Longest road trip in your Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Longest road trip in your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robstand, May 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Just completed the Nevada Open Road Challenge in Ely, Nevada. Drove there from Big Bear, CA. Finished 3rd in 95 mph class. Drove back through Shoshone, CA. Overall about 1,500 miles. Completed a 500 mile test drive to Death Valley before that. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I drove my 246 Dino GT back and forth from Phoenix to LA several times, even during the summer. No A/C in the Dino of course. Just move the fly windows all the way forward! Nature's air con.

I also drove it from LA to Monterey 2 times at least for the Monterey Historics. One trip it burned out the alternator in the San Fernando valley stuck in traffic (in August) on the way up. I stopped once along the way for an hour or so at gas stations each way to recharge the battery. Luckily if the electric fans don't run all the time and its during the day the Dino uses very little power aside from starting. Old school electrics. It made it! Try doing that with a modern car. That Dino never broke down where it needed to be towed.

My F430 and 458 I drove round trip between LA and Vegas a couple of times. I can't remember how many.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    For years, three times a year London - Provence (near Avignon) in the Mondial, then the Testarossa, finally the TR512. 700 miles, always in one day, and usually on my own. A stay of two weeks, then drive back. My Zen moments.

4. Seanm

Seanm Rookie

May 9, 2013
    I’ve driven my 575 a couple of times from London to Cannes about 2k round trip. Normally leaving her there at the apartment over the summer and flying back for weekend breaks(before kids and dogs).
    Best outbound was via the route Napoleon dropping into Cannes via the Alps.
    Best inbound via Le Mans, leaving Cannes driving solo at 6pm and arriving for the race weekend at 3am. Highlights, Crossing the Millau viaduct at sunset, nearly running out of fuel, deciding to chance leaving the motorway and found not only a petrol station but a classic car rally night stage in the national park.
    Average moving speed outside of traffic jams down to Marseille was crazy fast.

becker, Atlantic, JimEakin and 3 others like this.
  5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #30 absent, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    In 1986 had to bring a Countach from Upper Saddle River to Northbrook Illinois (Chicago suburb)
    car I brokered for a client.
    Left NJ at 7PM on Dec 27 and arrived at the destination at 7AM with pit stops for fuel and bladder maintenance, total distance about 820 miles.
    It would be much quicker if it weren't for almost every counties deputy pulling me over to check it out.
    When I gave the guy keys to his Lambo I swore to myself to never again get behind the wheel of any Countach again.
    I needed a long physical therapy and massages to straighten my neck again(I'm 6'4")

Back in 2000, a 355 Spider non stop from St Tropez to Milan (about 260 miles).
    Same trip a year later in a 550.
    My wife was my hero for going on both trips with just carry on luggage and anyone here who is married and travels with wife for anything more then a week, knows what I mean.

6. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
  7. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    It's not as far as some other drives but it sure was fun to drive from Michigan to Kentucky for a long weekend and drive all over central KY finding Whisky, Great food, Rolling hills and Winding roads and Horse races. I was driving my black F430 spider and my buddy was driving his Aston Vanquish. We did just shy of 1,100 miles total over the 4 days between the round trip drives and then all around KY.
    Frank
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Dan switzerland

May 21, 2021
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Daniel Juillerat
    A tri with my 512 TR from Seitzerland up to the scottish highlands and back. Roads up there sre wonderful
    Another one was a trip to Amsalfi with 456mgt

Jonny English likes this.
  9. wise3

wise3 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Ward Orndoff
    #34 wise3, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    9400 miles, including 6 track days, back in 1989 with my previous 1977 308 GTB. But to be fair, it was broken up into chunks, the two largest being about 2500 miles each. South FL (USA) to Tarzana, CA for an Edgar Rice Burroughs fan gathering. I left it with Burroughs' grandson for 2 weeks while I flew back home to work. Flew back to CA, picked it up and spent 2 days playing on the old Riverside Raceway, an FOC event, just before it shut down. Left the car with a guy I met at the meet while I flew back to work (he changed the oil for me). Flew back out and ran the FOC Monterey (Laguna Seca) track event. Drove to Binghamton, NY and left it with a guy I met at the Burroughs event for a week while I flew back to work. Flew back and spent 3 days on Watkins Glen (FCA event). I changed the brake pads there. Then drove back to south FL. Problems: The A/C quit cooling around Oklahoma City on the way east. Oh, and I ran out of gas in west TX on the way west, trying in vain to find high octane gas. I had barely rolled to a halt, after taking an exit ramp, when a guy in an old Lincoln stopped and gave me a ride a couple of miles to a gas station. A great summer.

10. Eric Cruz

Eric Cruz Rookie

Aug 21, 2009
    Barhamsville, VA
    Full Name:
    Eric Cruz
    My wife and I drove our 1999 550 Maranello on our own personal "Lap of America" in 2104. Hitting close to the four corners and using Interstate highways as little as possible were our goals. Virginia to Key Largo, San Diego, Washington State, Indy for our friend James Davison's first Indy 500 start, then up to Brunswick Maine and back to Virginia. My wife kept the stats: 26 days, 36 States and 11,066 miles. Best vacation ever. Gave friends a several day window of when to expect us, never knew where we'd be the next night, changing course and stopping where we chose. Taking in the sights and experiences like drinking from a firehose. (Wife: "Hey! - If we turn left up here we can see Carlsbad Caverns." Park Ranger in elevator: "You folks sure didn't stay long.") It was like that everywhere. Stood on THE corner in Winslow, AZ while she was in the 550 slowin' down to take a look at me. Helo from Vegas to Grand Canyon, then to Hoover Dam and London Bridge in same day. Even the triple-digit speeding ticket in Texas was a good experience. Sheriff cut us some slack and only wrote me for 108mph so we could pay online. Good folks there. Car performed flawlessly under all conditions, but I'd worn the nearly new Michelins down to the cord in places in the rear by the time we got home.

