Another first for the 308? | FerrariChat

Another first for the 308?

Discussion in '308/328' started by kcabpilot, May 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
  2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I've never noticed that on my 328. Maybe they fixed that panel-alignment problem by then. :)

Or maybe I just never looked closely enough...

3. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I think you could peek at the engine too on the 246 when the engine lid is open as well.

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    OH, I thought you were saying you could see the engine from the passenger seat while driving down the road. Sorry for being dense! Yes, the same on the 328 - if you open the hood you can see a bit of the engine from the passenger compartment. I had never looked!

Kidasters likes this.
  5. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ha - me neither. Don't plan on being a passenger!!!

Well - not totally true - I looked back there while tuning carbs to see which one was popping a few times.

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I think that picture is with the lid closed. I can certainly see those bits on my car through the back window with the lid closed.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I think it is for use similar to a barbecue grille where there is a gap under the lid so you see when the steaks catch fire.

Du_Man and lm2504me like this.
  8. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    That is why I have a 5 lb Halon extinguisher in my 308. To put out the steaks.

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jbrauer likes this.
  10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, it's with the bonnet closed and you can see in there from the driver's seat too. I meant to say "passenger compartment"

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I finally had to go out and take a look...I'll be danged! You CAN see the engine; darned poor body work! ;)

12. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    In your first pic, between the bottom of the red bodywork and the top of that seal around the bottom of the glass, I'll bet you can peek into the engine compartment. On your car, the 'view' is probably obstructed by the air cleaner. On the injected cars, there is no air cleaner in that position and, therefore a 'better' view. ;) Look again, maybe with a flashlight. I suspect the bodywork is identical on all 3x8's.

Maranello, 1975:
    Assembly supervisor: "Sir, we have a large gap here between the deck lid and the body. We need to have Pininfarina re tool the bodywork!"

Enzo Ferrari: "You're right, we should but we won't. I want these cars out the door ASAP. I'll have the marketing department point out that it's a feature we developed for enhanced engine cooling!"

14. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    poor body work? no, no, no. It's added heat disappation designed with forthought :)

15. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    There is a 1” metal strip which runs >3/4 across the center lower front of the engine hood which completely blocks any view.

Kidasters likes this.
  16. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Can I have a picture of that? I knew there were some various shields for rainwater over ignition stuff, but I didn't know about this one.

Probably a black air cleaner doesn't look like much in a black cave. Silver intake plenum and gold injector lines are more visible.

To be clear, this is the gap in question, with the lid closed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I don't see that view-blocking metal strip on my '89 328. If earlier 3x8s had one, maybe they eliminated it at some point. ?

Enzo:
    What's the deal with that metal strip on the deck lid?

Assembly Manager: "We put it in to cover that gap so people couldn't see into the engine bay from the cabin; we thought that gap looked shoddy."

Enzo: " Delete the strip. It will save us a few lira per car!"

Assembly Manager: "We already deleted the power steering that Niki Lauda requested and installed the cheapest air conditioner system we could find, do you really want to do that?"

Enzo: "You know I don't care about these dang road cars! Every lira saved on them goes to our F1 program! Get rid of that strip!"

18. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Your arrows are pointing at the strip.
    When I get home from work, I’ll take some photos and post them.

19. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  20. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well hey, my intention was to ask: Was this intentional and if so was this the first street Ferrari to have intentionally done this? How about Lamborghinis? I'm pretty sure you could see the engine from the passenger compartment in the Miura.

21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Well, I'm sure it was "intentional." The question I would ask is whether it was intentional because the gap allowed a less time consuming/expensive production OR was it intentional to have some actual function - additional engine bay cooling? That doesn't seem likely to me since most of the deck is louvered but I have no idea re the aerodynamics involved.

Personally, I think it was a function of an easier way to manufacture the car with less attention needed to fitting the deck lid/the engine bay opening - especially since these cars were largely hand-assembled/fitted. You can't see the gap in any 'normal' view of the car.