Fernando Alonso / Renault part deux | FerrariChat

Fernando Alonso / Renault part deux

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, May 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    And just like that... no one cares about Fred anymore. Fred is upset Sainz is getting all the attention.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernando-alonso-questions-media-respect/

Two-time World Champion Fernando Alonso felt a little disrespected by the positive reaction to Carlos Sainz’s P2 in Monaco.

Of all the drivers who switched teams in the off-season, Sainz has certainly been the one to settle into his new home the quickest.

Already the Spaniard is pushing Charles Leclerc hard, and it took only five races for his first podium in Ferrari red to arrive after crossing the line P2 at the Monaco Grand Prix.

But it is exactly this respect and positivity which has irked Alonso somewhat.

With 32 wins to his name Alonso is no stranger to taking the chequered flag, but there has also been plenty of P2s across his 97 visits to the podium.

But whenever he was finishing second, Alonso said it was like a “funeral” in the press conferences, centred around when he would win rather than showing respect to that achievement.

“I remember five or six years ago when I was doing nine or 10 podiums a season, [If I was] second, it was a funeral in the press conference because [I was being asked] ‘when will you win?” he is quoted by GPFans.

“Now, I think when I see that I have 97 podiums, I think especially the last five or six years of those podiums were not taken into respect probably. We see that now.”

But Alonso made it clear that he was very happy for his compatriot Sainz, and hopes to see him on the top step of the podium too.

That being said, he accepts such a result is unlikely to happen under normal circumstances, due to the strength of Mercedes and Red Bull around more conventional circuits.

“I am very, very happy for Carlos,” said Alonso.

“I spoke with him on the grid at the national anthem. He was already on the podium at that time because he was starting third after the Leclerc problems and with the [Valtteri] Bottas issue, it was even better.

“Hopefully we can see a race win soon but we know that in a normal circuit, maybe Mercedes and Red Bull they are still in front. So it was an opportunity and it was taken so it was good.”

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

FA worked for a different Ferrari than now. 2nd was nice yesterday and should be celebrated for Carlos.

FA took a weak car to wins and podiums and for some he is a problem. FA is a superb F1 driver, who gave 5 years to Ferrari. That is a worthy effort!

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Everything is relative in this life: in his first stint at McLaren, a 2nd place at Monaco would have been a failure; in his second stint at McLaren it would have been a miracle.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    lol, fake news.

simpen and Giallo 550 like this.
  5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You don't believe the actual quote?

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sure, I believe this quote
    Your lead in, which I quoted, is what I found funny and fake news.

simpen likes this.
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly. After the 2020 Ferrari had, a podium really is to be celebrated. Not just for Ferrari actually, but for F1 it was generally a ''feel good'' podium. Max, Sainz, Norris. 3 guys that get on well with each other sharing a podium together at one of worlds' most prestigious races, defeating the almighty Mercedes. Even if it's a one-off for now...be happy.

8. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Add to that it is a sign of "generational" switch: as Carlos at 26 is the "old man" of the podium (vs Max at 23 and Lando at 21)

jpalmito, 375+ and Bas like this.
  9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Hey Mayor, as we all know and remember it’s all about Fred all the time because he’s the glue holding the racing universe together. Love how he turns Sainz achievement into some monologue about himself. :rolleyes: In any event we can enjoy watching him fight hard in the midfield.

10. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
  11. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #12 TheMayor, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    william likes this.
  13. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

As always there are 2 sides to every incident.
    Hamilton is far from squeaky clean, and Alonso didn't have his father lobbying the Stewards either;

As soon as the cars had left the pits, the team radioed Hamilton to let Alonso past so they could run to the plan. But he ignored repeated requests. Dennis even came on the radio to him, but still Hamilton did not comply.

Alonso was now at a disadvantage - he would not only have more fuel in his car when he did his qualifying runs, but he would get less back for the start of the race. He was shouting on the radio, asking why Hamilton was not letting him by.

"The problems had started before," a source says. "This was just the final volcanic eruption. But Lewis started it. Let's not forget that. If he had let Fernando past, there would not have been an explosion."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46226823

375+ likes this.
  14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    It's a real pity. What Fred could have achieved if he had the right attitude....whatever Hamilton is, would have been Fred. But alas...Now no one cares.

Personally for me, he's the best since schumacher.

375+ likes this.
  15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    "As you do your bed, you lie on it"

Remy Zero likes this.