My BMW 507 project | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My BMW 507 project

Discussion in 'Other German' started by A12pilot, Jun 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Using some fairing compound, I’m smoothing over the large gaps and getting the curves right. I’ve decided to do the body out of metal and will start that later this month! I’m hoping to have this finished buck done this month and will start on a few hammer bucks for the nose and tail section.

I should be buying the donor car for the main cockpit section in the next week or so too. Starting to work on the windshield frame too.

cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, tritone and Mang like this.
  2. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    mcimino, sainthoo, 4re308 and 2 others like this.
  3. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Looks awesome! How come you decided on a metal body? For the amount of effort you're putting into it it seems like going full bore and making a carbon body would be worth it.

4. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Many reasons for going back to my original plan of making a metal body, but mainly, nobody around here can make a mold or a body for me out of glass. And I really don’t want to mess with all that. I’d really like to have one and maybe one day I will, but right now I can’t find a shop willing to do it.

I grew up in Pennsauken, right next door!

cheers
    Dave

tritone and Jaguar36 like this.
  5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Looking great! Maybe consider some duplicates after the prototype.........:D
    PS: a shot of a 507 from BMW Classic, which is a partner of the Riva Historical Society. This event was at Lago Iseo Italy 2012.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    And they brought the beer too!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino likes this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    NürScud likes this.
  8. Connoisseur_Eddie

May 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eddie Miller
    Hi Dave,

That is actually another dimension of restoring/building then I ever did with my Bimmers.
    Through many years of owning / restoring / taking apart historic BMWs, it also happened that I came into possesion of a side grille for the 507. It is a beautyful piece of art on my office wall :)
    I would be willing to soll it to someone enthusiastic enough to bild his own 507 from scratch. I can send pictures and the part number linking the grille to the serial number of the car it originally belonged to.
    I am very impressed by your work - really looking forward to the result!
    Kind regards,
    Eddie

BTW: There is currently also a front fender for sale in Germany.

9. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Eddie!

PM sent!

Updates to my project are in the works!

Cheers
    Dave

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Well, we're waiting...........:)

11. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ha! Well, it'll be soon, but we're right in the middle of a move so it'll be a couple more weeks.

Thanks for the enthusiasm for my build. I'm excited to get into the new shop and get this thing going again!

Cheers
    Dave

4re308 and Boomhauer like this.
  12. Connoisseur_Eddie

May 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eddie Miller
    Hi Dave,

sorry it took me so long!
    I thought the pictures might be interesting to others as well - we can further discuss via PM.
    The side grille is numbered "016" and first I thought this would mean it belongs to the chassis number 70 016.
    However, during some research (I was eager to find the current owner of the car that the grille once belonged to) I learned that the number is not directly related to the VIN. I have been advised that while all parts of one car received the same number, but the number is not directly related to the chassis number.
    Despite I am still very interested to learn which car it the grille actually belongs to and what its destiny has been since it "lost" its grille, I did not perform any additional research since then.

Kind regards,
    Eddie

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino and 4re308 like this.
  13. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Eddie,

Wow! Awesome! I have a contact that has a 507 that I've been corroborating with on measurements for my project, so I'll ask him if he may know where this may have come from.

We'll chat more on this. I'm in an aircraft seminar today all day, so I'll PM during the breaks. Really excited about that part!

Cheers
    Dave

mcimino likes this.
  14. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have the same company that scanned my model and made my body buck scanning the model again to form solid wood body bucks for the nose and rear section. This will allow me to hammer on it with aluminum sheets to form it to all the curves. Exactly what a hammer buck is used for!

And once Eddie and I corroborate on the side grille, I’ll have that scanned and printed as well as reversed for the other side. Woohoo!

I’m hoping to have the body formed by the end of Summer depending on other projects.

cheers
    Dave

mcimino and 4re308 like this.
  15. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    What a terrific, fun thread! Great work Dave!

16. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Mitch! I’m going to be making a few vids to post up on YouTube as well. Should have done it from the start, but it’s still pretty early on to describe everything.

cheers
    Dave

BJK likes this.
  17. RobJV

RobJV Rookie

Aug 14, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Vandermeer
    Hi Dave,

I just joined the forum today after finding this build thread whilst researching for my planned 507 build.

I’m finding your descriptions and photos extremely helpful in sorting through some ideas and choices I have to make. I’m leaning towards using a Z3 or Z4 as the chassis and drive train and building a plug, mould and then glass body from scratch, although I read that you may be changing tack and are going to make and fit an alloy body.

