Brake/Gas pedal position | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Brake/Gas pedal position

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ho1105, Sep 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    I concur with the OP. The brake and gas pedals are very close together (much more than the 458). I think just changing the holes is a good, easily reversible solution.

2. Ho1105

Ho1105 Rookie

Nov 4, 2015
    Los Angeles
    My dealer said they will adjust the brake pedal position next week for me. When I go to the dealership, I'll ask the tech about this spacing and report back. By the way, I never had problem with my California so this is a surprise for me.

3. frvett

frvett Rookie

Feb 2, 2008
    Just use your left foot why change anything that is what real racers do.
    Peter

4. Anthony DAcquisto

Sep 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Anthony DAcquisto
    I have a 2018 488 and if I wear pumas or a wider shoe, my foot gets stuck. I don’t have wide feet. I will see if the dealer can adjust.

5. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I had a 458 before, don’t recall any issues but I immediately noticed the same difficulty on the 488 and I have to be very careful which shoes I wear when I drive, not a problem for a Sunday drive but if I am driving to work, can be a bit of an issue. Is it just the pedal cover the dealer is going to move or it it a more substantial (read difficult) fix?

FYI, I compared my pedal spacing to a friends 488 and it seemed to be the same so I doubt your car is flawed but I do think it is different than on the 458.

6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

7. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Good point. In some of my NB (997, 1500), I have a same problem. (Shoes size - 11.5, car - 488)

8. Jafooli

Jafooli Rookie

Jan 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My 2013 458 has the same holes and distance as OP's 488. I kept hitting gas while braking (in my tennis shoes) so have moved one hole left.

I searched for this thread to see if anyone else had the same issue.

9. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I’ve tried to break those screws apart to move the brake pedal I’ve but they are stuck on. I didn’t want to touch them with the carpet there and then possibly turn the silver pedal a different color. No idea how to loosen those 2 screws on the brake pedal pd.

10. Jafooli

Jafooli Rookie

Jan 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just need a bit of leverage to get some extra torque. They're not welded or glued in.

11. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting thread... I have ginormous feet ( 13EE normally, 13EEE in some brands) and when I got my 458 Italia, I quickly found out that most of my shoes were simply too wide to wear...

I drive with black Pumas that are nearly thin as racing shoes. Works a treat, but all of my other tennis shoes/trainers, as well as most of my dress shoes will hit the brake pedal if I’m on the accelerator and vice versa.

Humm, I’m going to ask when I take her in for her next (7th) and last “free to me” annual maintenance appointment about moving the pedal over... Even if there is another slot available to move the break pedal over, many of my shoes will still be too wide.

My main problem with shoes is getting the width right... Lots of size 13 shoes will not fit me. An “EE/EEE width is not available in many brands. Does anyone make true custom size racing shoes?

Cheers!

12. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have Puma race shoes that are 14EEE

13. Jafooli

Jafooli Rookie

Jan 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm size US12. The extra hole (half inch) made a big difference. Now it has the distance that the guy with the speciale posted

14. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the heads up... I looked on the Puma website and I cannot find a width spec for the racing shoes. I will give them a call and get it sorted. It will be nice to have a proper pair of racing shoes!

Cheers!

bball16 likes this.
  15. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks! Definitely going to get this done...

Cheers!

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I had to do this with my 488 as well.

Ray

17. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My wife found them for me last year online.

18. rickm360

rickm360 Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    Calgary, Alberta and Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick Matthews
    I have just yesterday acquired a new-to-me 2017 488 Spider and immediately noted this problem, and the screw locations on my brake pedal are identical with those in the pictures published to date, so my guess is that all 488's come that way from the Factory. Fortunately the fix appears to be quite intuitive.

19. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Update, I was finally able to sort a pair of Puma shoes that are thin enough and wide enough! After getting the first pair, I bought two more to have on hand for spares.

With these new shoes I did not need to move the petal over, so this big footed bloke is as happy as a scone with a smear of clotted cream…

Cheers!