C8 CORVETTE | Page 57 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Don't know if your on the Corvette Forum but this issue has been well documented over there. Something about it turns the Onstar "On" and it stays on and drains your battery unless you catch it.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes I saw that. Its an Onstar issue even if you aren't subscribed. But it must draw a hell of a lot of current to drain a fully charged battery in just 4 hours

The other issue is Onstar warmed me of a low voltage battery --- 3 hours after I found the car dead. I think it could not warm me at the time because it was stuck in update mode. When we tried to jump the car the first time, the dead battery finally shut off Onstar and it reset to send the low voltage warning.

Its all very weird. You would think the software would have some kind of cut off time or low voltage check to stop the process if something goes wrong.

Last thing. The MyChevy app refuses to open. I'm guessing its because it can't get any data from Onstar.

3. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    If I look at all this realistically, from my point of view, I would rather do without a lot of the new tech and go back to the basics. Its nice to have all this new stuff but at what cost? This should not be happening but it is and its not just Chevy. My new Ferrari is having its share of Tech problems.

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My issue is GM is one of the largest auto companies in the world. Ferrari is one of the smallest. GM shouldn't be sending out software that kills their own cars in a matter of hours.

Yes, both are bad. But GM has little excuse given its vast resources.

My Alfa 4c is REALLY basic. But one pin in the ECU broke and the dealer gave me an ESTIMATE of $10,000 to replace the box and the complete wiring loom on the car to fix one radiator fan from not coming on.

RADIATOR FAN!

5. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    All I can say is..WOW! Did you get rid of the car?

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Found someone to fix it.

7. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Best of luck with the C8

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Still waiting for the dealer to get back to me. I don't expect a call for a few days.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Sounds like a salvage car now. Sell it to me cheap so I can race it.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Really lame and I'd be pissed at GM. I expect this kind of thing from Ferrari but not from GM. Theya re dumb sometimes but to kill the fleet is just inexcusable.

TheMayor likes this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Believe me the first night of this ordeal I was plenty pissed. Its lucky I really didn't need the car to go somewhere.

It was completely inexcusable though. Some numb nut didn't do his job right.

12. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    At a huge corporation like GM, it got f'd up by committee most likely. ;) :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pawilly likes this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So I'm driving this Chevy SUV they gave me and you can see all the same stuff in the C8. Like the start button, the window switches, the stalks, the TFT screen and software, the volume control, etc. Even rubber buttons to open the trunk are the same.

Chevy lifted a lot from other cars but I don't blame them. Alfa did the same across their line for 40 years to make sports cars. And the goal was to get the car at a really good price so that's the sacrifice you make. But you would have thought they would have at least changed the graphics on the buttons. Everything looks really familiar.

15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe they accidentally gave you a secret 2023 C8 SUV prototype?:eek:

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Well documented issues over at corvette forum. Talked to a friend who works for Hendricks and problems are not uncommon with the C8.

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Pawilly and slm like this.
  18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    The downside of being an early adopter. :eek: ;) The price you pay for being the first on your block with the all new (except for a few switches :oops:) cool toy. :cool: :D

19. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Chevy has been doing this on Corvette interiors since the C4. Not sure about the earlier ones. This was part of the overall GM plan from the late 70's to share across brands like forcing Pontiac, Olds and Buick to use the Chevy sorry GM corporate engines. Those purest hated it.

pearsonhaus likes this.
  20. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Curious. What model Chevy SUV?

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Equinox.

22. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Thanks.

23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The old Corvette orange compares with the old Porsche color Tangerine and the new orange compares with Porsche Lava Orange. I had two Porsches in Tangerine and none in Lava and just has a discussion on this subject. The guys I talked to vastly preferred the more “red” Orange Tangerine and disliked the new Lava Orange but then that was Porsche guys not Corvette guys. I just ordered new car in Guards Red which is closer to Tangerine (now a PTS color @ $12k) and is not a premium color. So everyone’s preference is different- the new look in this venue seems to be the more orangie orange than the more red orange. :rolleyes:

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    UPDATE:

About 3PM today the dealer called. Said that everything has been done in the car (recharge the battery, complete the updates, check the AC, and replace 2 rims). The complete radio has to be replaced to fix my Home button issue (which I really want fixed). They should receive the replacement radio module on Monday but its the tech's day off. So they feel it might be done on Tuesday or at worst Wednesday. I really don't care as I have their SUV. So lets see what comes next!

of2worlds and thecarreaper like this.
  25. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Brought my C8 in for the wheel inspection today. Not sure it matter but I have the optional wheel design. No porosity or cracks found. Also, two other open recall items that were trivial were addressed (radio frequency printed incorrectly in owners manual, so it got a sticker printed and frunk recall was verified as done via over the air update previously). 1 hour inconvenience was not too bad. I guess I got lucky :) with mine.