512tr depreciation | FerrariChat

512tr depreciation

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by scycle2020, Sep 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    where will the 512tr prices be in 5, 10 , 20 and 30 years from now..... the prices appear pretty steady at this time and i believe about 2000 were made..will they become collectables in the future or will the price drop over time?

2. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    Very hard to predict. A lot will depend on if the design is judged to be a "classic" in the long term. Most Ferraris go through 3 stages (new 1-5 yrs, recent used 5-10 yrs, out of fashion/no mans land 10-20yrs, classic 20+) before achieving classic status. Suggest you look at Boxer (365 GTB/4 & 512 BB's) price trends as a benchmark.

3. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I love my 512TR but I doubt that the large numbers made of 512's & TR's will ever allow them to rise to serious collector status. The ultra expensive cost of maintenance works against them as well.

4. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004

No way, not ever. It has nothing going for it that hal a dozen other models and makes also have in their favor. Drive it to the max. - the car will last longer and give less trouble that way.

Now if either of the Johns were to win a purple heart on a CA freeway...a horse of a different color I believe.

5. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I love my 512TR but I doubt that the large numbers made of 512's & TR's will ever allow them to rise to serious collector status. The ultra expensive cost of maintenance works against them as well.

6. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    Cars typically are poor investments, exotics should be valued for the enjoyment they bring you. Drive it, have fun with it but don't plan on it feeding you when you are old.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think most of the price is dropping right now so its a very good time to buy. You can find a 512TR for $85k now, I cant imagine them getting under $70k as thats where 328s are.

Labor is expensive, but its 1 of the msot beautiful cars of all time & she loves to run :)

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Well put, Stuart.

My 330's on the other end of the spectrum. It completely lacks the visual impact of a TR, but it's also much more rare, and comparatively simple to work on.

9. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Who is getting $70K for a 328?

Llenroc likes this.
  10. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    I was offered a nice 92 512 for $67k last year and passed on it. The guy did sell it a week later though.

11. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I thought 100k for a really low mi. 512 and maybe 85k for one with more miles.

12. Driven1413

Driven1413 Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #12 Driven1413, Sep 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Boston Sportscar has for sale a freshly serviced 1989 Red/Black 328GTS w/ 1069 original miles for around $73,000. Check out www.BostonSportsCar.com for details. The car is pictured below.....

* They recently sold a 1989 Green/Tan 328GTB w/ similar miles for the same price. Both cars belonged to the same owner since new. This car can be seen on their website as well.

Alex
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    You can still get very nice 328's in Europe for a little more than half that. THe very low mileage would also make me nervous. Ferrari's need to be driven.

14. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I watch the prices and deals on these cars and I think your bottom range is high. High mileage, in need of service, etc cars are out there South of $85K. Later 512's low mileage, service and perfect might bring $100K or slightly more. The 512M is a whole notch higher.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Alex,
    Those aren't cars, those are "museum peices" that get trailered from show to show...

16. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    If Ferrar continues to make "GTs" that look like ordinary cars, as opposed to ultra exotics like the mid-engined flat 12s, I believe the long term investment op on a 512TR/M is good. It is a stunning car. It was big by sports car standards in its day but is now eclipsed by many other sports cars. What else can you buy today that is mid-engined and has a flat 12 that was developed for Le Mans? Nothing. How about a mid-engined V12? Pagani, Enzo, Murcielago? All of which cost $$$. It's a classic representative of a particular era. Here in LA it gets more looks than a Maranello or 360. While it will never be a seven figure car, I suspect the 512TR/M will settle at a level comparable to Daytonas. Of course, Testarossas will be somewhat cheaper as they don't have the kick in the but the TR/M has.

boxerman likes this.
  17. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I have never seen a 512TR even close to 85K.

Even 1992 models are still selling at 100K.

In my opinion, the 512TR will never get below 80K. At that point, the value will increae--either because of inflation or because of appreciation of the car (pun intended :)).

18. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Exactly, just like everyone here on the forum said, they are going to be total crap, so act quickly and sell your car to me for $10.00 USD..... come to think of it, you should just give it to me and claim it as a tax deduction.

19. reedferrari

reedferrari Rookie

Apr 8, 2021
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Reed
    Me laughing in 2021 when prices are crazy and rocketing to popular collectibles :):D

Ps. Im looking to buy a red 512tr

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    If the NWO gets their way, we won’t have fuel in just 9 more years. Your tr will be nothing more than a museum decoration. Read the light hearted, seemingly innocuous text here:

https://sdgs.un.org/2030agenda

The devil is in the details.... literally.

Biden is already shutting down pipelines in the US. Shutting down fracking. Shutting down drilling. Fortunately, though, he is helping Russia build pipelines to make the EU fully dependent on them. When they cross the border, everybody will already be shivering. Americans won’t be there to bail the EU out.... we’ll be busy in Asia.

The world is nuts. Enjoy your tr while you can.

Capt. Rich likes this.
  21. reedferrari

reedferrari Rookie

Apr 8, 2021
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Reed
    It was under my understanding that all new production cars will have to be electric but you can still drive and buy used gas cars?

I wonder how that will effect the pricing though.

Im on the hunt for a red 512!

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    a little less than a TR512 ;)

23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008