Ceramic Coating worth it? | FerrariChat

Ceramic Coating worth it?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by THE VATICANTS, May 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE VATICANTS

THE VATICANTS Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Is Ceramic Coating worth it for my Cali T and/or 458? Has anyone done it? All gimmicks or is it really something that makes a big difference? Thnx.

2. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would say for a black car absolutely

For another color it helps

Easier to wash and keep clean

3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    F2003-GA, Boomhauer, BJK and 2 others like this.
  4. Have it on all my cars (GT3, GT3RS, 488, Pista).

Makes cleaning easier, and also easier on the eyes (nice glossy wet look).

LARRYH, jm2 and Thecadster like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    LARRYH, iMrMark, BJK and 2 others like this.
  6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    meh, I'm one of those that wasn't impressed, not relative to the cost.

Does it "help"?

Sure.

Is it "worth it"?

Not for me (on my $65,000 maser I put it on). But I imagine for those with loads more money than me and those putting it on far more expensive cars, then "sure" it is.

If money is tight for cosmetic/protection improvements to one's exotic car, I would prioritize the money go to clear bra coverage before ceramic coating. (again, if money is a trade-off, if you can easily afford both, then sure, do that)

randkin likes this.
  7. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    I’m very interested in seeing this topic as well. I just bought a new Jaguar SVR (F Pace version) yesterday and they are putting CilaJet ceramic coating on it. I guess they put this stuff on the interior and wheels as well.
    They don’t put clear bra on at my dealership. I know I can get it done elsewhere but decided just to put this ceramic coating on for now.
    My goal was to be able to have the car clean as easily as possible since as it will be a daily driver and driven in the winter and salt.
    Anybody know anything about CilaJet??
    Definitely not an expensive to put on.
    The job retailed at 1500 but they will do it for 999.

jm2 likes this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john

Parnelli likes this.
  9. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Sorry, I meant

“definitely not an INexpensive thing to put on”

10. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    Just as an FYI - you will need to have the ceramic coating removed before you put any clear bra/PPF on in the future.

There are many brands of ceramic coatings being sold in the market these days. Most of the cost is not in the product itself, but the labor to fully clean the car, remove oils, etc. and then to properly install the ceramic.

The ceramic will make it much easier to clean the car - you might want to also consider what is referred to as a wheels-off package. The wheels are removed and ceramic is applied on the interior, to the caliper, etc. Many foreign cars create a lot of brake dust, which is hard to really clean. The ceramic will help in these areas as well - assuming you are a clean car fanatic!

The $999 for the install is a reasonable price. Unfortunately I can't give you an opinion on the CilaJet.

Parnelli likes this.
  11. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Thanks JM. I’m actually sitting in a store while my wife and daughters try on clothes. LOL.
    So attentively watching a 27 minute video is not to easy at the moment. Does the YouTube guy happen to mention CilaJet as one of the products that he is testing?

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #12 jm2, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
    He tested so many I didn't recall that particular brand. I'd have to watch it again.

Just checked, and he does NOT test that brand. But he does put 27 others to the test.

And when you have time, this guy is good in his testing process.

Parnelli likes this.
  13. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Thanks dude. Much appreciated

14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    For my $.02, for a DD I would go with the latest clear plastic wraps and rather than the ceramic coatings. I have it on a the front half of couple of my DD and it seems to be a good value. I would be more interested in using ceramic coatings on my weekend cars I try to keep especially clean and looking their best. Just one thought.

Level7 and Parnelli like this.
  15. JHNurse

JHNurse Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2021
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Andy King
    I really like having paint color correction done and ceramic coating immediately over that. It provides a great protective seal to the paint that makes it much easier to clean. Even a quick rinse and dry makes the exterior shine again. Living in the mountains with rain/snow, dust, pollen, and dirt from the roads makes ceramic coating a no-brainier around here.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Parnelli and jm2 like this.
  16. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    So if I am reading all of these comments correctly, this professional ceramic coating is a good thing to do to this daily driver new car.
    Yeah it can be expensive, but overall a wise decision to assist in easier removal of dirt, bugs, sap, salt, the environment etc., when cleaning it

17. lind12950

lind12950 Rookie

Jan 28, 2011
    I just had the ceramiseal coating put on my 430 scud and couldn’t be happier , coating is amazing and makes me much more comfortable driving it

18. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    As I see it you are getting another thin layer of clear coat paint (when professionally done). Is it useful? Sure. But you are then stuck with it. How long will it last? What happens when you scratch it? I think you are better served with a good wax application.

The best choice may be to get a clear bra application, if you like, to the whole car. It can be removed and/or replaced at any time. It is somewhat rubber like. Things kind of bounce off of it - as small rocks. A quick detail wax wipe down is all you need to shine it up. I often "dry wash" the car. Because the clear bra is rubber like it resists scratching from the dirt. The coating is much less affected by moving sand when wiping things down (or driving in the rain). The dirt would scratch a hard coating no matter what you do.

Ali

19. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Boomhauer, VAF84 and jm2 like this.
  20. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I needed it done living in South Florida, take the wife out for diner (it’s dark ) home 1 1/2 hrs later and you
    discover bird droppings your in trouble, Ceramic helps protect from damage on the clear coat.

Ivan Drago likes this.
  21. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I had my 360 done here locally. I asked him about whether he would recommend it on my daily driver Land Cruiser. He said "do you take it through the car wash?" I said "yep." And he said "nope."

Apparently the car wash removes the ceramic coat fairly quickly.

jm2 likes this.
  22. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    my high-end PPF installer/ceramic installer said the exact same thing. If the client is the type to run it through car washes, he says not to bother as it won't last. I hand-wash my car as I enjoy doing it on a weekend morning, and the front PPF'd plus ceramic will make that job much easier. Was told the ceramic will last a couple years in that case.

jm2 likes this.
  23. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    I’m a little late to the party, but yes ceramic coating is worth it. It is such a tiny cost compared to the car. You don’t have to worry about bird poop etching the car if you don’t catch it right away. Also, it looks very nice. I suggest getting a Gyeon coat over the PPF. I don’t believe you can ceramic prior to doing a PPF as it won’t stick (so I’ve been told).

Just got my ‘21 M4 Competition coated last week. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Edit: forgot to mention how nice it is on the wheels. So much less brake dust.

blvckintl likes this.
  24. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    I was told from a high end PPF installer/ceramic installer that if you take it through a touch free car wash and get the most basic wash you will be safe. Reason being, the basic wash doesn’t use the same harsh chemicals the higher end ones use to make the car clean. With ceramic coating, the car still comes out clean. I’ve been using Gyeon ceramic (10 year warranty) and absolutely love it. Just my $0.02.

25. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I'm on the opposite end of this, I've had ceramic coating on 2 cars and would not do it again, don't think it's worth the cost. It does do all of the things people claim, but in my experience not any more than simply applying coats of polish/wax/ceramic wax. This was not the case a few years ago, but with the new products they're coming out with that have ceramic in them that you can do yourself with regular off the shelf products for $50. For example I used the turtle wax graphene ceramic wax on my 550 and think it works just as well.

The other issue I had with ceramic coating is if any blemishes happen on your paint and it needs to be buffed out, you have to remove and reapply the ceramic coating on that panel all over again.