2010 California Spark Plug change | FerrariChat

2010 California Spark Plug change

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Steve1979, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
    I changed out the spark plugs on my 2010 Ferrari California today. I couldn’t find any info so here is what it entailed:

1. Remove the plastic engine bay covers (left, right, and the piece with the chassis number).

2. Loosen up the covers by the windshield. I didn’t pull them off. If I would have I could see it being a challenge getting it back in.

3. Replaced all four on the passenger side of the engine. The Craftsman 5/8th spark plug socket fit perfect. Note: Write ups for other cars said a “thin walled socket”. The Craftsman spark plug socket didn’t say “think walled” but it was just the right size.

4. Replaced the two forward spark plugs on the driver side.

5. Take off the windshield wipers: I used a flathead to pull up on the plastic cover on the wiper base. From there remove the bolts and the wipers pop off. Note: When putting wipers back on later make sure the wiper is correctly positioned on the windshield.

6. Remove the wiper motor assembly. It’s three bolts holding on the motor and wiper bar (not sure exactly what it’s called but it’s the entire assembly). Note: the washers will slide off even though they appear attached.

7. Now you can reach the last two plugs. It’s still tight but doable.

Note: When reattaching the upper trim make sure it’s sealed against the windshield correctly. It has a small groove.

I hope this helps others that can’t find any info!

Willl, D-Gunz, Beach Boy and 3 others like this.
  2. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
    If you need to buy the spark plugs I found the best price was Scuderia Parts for the OEM plugs. They were $28 at Scuderia Parts and $46 at Ricambi (before discount code you can find floating around).

whatheheck likes this.
  3. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Hi, do you happen to know what is the NGK part # of the spark plugs ?

4. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
  5. Steve1979

Steve1979 Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowling
    The car didn't have a maintenance history so I replaced everything. Here is a picture of what I presume are the original plugs and the part number above.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Beach Boy likes this.
  6. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Thank you !!!

7. LaPerfectionLouis

Mar 13, 2021
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Aurelien
    Hi Steve,
    I also bought recently a California 2010. I also want to replace some stuff to be sure of the maintenance.
    Could you tell me what did you do also on your car ? Oil change, oil transmission, brake fluid, etc ?
    Thanks so much, p.s. my car is 21,000 miles.

8. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’ve read that the ignition coil packs can stick in place and be difficult to remove. Anyone have any experience with that? There are several different types of coil puller tools on the market, did anybody have to use one?

9. KMac

KMac Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin McClure
    Hi Bill,
    I'm sure there are several 'approved' methods for coil pack removal and they probably have the blessing of Maranello. I learned about this budget solution and it has worked for me. I used zip ties to make a handle and two loops that grab the coil pack top/body. I have pulled one coil pack off of my California, just to see if this was going to work. The coil pack was definitely tight and it took some initial effort but a direct upward pull and it it came out without any issue. Have a look at the photos. Standard disclaimers apply: I'm not a certified Ferrari Technician (and I don't play one on TV!). Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Willl, tomc and Bill Phillips like this.
  10. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Oh wow, that looks like a great solution, thanks!

11. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    This thread help me changing the set on my car .... Thank you

Willl likes this.
  12. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Are you sure about that 5/8” socket? My 5/8” is slightly too small, and it needs a metric 16mm. Which I would think is to be expected with an Italian car and NGK laser platinum plugs. Mine is a 2013, maybe we’re using different spark plugs? I have NGK SPMR8A6HDG.

13. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Well, nevermind, there was a flaw in the rim of my 5/8” socket and the new one works fine.

14. D-Gunz

D-Gunz Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    David W.
    Good beginning instructions! - I wanted to add some tips to help save everyone 1-2 hours of cursing. So like he said above the first 6 plugs are easy peasy. For the driver side some added advice:
    8) there is a black cup like cover in between the 2nd and 3rd plug. Remove the small 8mm screw to "lift" the black lid (don't remove it). This will give you more room to grab spark plug / coil #7. - lift the windshield wiper black cover (don't remove it) - and hold it suspended using a 12" can of anything.
    9) The 8th/final spark plug is a nightmare. To alleviate cursing do the following > remove the wipers as stated above and the motor, and the cover above. There are 3 bolts. Be careful not to drop the 3 washers on the bottom of each bolt (like i did!)
    10) Remove the small black bracket holding the wipe motor wiring to the fire wall + remove the grey plug to the right of this, also attached to the firewall by sliding it up/down. Now unplug the grey harness and completely remove the wipe motor - gives you much more working room.
    11) The 8th coil is blocked by this POS silver AC line and hydraulic lines which you CANT and don't want to move. In order to remove the coil out you need to UNPLUG the coil pack (something I didn't need to do for the other 7 coils)
    12) Push up the tiny yellow lock pin. Now be careful, and use a needle nose plyer but in "Reverse" to unplug the plug from the coil. So really I used the plyer like a reverse vice grip/separator to pull the plug apart.
    13) now with just the coil left, pull and pop it out of the cylinder head, since my hands couldn't fit I used a small plastic trim tool (for taking apart car interior) and pop the coil off, and remove it by twisting down and towards the firewall. It will barely clear the 2 lines I mentioned above.
    14) with coil removed - you have clear access to the 8th plug.
    Took me 2 hours to figure all of this out! - good luck!

Willl and Bill Phillips like this.