My wife decided we needed to hit all the Lower 48 in the 550, so in 2017 we took it across the middle to Four Corners (CO/UT/AZ/NM) to hit all the States across the middle we missed in 2014 (seven new ones). It included another Indy 500 and some family stops along the way, so it was just over another 6000 miles round trip. A couple of CELs I had to clear with my scanner on the way home (ended up changing an O2 sensor when we got back), but otherwise uneventful mechanically.

So we depart on our "Final Five" on 01 June. Plan to go to ND, MN, WI and MI, then slip quietly and briefly into NJ on the way home. Our RVers map that rides on the package shelf will have all the States in the Lower 48 filled in then! I just did another major service on the motor, so we are confident we will have no [major!] issues.

The 2014 F12 is next. Perhaps we will try to hit all 48 on one trip, like the Iron Butt Challenge bikers we met in 2014 do - except we won't try it all in 10 days! Will just need to plan a stop for tires and oil change somewhere along the way...

Best regards,
    Eric

pdxjim488, audi_328, iMrMark and 10 others like this.
  11. Darryl Brooksbank

Sep 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Darryl Brooksbank
    I flew from our home in central France to Brummen, Netherlands, with a friend to collect my 456GT 18 months ago - we drove the whole way home the next day, 2 fuel stops and arrived at 23:00 after precisely 1002 km. Average consumption on super-unleaded? 14 Ltr/100, or just on 20mpg UK (- can’t tell you in US with their little gallons!). And the 456? . . . totally fantastic and not a single ache or pain at the end for either of us. But so hard to keep to the autoroute speed limits in this camera-infested land; just enjoyed the music of the glorious V12 burbling away up front the whole way . . .

Attached Files:

Nembo1777, 350MH83, TheMayor and 5 others like this.
  12. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    Man, I love this thread! My wife and I have driven our 1980 400i from central Michigan to Montreal, upper New England and on to Boston , NYC, Washington DC and then across mid-America back to Michigan. With a car seat and and a toddler. We also made several trips from Michigan to Atlanta and Charleston, SC.

We have driven the 2015 Cali T from Michigan to West Palm Beach, FL and back a couple of times. Both vehicles ran flawlessly, were comfortable and the Cali accommodated 2 sets of golf clubs for playing along the way. We have a golf trip planned in the Cali T this July playing Arcadia Bluffs in northern Michigan, then taking the fast ferry across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee and then playing Kohler's courses at the American Club and then on to Sand Valley, WI to play their 2 highly rated courses. Wisconsin should have some great driving rods north of Road America. If anybody has some good recommendations feel free to PM me. Thanks!

wise3 likes this.
  13. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I drove my 348 spider over 3,000 miles in a round trip visit to my parents from Torrance California to Springtown Texas and Waco Texas and back.

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    When My folks were alive and living in PA, I would drive Atlanta Ga. to New Castle PA twice a year. 821 miles one way. so 1642 miles RT. did that in both the 308 and 328, usually once in April and other in October, avoiding the need for AC most of the way. Once on the way down from PA, I ran over the carcase of a buck that had obviously been hit by a semi.... duffus in the next lane was trying to "race me" and made it so I could not move over to avoid the larger lump! cracked the front euro spoiler, bent radiator mount... but I made it to Atlanta, using duct tape to keep the spoiler from falling apart... FOA techs made fun of me, saying oh, you just were drinking or something.. .and hit a curb... until they put the car up in the air... charcoal deer skin fell out.

In the 599 been to the beach and back couple times. When living in Europe, did Montreux to Monaco twice in a Ferrari... one leg on the route Napoleon. super fun.

JimEakin, Texas Forever and wise3 like this.
  15. sfbayarea_driver

Oct 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    F.S.Nooruddin
    I have done multiple 1,000+ mile road trips in my 2007 Ferrari F430. From the Bay Area to Mount Shasta, Lassen Volcano National Park, up highway 1 to Oregon etc. Loved every minute of it! The F430 is an extremely comfortable car to spend long hours in. I just with that it had cruise control and a cup holder!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
  17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Eric, we just want to know about past trips, not the ones you take in the future. :D

NGooding likes this.
  18. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    In the 430, so far the longest run has been from Porto, Portugal to the Algarve and return, about 1200 km. In the fall we plan to do a grand tour of Portugal, Spain, France and Italy down to Sicily and back to Porto.

TheMayor and wise3 like this.
  19. 166MM alum

166MM alum Rookie

Jul 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Darrell Westfaul
    In 1966/67, I used to drive my 166 MM (0046M) back and forth from home in Mobile, AL, to college in Tuscaloosa, AL, a distance of 200 miles each way. I made that trip quite a few times.

SCantera, JimEakin, Way2fast and 3 others like this.
  20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  21. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    +/- 1500 miles

Homosassa, FL to N. Ga, TN, NC mountains, then home. 3 or 4 days, forget which.

flat_plane_eddie, TheMayor and wise3 like this.
  22. MaranelloGV

MaranelloGV Karting

May 19, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Guy V
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    wow, that's a great experience. a bunch of good miles, meeting new people, and the track/event experiences.

wise3 likes this.
  24. A few years back I took my 456mGTA from Kaikoura, New Zealand to Karamea.

Not necessarily a huge distance but the roads were awesome. Interesting suggestion of nearly 6 hours. Managed to half that.

25. rolvail

rolvail Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Rol Hamelin
    Twice took my 550 on a three month tour of western US and same car on multiple round trips between Lago Di Garda and Stockholm