Does this come apart? | FerrariChat

Does this come apart?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ak Jim, May 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Working on the power steering. Looking at another thread there is mention of a filter for this reservoir. I’m not sure if it is missing or if it goes under the steel plate. How do I remove the spring and the plate below it? Thx.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Good subject. I would also like to know.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Under the spring, there is a round plate with holes that retains the filter. This BMW 633CSi filter (ref 32411104357) is probably not produced any-more by MANN as it is not referenced in their latest catalogue. This being said, I could source it there:

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/32411104357-MFG63.aspx

(at $6 grab it while you can)

NB : my spring was not retained by a clip, which makes the removal much easier. I presume a previous mechanic had already replaced the filter and dropped the retaining clip?

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    @Rifledriver has been faster than me on the keyboard, which makes my double post kind of embarrassing...

As I've said I could not find this filter in the latest MANN catalogues, so you'd better buy it while stocks do last. Anyone bought a non-MANN alternative?

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those fit millions of German cars. I'm sure all the big European companies made them. There is also a paper filer cartridge that supersedes it.

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    So the round washer holding the spring just pulls up. Thx!

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Also would Mobil synthetic ATF be a good replacement fluid? I’ve used it all my other cars with good results.

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Old ATF was compatible with the steering pump, the new blends of ATF not so much. Apart from the additives, the cold viscosity of these newer blends is much thinner (fluid does not get as hot as in the transmission, so the cold viscosity does matter in the steering pump).

You'd better use synthetic fluid specifically formulated for the steering pump. I am using Motul Multi HF, but most renown manufacturers (including Redline) do provide such fluid. Same price as regular ATF, so no point in not using the proper product (that's one more type of fluid to stock though).

Would be interested in the reference for the newer types of filters.

Ak Jim likes this.
  10. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi. That spring clip is easy to remove if you have 4 sewing needles and a pair of mole grips. Grab a needle in the grips and force it into the open wedge shaped space between the clip and the shaft. When you have done all 4, the clip no longer touches the shaft and you can tap it off from underneath much easier.

cheers.
    Mark.

Ak Jim likes this.