Strange Question - Original Valve Stem Cores | FerrariChat

Strange Question - Original Valve Stem Cores

Discussion in '308/328' started by yank05, May 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi,

I know this is an odd question, but before I deflate a tire on my ‘76 308 and remove a valve stem core (I believe mine may be original, but not 100% sure), does anyone happen to have a pic of an original core handy? I’m curious to see what they look like.

I will be refinishing my wheels over the summer (finally, after planning to do this 7 years ago). I took my spare to a reputable shop (that I trust with wheels/tires) to simply to de-mount a very old XWX. When I picked it up, the owner indicated he had thrown the valve stem core away (thankfully not the stem!!). I was not happy. I will be going back on Monday to search the trash for it, as I like to keep ALL original parts! ; /

Thanks,

Anthony

2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Most cars seem to still have the original spare. It would look like that one.

3. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The originals are from Michelin and all aluminum. I have a pic somewhere. I'll look for it.

Rifledriver likes this.
  4. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    #4 yank05, May 22, 2021
    Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Great - thank you! The core from the spare tire is the one I no longer have due to the shop”s error! When I go back on Monday, if I know what the original looks like, I’ll search for it!

BTW, just to clarify, I’m referring to the actual valve core itself (the valve mechanism that sits inside the original metal stem).

Thanks,

Anthony

5. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thank you very much for the picture and taking the time to post! I have the original valve stems, I was actually referring to the inner valve core itself ! ; ). That why I prefaced the thread with “strange” question ; ) lol. Again, thank you though!

Anthony

6. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The cores are no different than any other valve stem core.

7. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    All the original valve stem cores should be replaced with new ones. The springs are worn out over time in the valve stem.
    The new ones will have a better seal.

Rosey and ferrariowner like this.
  8. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I know ; ). I just wanted to see the exact core that was used in-period - I like to get into the details.

I wouldn’t use them, but would keep them (if I had them) as history of the car.

Anthony

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    What they did is "best practice" and I have to agree with others here, the best way to avoid a flat tire.

10. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Agree - just was curious to see one - doubtful my main wheels have originals, but maybe the spare did. I would set them aside, but keep them. Being an engineer in aerospace, I would treat them as flight critical. Being a vintage car enthusiast, I would keep them aside as part of the car’s history.

Anthony

11. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Saabguy likes this.
  13. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    #14 yank05, May 22, 2021
    Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Do you believe that to be an original from the car? If so, the valve-head itself is brass (or brass in color) - this is good to know. I would source new ones that look similar after I re-finish my wheels....it’s the little things... ; )

Thank You,

Anthony

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In my experience no and in my experience that core will not fit in at least many of the factory valve stems. The Michelin cores are very short and slightly different design than a standard schrader.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    On the left is a Michelin schrader valve. The right is a more common schrader. I know in many of the Ferrari alloy stems a non Michelin valve will not fit. I have been through that many times when a tire shop lets the core fly and finds they have nothing that will replace it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Saabguy and GordonC like this.
  16. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thanks for the great information and pics! I really appreciate it! I am assuming one still still purchase new Michelin units.....

Anthony

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It was a real problem for a while. When having tires mounted for customer cars I had to go through a song and dance with the guys actually doing the installing. Then one time I showed the guy the core and he said "Thats just a Michelin core.....we got those". Never a problem since so I guess they are in wide distribution now and tire shops are aware. A couple of times years ago I had to get new Ferrari stems so I could rob the cores.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I was told by an automotive historian that the schrader valve is the oldest technology used on modern automobiles.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  20. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    These were the original schrader valves still in my original wheel valve stems with the original tires still on my 308 in 1978.
    Tire numbers match dealer warranty book.
    I have since changed to new tires and replaced the old style schrader valve.

21. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Great - thanks very much for the input!

22. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Oh wow - when I go back to the shop on Monday to retrieve mine, I’ll look for this type and the one posted by Brian. Thanks again!