328 GTS air con is it just pointless or broken? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

328 GTS air con is it just pointless or broken?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ballie64, May 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Six months in the UK, Mike? None of my business, but seems a strange idea...(I love the UK, by the way)

Rgds

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Six months in the UK, Mike? None of my business, but seems a strange idea"

Funny! We get that same response in the UK. When we're in a pub and, in conversation, tell local folks we spend six months in the UK they ask, "WHY?" :eek:

I have always had a fondness for England, dating back to my teen years. We are now UK residents, own a house in Bath (about a 2 minute walk to the Roman Baths), and live there 181 days per year (181 days/year is required to be a legal resident). We pay taxes and all that stuff! :) We usually go over in April, return in late October but had to delay this year twice due to some home remodeling here in TX that is taking much longer than we hoped/expected... :mad:

If my 328 was in the UK as opposed to TX, I probably wouldn't worry about AC function at all. :D

Saabguy likes this.
  3. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I ran my aircon EXACTLY ONCE after it was converted to R124 or whatthehellever, to see if it worked.

It would cause an Eskimo to don a thick polar jacket in about 2 minutes.

Just lucky I guess.

It has sense be completely disconnected and the pump is not going back in.

Its just deadweight, here.

4. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Not really, its just a system with old seals that's designed to hold R12.

There doesn't have to be a definitive, detectable leak. If you don't renew all the pipes and seals in the entire system with stuff designed to hold 134 it is a racing certainty that it will leak out.

As far as 134 is concerned the the original system is pretty much guaranteed to be porous.

maurice70 likes this.
  5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Converting an r12 system to 134 is not really as big a deal as it it made out to be. I have been converting old systems to 134 for a very long time.. well since 134r became the new thing.

I have done the minimal to the full shabang. If the systems is good and leaks etc are repaired..it will work with 134. Changing the dryer and as many o-rings as you can access should be enough to have a reliable system.

When vacuuming down the system you must at minimum vac down for 40 minutes. Then let the car stand for at least 20 minutes and monitor gauges for leaks. If all is well..fire the charge (compensating for the lighter 134 by adding a bit more charge) and correct carrier oil into the system. The car system should cool just as well as the r12 did.

Freddie328 likes this.
  6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Very good choice, Mike; Bath is a beautiful place...

Rgds

7. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I believe you add less R-134 than R-12. Thats what Polar Bear advised. He suggested adding just enough R-134 until it started to get cold. AS I recall about 20% less R-134.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    A lot of people think we live in igloos up here!

9. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    You don’t ?? ;)

Ak Jim likes this.