Popeyes.... sure I'll run out.

I'm now making excuses take the car on errands instead of making excuses to not drive it. Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I thought I had some tri flow for my bikes, but any chain lube type stuff should work.

sjd

20. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I'd love to get my hands on some of that Shell Spirax, but don't need a 35LB pail. Does anyone have a source for smaller quantities in the US?

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  22. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    $380.97? :eek: I guess I'm old school but that seems excessive.

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Price of good shifting I suppose. Not a whole lot more than 20 quarts of good oil. 1 change a year, it will get used I imagine.

Probably other good options out there, Amsoil is not on in these cars though.Plenty of oil that works lousy.

24. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    I got a 5 liter jug of the Shell Spirax SS ATE 75w-90 from Lube Finders.com last winter from the UK. It was shipped DHL and I had it in a few days. Just tried their web site and can't find it so you may want to call them. They break down the large drum to use able size and sell it accordingly. It was approx. $125. as I recall. And to just to set the record straight Eric, you got the next to last flywheel kit from MD, I got the last one.:p:)

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #25 Ferrarium, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
    Touche! Single or Dual? Mine is a Dual. I hope you got the Voith rebuild kit too I sure did.
    I did however get the last 2 new MAF's and the last set of in tank fuel pump lines on the planet. :)
    How does the Spirax work for you? Different gear boxes can respond differently, and assembled and all that. Good to hear other experience for others to reference.