430 - F430 vs. Scuderia questions from a V12 visitor | FerrariChat

430 F430 vs. Scuderia questions from a V12 visitor

Discussion in '360/430' started by KarlA69, May 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi

I'm popping over from the V12 chat to ask for your help regarding a 430! I previously owned an 812 SF and swapped it for an 812 GTS. I love the GTS and won't ever sell, but am considering adding a 430 when I can afford it. I would appreciate help on the below:

- The 430 Scuderia is roughly twice the price in the UK (c. £100k vs £200k). I know it's a more limited car, track focused etc, but do you think it's worth the significant premium in terms of driving experience, special feel etc? Are there any major drawbacks to the Scuderia?

- Do the F430 and Scuderia need an after market exhaust to sound decent, or pretty good stock? If so, is the best modification a sports / high flow cat?

- Any other thoughts about adding an F430 / Scuderia to the current V12, in terms of how different / complementary they would be? I don't own any other cars and don't plan to add...two would be plenty!

Thanks in advance!

Karl

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Scud is worth the premium.

Scud sounds good when you first get it. After awhile, you’ll probably want more out of it.

Best to do a full exhaust system from headers to muffler of your liking. 100 cell cats or straight pipes will give the best sounds. 200 cell if you don’t want to deal with CELs.

Shark01 likes this.
  3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    You'll need to do some exhaust upgrades for a comparable sound to your V12.

4. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    We are in same position, but reverse! Have an F430 coupe with an 812 GTS on order.

The F430 makes a great compliment. Peak analog, very connected and race-car feeling. Organic exhaust note and fun to drive slow or fast. Confidence inspiring. Note: my example is well sorted, with fresh PS4S, new balljoints, scudinc relay, new acculmator, new engine mounts, and a cleaned up interior/exterior. I could see the F430 being a turn-off if one had a tired example in need of a lot of work.

I've driven Scud on track a couple times, for me the double price jump wasn't worth it. On paper the performance upgrades aren't that substantial and to be honest I prefer the cleaner lines of the standard coupe and the red manifold covers. As for exhaust, if you want it loud you can just have those engine bay sound deadening triangles removed and you basically get the scud loudness. Thow in a lithium battery and some sport seats and you're pretty much halfway there to the reduced kerb weight.

However from a collectability/investment standpoint, the Scud is definitely worth it. They are probably undervalued and I think have room to go up. If cash isn't a problem they are the better car but for me I didn't see the value.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  5. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Try to drive both to make the determination. I knew the Scud was it before I even drove it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The Scuderia drove and felt like a completely different car, awesome to drive.....well worth the premium.

EnzoItaly and Bas like this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i agree the scud is better if you are going after visceral. if you have any interest in comfort and daily drivability the 430 wins. both sound very good with oem but if you want a high pitch sound follow the recipe above.

Manda racing, EnzoItaly and Bas like this.
  8. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Intrigued also!

I wonder a dream budget fleet a 360cs, 430 scud and f12?? Mmmmm

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I have cs scud ff. No need for another v12 especially one that isnt dd. Never understood front engine v12 that’s uncomfortable. That’s just me

10. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    There's only 3 reasons to go with an F430 over a Scud:
    - Budget
    - Comfort
    - Gated shifter

If none of those are the top factors for you, then Scud all day long. And IMO the Scud sounds quite good stock.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  11. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    The 430 platform is generally a very attractive and good platform, there are people who say this is the last still "analog" V8 rear/mid-engine generation. After that, it became "digital" and certain driving sensations were lost (too much electronics, too easy in the handling with a behavior too adapted, too many compromises for too broad a target customer audience). That's why I think you're basically right about the F430. In comparison, the Scuderia is an even tougher version of the F430 in terms of driving emotion. It is extremely minimalistic in the interior, it is extremely loud because of missing insulation materials and carpets, its F1 Superfast II transmission is even "harder" when shifting, the exhaust sound even louder. The Scuderia is not "better" than an F430, it is more extreme. Whether you are ready to pay the premium you really have to find out yourself. If money is an issue, I recommend buying a good F430 rather than a bad Scuderia. Look closely and take your time. The offer is very large (F430 and Scuderia), accordingly, there are many rotten cucumbers on offer.

In my eyes, there is no need for a special exhaust, both variants have a very nice and impressive sound. A flap control can make sense, so that you can enjoy the sound even at idle / at low speeds.

A V8 rear/mid-engine model is always a very attractive alternative to Ferrari's V12 front/mid-engine models. The agility and dynamics of the cars are simply quite different. Owning both is something I can highly recommend.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm not sure what they consider analog, but very few things on the F430 don't have some kind of electronic intervention. Brakes, steering, throttle, differential, traction. Even the signal from front luggage compartment open switch is processed by the instrument panel ECU. The F430 is even a big step up from the F360 in terms of the amount of information being carried on databusses. Even the big red START button is not hooked up directly to the starter or a starter relay.

13. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Good point. I have intentionally written the terms "analog" and "digital" with quotation marks and closing characters, because one should not see the terms "technically". This expression is an attempt to explain the differences from today's almost too perfect sports cars to the F430.

A F430 is a very modern and already highly digitized car. And yet it leaves more of an impression of a purist sports car than, for example, its successor, the 458. For example, the automated manual transmission (a highly complex and digital technology) creates a sportier and more brutal impression than the dual-clutch transmission from the successor, although the dual-clutch transmission is superior in terms of performance. Or the rear axel of the Scuderia: I have the impression to be able to play more with this rear axel than with the rear axel of a 458. Porbably the rear axel of the 458 is too perfect with its higher grip potential.

I simply believe that from 2010 onward, sports cars have become too perfect and, most importantly, too powerful. They have exorbitantly high engine power and offer significantly higher performance capabilities, but are no longer as much fun. IMO this is because 99% of all owners can only control this power with electronics and you can feel that in these overpowered sports cars, they have become too "digital".

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The Scuderia is worth it for me - I also have the feeling it's the last of its kind, being really a track focussed different version, because at the time there was a need to make choices to define the car (e.g. comfort vs road-holding sharpness).
    With newer technologies the "base" cars have become extremely versatile and adaptable, so that the so-called "special" versions have become more pretending than substantial (that's relative of course).

redcaruser likes this.
  15. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    If money isn’t a problem which looks to be the case with your current stable then by all means grab the scud. If budget is a concern you’ll have just as much fun taking a regular F430 to dinner and the shops. Tracking or a lot of curvy backroad driving of course is a different answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Impossible to get V12 sound from a V8?!

FerRrari likes this.
  17. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Indeed, it feels a bit like a modern F40 (for example the noises from small stones ticking within the fenders).

18. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Very well said!

19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The Scud is a purebred raw sports car with more than enough power for the streets. That’s what you’re buying. Just look at it :).

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, it's a different design a V8 can't match.

21. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    First Fcar was a F430 with F1 transmission. Amazing car. But I still wanted a SCUD in the end. Traded it for m first SCUD. Fast forward with a Speciale, and now in m second SCUD.

If I can get an F430 with sport seats with all carbon fiber exterior/interior, whether F1 or MT, Ill get it. Thats more rare.
    Otherwise, just get a SCUD.

Manda racing likes this.
  22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Yes, but it comes pretty close.

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Stock 430 V8 sounds better than stock 550 and 575 and 599 V12! Scud, even more so.

OP, if you think an 812 is worth the difference over a F12 (I think it is), then a Scud is worth the difference over a 430 F1.

gated 430 is something else if that’s your thing.