Replacement keys for a 83 Mondial | FerrariChat

Replacement keys for a 83 Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 83Mondialqv, May 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    Does anyone know of a good site to get keys for an 83 Mondial I need the ignition and door key. I just bought the car and the owner only had one set. I don’t need the original looking key a regular key that works is fine.

2. snoutmeat

snoutmeat Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Assuming an 83 Mondial is the same as an 84 Mondial, the ignition key blank is an Ilco FT46 X152 (I think either of those numbers -- FT46 or X152 -- is enough for a lock shop to match). The key blank is also used for 86-87 Yugo, 1981-89 Alfa GTV6, 1981-83 Fiat Strada, etc.

As for the door locks, I'm not sure yet....from looking at the car, it appears that the exterior door handles are shared with the similar era Alfa Romeo Spider, but I have not yet confirmed that they share the same keyway/key blank. Ask me in a week or two, once I get to making duplicates for those. :)

3. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
  4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    buy some Ft46-x152 blanks off ebay and have a local locksmith copy them.

5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #6 bisel, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Check your existing key. Are the cuts on one side only or on both sides? The FT46 / X152 keys ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

... are double sided and I expect you will discover they will not work. Ferrari did not generally start the use double-sided keys until 1989. The most likely correct key for the ignition on the ‘83 Mondial is the Silca NE9A ... (back in the day also had the mark “Neiman” on the key head).

The most important thing is to first determine if your current key is single sided or double sided.

And you can get this key ... (single sided) here ...

... which uses the Silca NE9A here ... http://klassikcarkeys.com/single_sided_key.html

also have double sided keys as well for Ferrari model years 89-2005

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

I have spares made from Ft46-X152 for my 85 & 88 mondials, my 94 348 spyder and had them for my 90 348...they all work

7. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    As I stated. The most important thing to determine is if you have a single or double sided key. Ferrari transitioned to double sided keys around that time frame and one needs to take care.

8. snoutmeat

snoutmeat Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #9 snoutmeat, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Well, in my case, I don't have an original key (car came from an estate; key was missing).

If I look inside the lock, the pins are all on one side, so it's a one-sided lock; however, the key blank is a 2-sided key blank, and it fits in the keyway perfectly. It's cut the same on both sides, so I can put the key in either way. This is the same way most of my other contemporary cars' (Subaru, Fiat, Ford, etc) keys work -- 2-sided keys with one-sided locks so you don't have to worry which way the key goes in.

So I guess that, in the case of my Mondial at least, Ferrari transitioned to the 2-sided keys (much) earlier than '89.