Given I’m about to tread the same path I’m hoping I can draw a little on your experience and knowledge. In the first instance, did you post videos anywhere and/or have you got a library of photos or info you are willing to share (maybe via Dropbox or similar)?.

I’m based in Melbourne, Australia.

Thank you in advance for anything you can share.

Cheers, Rob

tritone likes this.
  18. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    PM sent Rob!

And for everyone else watching my thread, I am going to start updating again soon. My move has taken longer than expected at the new house getting my shop in order, but it’ll be done in another month for sure and I’ll be back into the 507. My goal is to have it done by next November for a car show I want to unveil it at.
    Cheers
    Dave

tritone likes this.
  19. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey gang,

Sorry for the delay in updates, but our move is finally done and I'm back into building on the 507. I was able to form up the nose and now I'm moving my way back to the fenders! Woohoo!! I get so tickled waking into the shop and seeing the beginnings of a 507 starting at me!
    First try at metal shaping and man it's challenging and fun. I'm going to a class, one on one, with a master coach builder in February to learn more which I'll need to do the larger panels. I'll probably redo them front end too.
    More to come..

Cheers
    Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Moving forward, I fine tuned the front end a little aligning head light buckets, turn signals, and recurving some of the curves I wasn't happy with. I spend a few hours looking over my work comparing photos I've downloaded (about 1000...I know, I got problems!) of a real one to see the small subtleties that I don't want to miss. The small details you get wrong all detract from the original look and I'm trying to be as close as I can to the real thing. I've tightened up the fit and very happy with the results! Of course the final body work will smooth over all the lumps and bumps, but it's getting there.

My 3D guy got the sample parts back to me and man, luckily, I'm pretty darn close to the correct sized opening for the side vents on the fenders. I should have the fully printed parts in a week! I'm doing the same with the front grilles. Remember, all I did was measure that model and multiply everything by 18 since it's 1/18th scale. Pretty damn close!

I'm very fortunate to have befriended a gentleman who's scanned almost every part of a 507 he had and was going to restore, but sold. Additionally, another contact has restored 5 and he's giving me great tutoring on how to form the panels and such. Invaluable assets on this daunting project!

Fender forming follies to follow!!

Cheers
    Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Happy new year, gang!

Parts are back from the printer and I've been working on the front and fabricated up a fender, beginning of the cowl panel, and starting on the other fender. My initial measurements on the car are just about spot on as these parts fit up nicely in my openings on the buck. Range of emotions holding the parts up....I'm lucky, shocked they fit, and relieved all at the same time. But, that's a testament to knowing that model is accurate and my buck is too. Phew!!

I've decided after some professional council that I'll be building a custom chassis for it too. Later this week I head to visit a real one and get some measurements and photos. So excited!!

Cheers
    Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, BJK, Mang and 3 others like this.
  22. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Driver's side fender is basically done, and I have done some more cutting and splicing on the front end to fit the grilles better. I'll do the final bodywork later, but for now it's a better fit than it was. The trunk panel fits the buck nicely too!

Time to move to the rear! I need to make a cart to mount the front on so I can fabricate the trunk gutter and fender lips in the door jamb area. Once I get the 62 Corvette I'm working on beside it out of the way I'll start on making the frame structure.

Moving right along! Hope you enjoy the pics!

Cheers
    Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, tritone, Schultz and 2 others like this.
  23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    wow - how times have changed! Anything is possible! :eek: :D
    old man: "You guys have it easy today! We didn't have no god damned printers! We made parts with our bare hands and maybe a file if we were lucky! .............. :p

mcimino and tritone like this.
  24. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh, it's amazing everything that can be done today with technology. You could probably print the car off the funding allowed it!! Originally, I was going to use those parts and make sand molds so I could cast the parts out of bronze then plate. But these were pretty solid, sturdy parts and right now, they're off getting vacuum plated. I'll keep you guys updated!

Here's a few of the front end and rear quarters done and primed up. I say done but it's just the skin with gutters, flanges, and final bodywork to be done, obviously. Up next will be to start on building the frame and inner structure so I can then mount these panels up. After that, hood, doors, and trunk lid. I'm thinking of making those out of Aluminum.

More progress pics soon!

Cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, jm2 and tritone like this.
  25. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Best thread on FChat, by far!!!

UroTrash likes this.