599 6-1 headers | Page 4 | FerrariChat

599 6-1 headers

Discussion in '612/599' started by DZ-96, Sep 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Daniel, what is the weight saving? Thanks, Olivier.

2. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Sorry Oliver, I don't know.

Daniel

odf911 likes this.
  3. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    My best estimate is:

599 GTB headers with pre cats are approx. 7kg each (primary cats are smaller and I weighed them at 6 kg each). Four of them is 28 kg. Extension pipes are an estimated 3 kg each. Two of them is 6 kg. Total is a conservative 34 kg for stock.

If you go with the 6-1 race version (14.5 kg) and stock primary cats, the weight saving should be at least 19.5 kg.

If you go for the 6-1 catalyzed version (18.5 kg) and delete the primary cats (another 7.5 kg saving), the weight saving should be at least 23kg.

Does that sound about right?

4. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Here are the weights of the original headers

Left
    Header front 5,3 Kg
    Header rear 4,8 Kg
    Y pipe 3,0 Kg

Right
    Header front 5,1 Kg
    Header rear 4,8 Kg
    Y pipe 2,7 Kg

For the 2 cats I have no exact weight, a guy said 5,5 Kg each.

Daniel

George Vosburgh likes this.
  5. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Thanks Daniel very helpful! Stock a bit lighter than I originally calculated...

6. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    The next weeks Fabio will start with 2 silencers, which I will get.
    They replace the connection tubes between the cats and the mid section, so they are like the original sec cats.
    I want to reduce the noise a little bit.

Updates will follow.

Daniel

Skidkid and George Vosburgh like this.
  7. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have taken the plunge and ordered a set from Fabio for my 599. Cat version with secondary bypass pipes. I am going to keep the stock mufflers for now and see how it sounds.
    Lead time is a bit long because he is backordered on the cats, but expecting to receive everything in August.
    I will update this thread with install pics, and of course some video of the sound. Very excited!

George Vosburgh, F3RN4ND0 and Skidkid like this.
  8. KB599GTB

KB599GTB Rookie

Feb 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Karl Bussey
    Congradulations. I am still thinking about a set also for my 599. I am interested in hearing how you like the sound and hope you can post
    some sound comparison videos. Are you installing yourself or what shop will install for you? Do you currently have the bypass pipes on?

Skidkid likes this.
  9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I wouldn't want my 599 to be as loud as headers and bypass pipes. Headers & cats vs stock headers & bypass pipes is an interesting question.

10. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, I deliberated long and hard about whether to go with his catless headers or the catted ones, as the price difference is very significant.
    My car is currently completely stock. I have heard videos of the full catless setup (including his mufflers), and it's incredible, but I think that would be too loud for my tastes. Not to mention CEL issues (trying to find a trustworthy tuner to eliminate that function in the ECU, etc.).
    I just sold my 430 which had fabspeed headers and stock cats and muffler. The 430 has precats in the headers (like the OEM 599 headers), and then the large main cats, and then the muffler. The fabspeed headers eliminate the pre-cats, and it makes quite a difference in the volume with the valves open. If this setup from Fabio results in similar volume, I will be very happy. It eliminates the precats in the headers, and obviously the secondary cat bypass pipes, so all you have is the 200 cell race cats, which should be far less restrictive than the OEM stuff, so I'm expecting it to produce quite a bit more noise.

I am installing myself. I am sure it's going to be a huge pain (I have a 4-post lift which may help a bit, depending on how much access there is from underneath with the belly pan removed), but it should be doable.

11. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    Interestingly, I have been through all of this with both a 430 and 599.

I installed non-cat headers with mineral heat tape and Fabspeed blankets and the factory sport mufflers (not the single suitcase). This sounds great, but is not one of those "high pitched" setups. When the valves are closed, it is possible to sneak around town. With the valves open, hold on! The good thing about the factory sport mufflers is that they are easy to install and they have a Ferrari label if needed later for resale. I left the factory cats in place and used mini cat extenders to make the 2007 Motronic happy.

