Mission Impossible! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mission Impossible!

Discussion in '206/246' started by sturrisi, Apr 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Nice car! Your hardware is looking in remarkable good condition with very little corrosion. The doors on these cars are not for the faint heart'ed to dismantle. You are getting there, well done!

Best, Peter

2. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi Sam, I am so happy that you were able to get the vent window out. The front channel is the most logical place where the vent window can get struck due to how tight it is.

3. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
    GermanDino and dgt like this.
  4. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
    Hi all, Mission Impossible continues!!

Today I spent all day trying to remove the last item to come of my Dino but not able to do so.

I have been trying to remove the foot-well as a complete unit without making any cuts to the fiberglass. It went in as one piece by the factory on manufacture and there must be a way to remove it also as one piece.

All rivets are out and all mastic/ seam sealer has also been remove/ cut out. The unit is free to move in all directions but just a little and removing it from the car without cutting it seems impossible.

It is wedged in at the top right and left hand corners behind a metal lip.

Had several attempts removing it bottom out first but no luck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

So, here we are again with what seems as an impossible task. All suggestions welcomed.
    Sam

5. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
  6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    You absolutely need to cut it. It is impossible otherwise. Also it is best to cut off the bracket for the front bonnet release. It makes removing the fiberglass much easier and is simply held on with some MIG welds that are easy to put back on later.

7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Sam,
    No need to cut... pictures below say 1000 words.
    1. Grind the welds on the bonnet catch lever and bend up out of the way so the top corner can come out.
    2. Drill the rivets and remove the metal plate attached to the footwell fiberglass behind the steering wheel mount.
    3. Bend the top down using a bar (see the yellow breaker bar in photo) so the top LH corner can pull in towards the centre of the car and slip one side out
    4. slide to get the other top corner out (RH in my case)
    5. rotate up to pull out

This was also fiberglassed to the chassis rails at the front with strips and chopped glass, these should come off pretty easily to release the bottom, ditto for under the hood where it's fully glassed around the tubes on each top side.
    I cut the first one I did and after all the re-fibreglassing was done I had a few pedal alignment issues so best to align back in exactly the same rivet holes when it goes back.
    cheers, Andrew

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Andrew has done two and I’ve only done one so I’d try it his way first. The one for sure is the need to move the bonnet release support. In my case it looked like the steering wheel support was welded in after the fiberglass and there was no way of removing the panel without a little cutting but different cars could have been trimmed differently allowing Andrew’s method to work well. Moving the bonnet release is easy but I was not about to remove the steering support.

If you have to cut don’t worry because once reinstalled and mended the repair is invisible.

dgt likes this.
  9. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
    A big thanks to Andrew, Rob and Russell.

Spend all day today trying to remove the footwell, and I thought that removing the doors was difficult!! This was vastly even more difficult.

Yes, I did remove the bonnet release bracket to create a clear opening. We could get it to wriggle a little but that was it. No amount of pushing, shoving, levering or hammering with a big rubber mallet made any difference. It was solidly wedged in and not going to shift. It was all too rigid for it to flex enough to do what Andrew suggests and get one corner out.

It appears to me that it must have been installed into the car when it was at frame only stage prior to body panels being fitted and was now caged- in by the door hinge pillar frame. Cutting the top right and left corners was the only option, which I did. This allowed a little forward movement on the LHS but made not much difference to RHS. It was sitting in there like a glove and was not going to come out.

Using a steel bar, a block of wood and a big rubber mallet we were able to get it to move a little but then it became wedged in between the door frame and the steering support bracket. The simplest solution was to cut a small strip in the opening for the steering bracket. Again, this can be dealt with later. I agree with Rob and I also think that removing the steering support was not an option that I would consider.

With repeated hammering, pushing , shoving and levering it finally gave way and with great joy we were able to get it out.

Another impossible task accomplished!!! Thank you all for your encouragement.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The next step for me is to set up the rotisserie. I will need to make some brackets for telescopic attachment to the rotisserie arms.
    What would be a good working distance from the car to the rotisserie? I thought maybe 400mm?

Regards Sam

dgt likes this.
  10. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Great stuff, it's hard work getting it all apart.
    I reckon there is about 300mm between the body and the rig on mine, it was enough room for the body shop to work and install the grill while keeping the overall length under control so it can fit in a truck or the spray booth. 400mm seems OK too. Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
    Thank you Andrew.
    All good at this stage until the next drama which I'm sure there will be more to come.
    regards Sam