NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 88 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Agree, hopefully LB will look a lot better with the flying buttress making a comeback. Day355 seems to think it’s a handsome car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

TheMayor likes this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think little brother will be another benchmark car for Ferrari like the 458 was versus the 360 variations before it. To me the 458 can potentially be a classic (albeit they made a lot of them) but the NA Flat plane crank and DCT along with its good clean looks has that potential.

Little brother will be another complete ground up design. If they style it correctly, it could be the most popular exotic Hybrid ever made.

3. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    Isn't F171 a new V6?

4. Art_collector

Art_collector Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    I don’t think that the F8 will continued long as well. I think the sales will drop hard and at the end they still wanna try to sell some cars on that platform. That’s why I think they going to make a “VS” of the F8 to boost the sales there again.

I can’t believe that Ferrari will make a car with more hp (F171) and make it cheaper then the F8. This is the change for them to step up in the pricing game and I think they will do it. So that’s why I think that the V6 hybride isn’t the direct replacement (price wise) of the F8. If the pricing will start at 300k I think there will be place for a smaller more drivers (V6 without hybride a real Dino) of 200-230k. It will also be strange in my opinion that the sf90 start at 450k with 1000hp and that the V6 hybride will start at 200k with 750-800 hp.

But maybe I’m wrong but i hope for this line up.

200k V6 Turbo mid engine (New Dino)
    300k V6 hybride mid engine (F171)
    300k V8 Turbo mid engine (F8 VS)
    450k V8 hybride mid engine (SF90)
    600k V12 NA mid engine (replacement of the 812)

5. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    F171 is the car's project code
    F163 is the engine's project code

Senna1994 and ingegnere like this.
  6. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Pista weights 1530.
    It’s more like 1500, than 1600 )

1600 is “ordinary” 488

Senad and ingegnere like this.
  7. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Compare to this the V6 Artura (with plastic floor pan and bulkheads but with aluminum frame extensions forward and aft plus steel or aluminum roof) at 1500 kg and the V6 MC20 with Dallara built CF chassis also at around 1500 kg.

So in LB, the more compact V6 and new generation platform (compared to 488 and Pista) should compensate for battery and motor weight and it should be expected to come in under the weight of the 488.

Pretty sure most buyers don’t mind (or will ever notice) a difference in weight of less than 6% but they’ll surely notice the difference of a wide cockpit versus the hip squeezing of the Mac due to the large sill width and height—which,BTW, is probably a larger contributor to chassis stiffness than the material.

In the meantime, Porsche keeps making steel bodied cars that go really fast and sell really well.

F140C, mofatmi9, dpw98 and 6 others like this.
  8. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    You’re absolutely right just a few grams heavier than the announced 1290kg.
    The 756 LT is the same, the real weight is about 2167 kg. They all lie.

9. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    McLaren claims 1230 dry weight for 765lt, and real weight of the car 1400.
    I know, Ferrari dry weight too low = liars.
    Mc = gods of carbon tubes.

ingegnere likes this.
  10. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    The problem is that Ferrari only quotes dry weight which is BS!
    Mclaren and everyone else also quite DIN as it should be.
    It’s the shadiness of Ferrari that pisses me off.
    They have great products, stop being shady, there’s no need.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    The only good thing about the LB is that it will make the F8 cheap and then I will nail one for 150k less and can spend the same amount in gas.

Art_collector likes this.
  12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    You don’t have to put the 765LT on scales to know it’s extremely lightweight. It feels lightweight.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    The owners manual states all 3 weights for the 765LT, and was proven highly accurate on independent tests.
    I recall the same tester weighed the Ferrari’s and they had more variance vs factory claim.
    To keep it honest.

Thecadster and ScrappyB like this.
  14. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That’s the carbon tub for you. No matter how many times Ferrari apologists claim that the carbon tub makes no difference, those that have had extensive seat time in a carbon know that it makes a massive difference.

I agree with you whole heartedly. The carbon cars “feel” so light nimble.

15. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    My dealer confirms this. In fact the GM stated the design will be the most extensive since they went to the 360 from the 355.

adall, 9nb, Thecadster and 1 other person like this.
  16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The carbon tub also has advantages in packaging that the aluminum can't do. Particularly with spiders. Also advantages in crash protection over aluminum.

Caeruleus11 and SoCal to az like this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    People
    Can talk all about how porsche doesn’t do carbon but the Porsche cult is much bigger than the Ferrari cult. This is same comp yea no that charges 18k for the Weissach Package. A package the reduced 20 pounds from the weight of the car and you have the enthusiasts lining up for it drives.

Yes the carbon tub makes a massive difference, especially so in spiders.

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

If I may put a counter point though: An exotic car is also (IMO) a piece of art. When I would look into the engine bay of my F430 spider and see the perfect welds of the aluminum frame, you just wonder at the ability of a worker to be so skilled they could make something so perfect and beautiful.

I wonder if in the age of speed we have lost something from the age of craftsmanship.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t disagree but that’s a tough argument to make cause there really aren’t any workers involved- just cad design and robots for the most part. But your point in general is a valid one.

Boomhauer and TheMayor like this.
  20. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    This is a valid point when talking about exotics. Today I would even say, that from a craftmanship point of view there is even more beauty in a hand-layered carbon chassis than there is in an alu spaceframe put together by some robots.

Tomw384 and SoCal to az like this.
  21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    McLaren or Maserati are not hand-making their carbon tubs though, that's not economically sustainable for the (relatively) high production volumes.

fil, REALZEUS and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    This is getting exciting, I hope they go a different direction to the SF90’s exterior design and have them be separate models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. While a carbon tub is fantastic for driving dynamics and making the car more lithe and light on its feet, it also makes the interior a bit more cramped, especially the footwell area. It also limits the tire sizes (width) that can be used, esp. in the front.

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This would be the one engineering negative. Mac's are more difficult to get in and out of. However, its gotten better over the years.

Caeruleus11 and Senna1994 like this.
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree.