Alternator going bad?? | FerrariChat

Alternator going bad??

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ferralc, May 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Ok here’s the story, my alternator was changed by the dealer less than 1000 miles ago, it was a factory rebuilt, since I got it it didn’t start right away from cold start, I had to blip the throttle to get it running and turn off the ligjt, my dealer said that was actually normal (??) anyways I always blipped the throttle at cold start and never had an issue.
    Today (AFTER WASHING my car that may or may not be related because these cars tend to do weird things when they get washed) the light came on, I blipped the throttle and it didn’t go off right away, eventually did but while driving the light came on intermittently, specially while accelerating, I stopped and took this video

When I got home I tested the voltage with a radar detector plugged to the cigarette lighter and the voltage was 12.8-13.2V
    https://youtube.com/shorts/-7M1NW5oqoo?feature=share

So my first guess is, the alternator is starting to fail AGAIN, I have read that this Delco alternators are prone to fail as they are not intended to spin as fast and they fail due to shaft vibration damaging the rectifier and brushes fluttering. The rectifier will pop due to flutter with high RPMs.

BUT...
    after an hour or so I restarted the car and I got good voltage 13.9-14v
    (Picture attached)
    so in my mind the alternator is starting to fail even though it has not failed yet, But I can’t stop thinking about the wash, because it happened right after the wash.

What do you guys think?? Is it just a coincidence? Is my rationale about the alternator valid??
    Thanks

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I would say the internal voltage regulator makes problem when getting warm
    best would be test directly at the alternator

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari never offered factory rebuilt alternators. It is a Delco and possibly it is a Delco rebuilt exchange unit.

They were designed for police cars and ambulances and in my experience were very tough, robust units. Since 1985 I have had very few that required repair, including TRs with extensive track use that spent a great deal of time at high rpm. The pulley ratio was chosen with this in mind. The alternator repair industry is flooded with low priced, low quality knock off repair parts and in my experience most rebuilds that gave trouble was because of that.

I do agree with Turbo Joe that testing at the cigar lighter plug is a poor diagnostic technique. But despite that with the warning light issues something isn't correct.

4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks for both your responses, yes I know that testing at the cigarette lighter was not the most accurate or proper way but I don’t have a multimeter and just wanted to see if I was getting more than 12V, as the last time when my alternator died that same reading was below that.
    Do you guys think the wash had something to do with it? That maybe moisture would do some kind of weird connection and turn on the light?? Thanks

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #5 Rifledriver, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Was shop foreman at largest Ferrari service department at the time. Have worked on TRs since 85 and have owned one since 2000. It would be the first time I had heard of washing causing a problem. I have poured water all over them without issue.

My father was an electrical engineer and my brother is a broadcast engineer. I have a better background and understanding of automotive electrics than 90% of mechanics. The average understanding and diagnostic ability is pretty poor. I'd take it to an automotive electric specialty shop.

You might also try Bobliefs. Gary probably has a decent electrical guy.

ferralc likes this.
  6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Rule No. 1:
    Always keep a quality charger on the car. If your car has non OEM accessories, check for parasitic drag.
    Rule No.2:
    Batteries fail more frequently than alternators (check it before going to step 3)
    Rule No.3:
    Check the alternator... inexpensive to get a Delco based unit rebuilt.

The last CTEK green light is ‘float’ mode. The penultimate light is ‘trickle’. My 8 year old Abarth battery will not get to ‘float’ anymore... presumably that means only a year or two left in its life.... we’ll see. Regardless, 8 to 10 years is pretty good for a battery... thanks to the CTEK. Plus, the alternator has a much easier lifetime job always working with with a fully charged battery. Highly recommended.

PS: Super inexpensive. Well worth getting to just mess around and learn a bit.

V4NG0 and ferralc like this.
  7. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks yes my car has a kill switch inside the cockpit so I always disconnect the battery after using it, I also have a CTEK charger and just like yours it takes a while to get to the last green, I don’t connect the CTEK to the battery because I use the kill switch, do you think is a good idea to connect it to a trickle charger even though it is disconnected??
    A battery issue could triggered the battery warning light? I thought that was solely an alternator problem as the alternator is running and the battery is not longer a factor while running. But maybe both are

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    You have a battery switch in the cockpit in addition to the battery switch in the trunk?

Since 2000 I have never kept a charger on it. Nothing wrong with doing it but I do not consider it necessary and our is used pretty infrequently. The electrical system is pretty simple and has very little parasitic draw. It is one of the last good alternators Ferrari used. All the modern small high output alternators in use since not long after are hand grenades.

ferralc likes this.
  9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  10. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Yes a former owner installed a kill switch under the dashboard, pretty handy, my mechanic found it and told me it was a kill switch, the one inside the trunk is disabled though.
    I have never had an issue with the battery by killing the switch, but once I didn’t kill it and the battery went flat after 2 weeks or so (it has an after market alarm that I never use but maybe it is still draining some energy)
    Today the light stay on while driving I took these two videos, one driving and one idling at a stop, weird thing is that the light is more illuminated with higher rpms and dimmer while idling (and at some point while driving it was flickering). My rationale would be the opposite, because higher rpms would reflect on a higher output from the alternator. After a while the light went off (Italian mistress is getting temperamental)
    Driving

idling
    https://youtube.com/shorts/vMECb6-VQVM?feature=share

I found this thread and it seems this fellow member had the same issue but the videos are not longer there to compare.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/512tr-battery-warning-light-question.464044/

I will take it to my mechanic tomorrow before going through the odyssey of a warranty claim at the dealer (it’s been 2 years but less than 1000 miles so I am not sure if they will cover it)

thank you very much to all of you for your insight.

11. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    ferralc likes this.