308 Carb Brothers - help | FerrariChat

308 Carb Brothers - help

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sledge4.2, May 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Former owner of a carbed 308 which I regrettably sold a number of years ago.

However, I still have my Jalpa, which runs on 4-42DCNF carbs.

I rebuilt the carbs completely before storing the car for 4 years. Recently, pulled/cleaned all jets and ET's and pulled the top covers off and everything looked really clean.

I also put in a new fuel pump which puts out 6psi, which is too high.

the #7 and #8 cylinders (shared by one carb) are soaked and fouled immediately.

I am thinking its a stuck needle valve, or too much pressure from the fuel pump.

any thoughts are welcome.

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I’ve seen your vids. I’m sure you will figure it out. Your diagnosis sounds correct to me. But it should be checked. Along with floats. Good luck

3. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    7-8 are at the end of the line. If it was the fuel pump, you would think it would be 5-6 that would have the issue, as that's where the fuel line comes up from the pump? 7 psi is the Facet pump you can buy as a replacement.

I'd open that one back up and check the needle valve. Sounds like your float may not be closing it.

Ferraripilot and absostone like this.
  4. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    everything seems to be running rich, I haven't driven it and loaded it up really hard, so that might be contributing, but all the plugs are too sooty, with 7/8 being wet.

5. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I can tell you - I just got a couple 14 mm colortune plugs - I'm going to try and fix my mixture issues with those.

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How about float level, is it adjusted correctly?

Kidasters and absostone like this.
  7. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    I had very similar issue on my car shortly after buying. Previous owner had rebuilt carbs. The issue was that the needle valve hadn’t been tightened into the top cover and gradually worked loose; moving itself lower down toward the float. As a result in no longer worked as a valve and effectively flooded the float chamber.

Car ran very rich on one cylinder and the plugs were ‘wet’ like you say. I would clean them up; everything would be fine for a bit then it would stop firing on that cylinder, again.

(what also interested me was that the engine temperature would rise when that happened; not sure why?)

anyway; i couldn’t trace down the problem; thinking it was ignition. it was only when I noticed a fuel leak from the carb; and evidence of a small fire where fuel had collected on the cylinder head and burnt out that I took the carb apart. Such an easy fix once I found the problem

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Interesting

9. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Have a look at my blog (Derek’s 308) as I tested the float levels without taking the carbs apart. You might have the one float level too high or something stopping the valve from sealing (try squirting carb cleaner into the fuel inlet, might clean the seat.)

I wish I’d bought the white Jalpa parked next to my 308– less wrong with it and worth much more due to the few made.

10. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Thanks all - will report back on results.

On the fuel pump pressure, my Jalpa WSM says 4psi, and I have read a lot that Webers generally like 3psi. Is there a problem with running higher, like at 6psi? I understand the problem could be over pressurizing the carbs, flooding the float bowl, and introducing too much gas into the carbs. Has anyone really experienced this?

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Another possibility is a float than is no longer a float (so confirming that it is still sealed is as important as the mechanical adjustment).

Also, are you saying that you can make a reasonable idle A/F adjustment on those two cylinders (i.e., you can swing it from lean miss to rich miss with good running in between)?

absostone and Kidasters like this.
  12. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Steve, good to see your name!

I didn't do any playing with idle screws, just turned it off when it was running on 6 cylinders, pull the plugs, saw they were wet, and didn't do anything (yet) after that.

Do you have a point of view on the fuel pump pressure?

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Enough carb 308s are running OKish with the 7 psi Facet pump installed that I wouldn't say that being at 6 psi is an instant serious problem for DCNF, but it probably does needlessly increase the needle valve wear and shorten life. You've just got to get in and see what's what. It's way more concerning when everything checks out as OK, and you still have a problem ;)

Don't know if you use the choke (nor know the exact mechanics of it on your Jalpa), but another possibility could be something like the 7-8 choke being stuck "on" for some choke linkage problem -- just another thought...

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Just sitting there running (or not running but pump on) is fuel visibly dripping in the 7/8 carb? If so, from the pump jets or main discharge or?

If no it isn't a pump pressure or needle and seat issue. Conversely if yes it is not automatically a pressure or needle and seat issue.

I agree with Steve but if pressure concerns you an inline regulator isn't expensive.

15. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    I can share a video of where the fuel dripped from my carb, which was a needle valve issue, but not sure how to upload videos?

absostone likes this.
  16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Would like to see that. Is the vid on your phone?

17. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I bet the pump you have now is outputting 7 psi or so. Pump is at the bottom of the car, and it's got to push 6 pound/gallon gas up about 2-3 feet to get to the carbs - so you are losing about 1/2 to 1 psi just getting the fuel to the carbs.

Ya - I agree with the above posts - either your floats aren't floating, or you have a needle valve issue.

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Facet makes two pumps, the carbed Ferraris want the lower 4 -5PSI.
    Higher one makes 7 -9 PSI

I guess you could use the higher pump if you had an adjustable regulater, buy why??

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Never....ever....use the choke...

As Steve mentions, sticking "on" is the worst possible thing to happen!!
    Well , my Tech broke the console cable off, I guess that might be worse!!!

Wankers.....

Kidasters likes this.
  20. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Yes; I found video on iPhone last night; but can’t work out how to upload it

21. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Facet make around 20 different pumps and Webers dont like much above 4psi although they do seem to tolerate the higher pump on some cars, perhaps due to the return line?

The 477060E is a suitable pump for Webers at 4 to 2.75psi range. With a little resistance in the circuits etc they normally settle at about 3.5psi which is good.

Rated at 34 GPH.

Regulators go wrong and not needed if you fit the correct pump imho.

As for wet plugs, obviously you have checked that the plugs are firing, Follow same firing sequence ie 1,5,4,8,7,2.6.3, if not got to be floats, valves etc. Pull the top off and check floats for piece of mind, Ethanol loves eating solder on brass floats if sitting for too long.

Tony

22. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sledge - any updates?