360 - Gearbox oil, what are you using? (Yes another of these threads) | FerrariChat

360 Gearbox oil, what are you using? (Yes another of these threads)

Discussion in '360/430' started by KILOCHARLIE, May 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    I’m going around in circles reading everyone’s current choice for this. I have a manual and are based in the UK so sky options are likely different to those in the UK but I’d be grateful if you could all tell me what brand you are currently using please.

I plan on changing gearbox oil every 2 years minimum as despite whatever brand I’ve used previously it seems to be in a state at around this point. I’ve tried redline which costs a small fortune over here and seems overkill for the little use I use my 360 for. I’ve also previously tried really cheap stuff my garage only had in stock (a fifth of the price of redline) and it seemed to perform the same and last just as long.

Is the consensus still gl4 vs gl5? And am I supposed to favour non slip or limited slip?

Thanks for any advice. I just want some half decent run of the mill stuff that I can buy in bulk and not have to research and compare prices for every 2 years.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Can you get eni rotra lsx or ravenol vsg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

3. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    not for anywhere less than silly prices (£30 per litre)

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Can you buy a pail of the ferrari OEM fluid ..shell spriax

5. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    I’m assuming it has to be fully synthetic no matter what but then is MT90 (gl4) or 75w90 (gl5) the better option?

6. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    I looked into that before but it was crazy priced as only import. Plus I was told that it was good for it new but oils have come on so much over 20 years that pretty much anything is better these days?

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    There is so many options and opinions

If you go by ferrari gl5 sync

If nothing else go with Mobil 1 or Valvoline ..even though some say that may affect synchros

8. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Redline 75-90 NS been my go to. i do it once a year for piece of mind.

9. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Redline MTL

10. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Redline 75-90, even experimenting with slip additive, was not kind to my gearbox. Shell currently being used. Some diff chatter when cold but otherwise good.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They call for GL5 oil. Most GL5's are formulated for positraction. Redline 75-90 NS is specifically made for those who do not want positraction additive.

12. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I started using Royal Purple Max 75 -90 Max gear with friction modifier for LS differentials. In my F430. Seems fine to me but I am probably in the minority. Was recommended by my independent mechanic shop. It seemed a little quieter and has no problem with shifting. I am using Scuding Swiss SEB ecu which may effect differential chatter in sport mode but I don’t have any issues.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

13. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Thanks all. After much research and thinking I’d rather use something basic yet acceptable with the thinking it’s better to change more frequently rather than use top rated stuff and change with longer intervals I went with this stuff which is around 1/3rd of the price of similar oil. A friend has used it in his 360 and reports no difference whatsoever from redline etc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373537080219