For Sale - Fresh to Market 1992 Ferrari F40 | FerrariChat

For Sale Fresh to Market 1992 Ferrari F40

Discussion in 'Cars' started by RMSotheby's, Apr 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RMSotheby's

RMSotheby's Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    RM Sotheby's
    A low-mileage, late model example of Enzo’s final act is heading to RM Sotheby’s Amelia Island auction next month:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

1992 Ferrari F40
    Estimate: $1,800,000 - $2,200,000 USD
    Chassis No. ZFFMN34A0N0093103

Engine No. 30719
    Gearbox No. 617

An instant success upon its release, demand was so high for the F40 that initial sales projections were quickly doubled, then tripled. Enzo’s gift to sports car aficionados everywhere lived on in each of the 1,315 examples built. With worldwide production not necessarily limited, the F40 cannot necessarily be described as rare. What separates each example, then, comes down to three factors. The first of which, being mileage. Perhaps the most tantalizing fact about this F40 is that its odometer showed only 3,304 miles driven at the time of cataloguing.

The second factor is overall age. With 1992 marking the final year of production, this Ferrari F40 has the benefit of being five years younger than its eldest siblings. Being one of the last examples produced, this F40 was also the beneficiary of five years of internal refinement by Ferrari; by 1992, the consummate Italian brand had triumphed over U.S. import regulations and was able to offer an official variant for the North American market.

Featuring refinements in suspension and interior comfort (this example sports a luxury we take for granted today: Air Conditioning), a mere 213 examples were built to North American specifications over the production run of the F40. Of that fraction of total F40 production, an even smaller number—a scant 60 in all—composed the final batch built-in 1992.

The third factor is a proven history of careful ownership—one needs to have kept all the receipts. This example was sold through Ferrari Salt Lake City and by all accounts led a pampered life in the resort town of Park City, Utah. An extensive receipt file dating back to new shows regular service performed by official Ferrari dealerships including its most recent scheduled appointment, a major service including belt service at Ferrari of Long Island.

Treated with care since new, this late-model F40 wears all the marks of a lifetime of careful stewardship. With only 40 miles traveled since its major service, the timing on this prime-spec Ferrari F40 could be ideal for both summertime enjoyment and long-term collecting potential. Either way, Enzo would be proud.

For an extensive history file on this example, as well as a full gallery of images and further information on how to register for bidding, please click here.

2. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    1992, good year :D
    Love the included Lego

reedferrari, Yassa and LVP488 like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    poetry

NuorderSG and Thecadster like this.
  4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Insane, God I wish I could own this car, the F40, is , I have to say, the BEST CAR FERRARI HAS EVER BUILT !!! Its that simple.

Thank you

Yassa, Jakuzzi, JLF and 3 others like this.
  5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    I can dream of a Testarossa, and it is possible for that dream to become a reality in the next year if I pursue it. The F40 however will always remain a dream- wow simply amazing! I believe Enzo would have liked the car to take part in some spirited driving rather than leading a pampered life (and perhaps it has). At this price point however it is the owner's wishes which must be respected. ;)

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Bellissima!

8. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Low miles, like a little over 100 per year. Poor thing never really got enjoyed.

harrisonwebb and Topace like this.
  9. sandstrs

sandstrs Rookie

Mar 4, 2016
    perfection!

10. Topace

Topace Karting

Apr 2, 2021
    Omaha ne
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Are u willing open to a trade?

11. flyboyx

flyboyx Karting

Dec 19, 2014
    Houston, Tejas
    Full Name:
    brian
    it’s kind of like not having sex with your girlfriend so she is more appealing to the next guy.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Not really. Lots of f40 owners have dozens of cars.

13. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    It's possible that this car was a long-time stablemate of the 308 QV I own. I know the previous owner bought (and sold) two US-spec F40s from Ferrari of Salt Lake (Steve Harris Imports at the time) and had a house in Park City... If only I had an extra one-point-something million laying around, I'd love to reunite them.

14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Kind of like their women

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yassa and brookliner7 like this.
  15. EuroCarEnthusiast

May 12, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Undisclosed
    I see the estimate range, but should we see who on the forum has the crystal ball (i.e. best guess) on:
    1. Whether the car meets the reserve, and
    2. Final hammer price
    Would love to see where people think this prices out after the Pcar sale.

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    EuroCarEnthusiast likes this.
  17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    1.7 to 2

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Just under 2.5 mil all in for this '92.

19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think this car breaks 2 mil.
    usa spec, low mileage, good history and documentation.
    it will raise all boats.

20. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I think it goes over the $2.2 then commission on top of that, I know 3 people after it

EuroCarEnthusiast and of2worlds like this.
  21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Next stop $5m.

marky1 and ChipG like this.
  22. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #23 ross, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
    you may be right.
    numerous people have been asking me for pointers on buying a euro model with some miles....and i have been bid, unsolicited, for my own several times.

if this one does go for 2.2 plus com, which will punch it up closer to 2.3, then all others goes up quite a bit with it.

and yes, i did say to expect this in a thread i started 2 years ago....
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/the-f40-is-undervalued.601297/page-12

ChipG likes this.
  23. EuroCarEnthusiast

May 12, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Undisclosed
    Close to or over $2.2M seems like a big move in one month with respect to the Pcar vehicle (which was a '91, but had a few less miles), but I still think it is likely to go as high as $2.2M. To your point, at $2.2M, there would be a buyers commission of $225k, so as a buyer you're really paying ~$2.4M. The way I think about it, the true-cost to the buyer would then reflect an even larger gap in price to the Pcar vehicle, so what would be the cause(s) of that at these hypothetical prices? Is it because it's a '92, some difference in condition/provenance, the marketing/branding/reach/client base of RM Sotheby's, the market moving at warp speed, etc.?

24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    - usa spec, which will bring a higher valuation in a usa auction
    - relatively low mileage, but not a trailer queen so can still be driven lightly without too much harm.
    - all the docs, classiche, etc
    - luggage
    - complete history
    - sothebys'
    - amelia island.

ChipG likes this.