How do I remove a Mondial ignition switch? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How do I remove a Mondial ignition switch?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Birdman, Sep 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
  2. snoutmeat

snoutmeat Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I know this thread is many years old, but...once the whole mechanism is out, how does the key part separate from the electrical switch part? In my case, I have the whole mechanism out of the steering column and on my desk. The electrical half is fine, but the mechanical part (that the key goes into) is not. I see online that the key part (SIPEA 50050) is widely available, but I can't see how to separate the two halves to replace just the key half.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    I never did it, but according to #22: Insert the key, turn it to position II and press the locking pin.

4. snoutmeat

snoutmeat Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. This is AFTER the key has been turned to position II and the locking pin has been depressed. This IS the inner portion. But I'm still hoping to split this part in two....the front half (left side in photo) is the part that the key goes into -- it's a mechanical lock mechanism. The part in the back (right side of the photo) is the electric switch. If you look at post #19 and #20 in this thread, there's a photo of the unit separated into two pieces. The key/lock half (Sipea 50050) is apparently widely used in many Fiats and Alfas; there are several on eBay right now; however, the electric switch and wires coming out the back vary from model to model (even though they are all labeled Sipea 50050!); if I can get the two halves apart, then I can order one of the eBay units and swap in the front (key half); I would also be able to start the car with a screwdriver until the new lock arrives!
    Earlier in this thread, I see that one person removed just the electrical component by removing "the two machine screws". I also see that he did this job on a 328, so I wonder if the 328 has a different unit than the QV. I don't see any screws or any obvious way that they come apart. They almost look riveted together. They pull apart about 1/8 of an inch and feel like they are held together with a spring; when I let go, they snap back together again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    snoutmeat likes this.
  6. snoutmeat

snoutmeat Rookie

Jun 23, 2013