By the way, I made a smoke generator that quickly showed that I had a bad OEM header when I bought the 430. I used a gallon paint can and rigged two air fittings on the lid. One 3/8 hose went to the exhaust pipes that were otherwise plugged with rags and the other fitting went to 2 PSI air. I started the air flowing and heated a couple ounces of mineral oil (the type your grandmother used as a laxative) in the can to supply smoke to the exhaust pipes. Smoke quickly poured out of the heat shield on the bad header.

I installed the Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes in my 2009 599. This is a great mod for almost no money and does not affect the engine management system in any way. The 599 was way too quiet from the factory. It now sounds like a Ferrari when the valves open. I tried disconnecting the valve hoses and plugging them. This produced a little more drone than I liked when operating in close quarters. I might install a switch to control the valves. Installing new headers on the 599 was more than I wanted to go through. Things are tight in there!

12. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #87 DZ-96, Jul 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Chris

right decision to go with the cats.
    And it's loud enough, for me (in Germany) too loud, so Fabio designed some small silencers for me which will be installed after his cats.
    In some weeks I should get them.

Daniel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  13. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    The stock 599 GTB mufflers have no silence effect with valves open !
    The main tube goes straight-line through the muffler housing, no holes in the tube.

So, with original exhaust system, you have 6 cats which reduce the noise at open valves.
    With Fabios system and GTB mufflers, you have only 2 large cats which reduce the noise.

The GTO has different mufflers.
    They don' have the small tube inside the housing, so the function must be different.
    I think they reduce the sound also with valves open, because they must have some holes in the main tubes.

So Fabios system with stock GTB headers is louder than GTO spec, at valves open.

Daniel

14. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is great info, thanks Daniel!
    When installing, did you attempt to access from underneath also? Or just from the top side? I would think the rear manifolds closest to the firewall may be easier to get to from underneath, but I have not yet had my 599 on the lift with the underpanel off so I'm not sure how much access there is.

15. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    It's a 25 hours job from top and down and sometimes from a direction nobody knows.

You need good and also different tools, especially for the 12mm nuts from the original manifolds.
    Some nuts you have to open with 3 different tools, 10° with tool 1, 10° with tool 2, 10 ° with tool 3, then again tool 1, ....

It's no fun, but possible.

Daniel

16. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
  17. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
  18. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Fabio's silencers arrived thuesday.
    I installed them at thuesday evening but was only able to drive 5 km.

Today I drove about 100 km with them.

And I have to say : PERFECT !!!

This is how I wished it from the beginning.
    Very silent with closed valves, excellent drivable with autovalve function.
    With valves open in auto mode the difference is not as high as before, it is much more harmonic from open to closed valves.
    Valves permanent open is as it should be, loudness at a perfect level.
    High pitch sound is there like before.

Now the car is perfect for me.

I would say, the loudness level is like at a 812 or F12.

I try to make some videos later.

Daniel

599_GTO, Makuono and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  19. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    It's impressive, that these small silencers eat so much decibel.
    Absolute no drone, high pitch sound at an acceptable level.

The (for me) much too loud "trumpet" sound between 3 and 4000 rpm at valves open is now at an absolute acceptable level.

Now I'm sooooooo happy with the 599 and the 550 and the installed 6-1 headers.

Daniel

George Vosburgh, MRY and Makuono like this.
  20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, if I had the 6:1 headers I would look at silencers or cats. With stock headers the straight pipe works well. Congrats and I look forward to the sound clip.

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Lots of science in exhausts, but eventually it is trial and error until you get what you like. Glad it worked out for you, Daniel.

22. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Glad you are happy with the setup, Daniel!
    Fabio has made my headers and is waiting for one more piece of raw materials to arrive in Sept before he completes everything.
    I am very excited to get them on! I will document the process here and of course share some video clips once installed :)

23. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Daniel, what was the lead time ? I did order parts for France 7 weeks ago...

24. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Xavier

I don't remember exactly, but 8 weeks is normal.
    Also, in august many shops in Italy has closed, perhaps the welder is in holiday too.

Daniel