Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 2021 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 2021

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, Dec 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Agree with your post, especially of what you mentioned regarding camaraderie.
    Also noticed you are local to me, did you do an FCA drive past weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Car week offers many things to many people, which is one of the beautiful things about it. For instance, I have zero interest in hot rods or American muscle, but many love them, so I’m happy those options are plentiful, even though I won’t be part of them. As for those that show cars, that doesn’t mean those people don’t drive them. I have a strong passion for concours competition, yet I drive my cars. I take a lot of pride in maintaining them at the highest standard. Those that go to the incredible time and expense to achieve beautiful restorations and show their cars should be commended for preserving the beauty and longevity of these great automobiles. Lastly, regarding the crowds that converge on Monterey for car week, I love it, and I’ll miss it this year (assuming they are less than normal). The more the merrier, which I recognize isn’t a commonly held feeling. I just love the energy.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #78 TTR, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Thanks for asking, but no, I didn’t.
    I guess in line with my views on over-crowded Monterey and other large gatherings, I don’t usually participate in large group driving events either.
    I just feel that anything more than 3 or 4 cars is too many to accommodate a leisurely pleasant drive and often the most enjoyable (best ?) ones are those I do just by myself.
    Yesterday I did do 180+ mile drive with couple of friends. We drove from Riverside to LaCanada-Flintridge on freeways around 6 am, then eastbound Angeles Crest Hwy back. 2 vintage cars, great time.

plastique999 likes this.
  4. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #79 HMB-Dino, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    I believe the biggest issue people have with Car Week is how bad the traffic has gotten and how long it can take to get from one event to another.

I think this year will either be `light' or totally mobbed by all the enthusiasts that can't wait for a return after 2 years. Not in the hospitality industry, but I bet they have a good sense of how crowded it might be.

I know the manager of the Carmel Mission Inn (located sort of across from the Rio Grill). He says they're completely booked for Car Week!

5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    May I ask which vintage cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Correct, especially if one is trying to attend/enjoy two or more events in single day. Thursday and on traffic in the area is pretty much a cluster ****.

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    My ‘32 Plymouth Roadster and a friends ‘?? Alfa-Romeo Spider.
    Latter developed some driveline vibration, possibly a trans mount failure, but made it home OK.

plastique999 likes this.
  8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Update: Tomorrow (Tues) Carmel city council takes up permits for Concours on the Avenue (Tues 8/10) & Prancing Ponies (Wed 8/11). Since the Pebble Beach Tour de Elegance will not be making their usual lunch stop in Carmel, word is that there will be display of "rare and expensive Ferraris hosted by FCA".

9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Did Monterey for over 20 years and always had a great time, I’ve been to most of the major events all over the world and have been known to have organized a few. Then I went to the Goodwood Revival, flat out the Best event in the world, it’s not even close. There are so many moving pieces to this event it’s overwhelming.

Living on the East Coast there’s not much difference between traveling to the UK or West Coast, the hotels are a bit less expensive and the food is just as bad California cuisine. Fish & Chips vs Tofu Burger.

10. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Here's the Carmel City Council agenda regarding Car Week events. Of special note is the added details on the FCA event to be held in place of when the Tour usually stops in Carmel...

Concours on the Avenue
    The 14th Annual Concours on the Avenue event is scheduled to take place Tuesday, August 10, 2021 throughout the entirety of downtown Carmel-by-the-Sea. The event features classic German, French, and British cars and American muscle cars cars that are displayed along Ocean Avenue and certain side streets.

The Concours on the Avenue event organizer is requesting the following street closures for the event:
    • West and east bound Ocean Avenue between Junipero and Monte Verde Streets
    • Mission, Dolores, San Carlos, and Lincoln Streets between Ocean and Sixth Avenues
    • Dolores and Lincoln Streets between Ocean and Seventh Avenues
    • A portion of San Carlos and Mission Streets from Ocean Avenue to the entrance of Red Eagle Alley based on the number of entries accepted (access will remain open to the Wells Fargo parking lot and the Carmel Plaza parking garage)
    The event organizer is also requesting permission to place one 20 x 40 tent and a 10 x 10 storage tent in Devendorf Park.

Prancing Ponies
    The Prancing Ponies Car Show event was held in Carmel on the Wednesday of Car Week for the past three years. This event required the closure of Sixth Avenue between San Carlos and Lincoln Streets and Dolores Street from Ocean Avenue to the driveway of the Post Office. Previously, Council had provided direction regarding the number of events during Car Week and 2020 was scheduled to be the last year for Prancing Ponies would occur in Carmel-by-the-Sea. However, all events were cancelled in 2020 and since Prancing Ponies missed its last year in Carmel-by-the-Sea staff is recommending that Council consider approving this street closure, and that 2021 be the last year for this event in the City. Event set-up will be from 1:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. The event is proposed to occur from 11:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 11, 2021, with breakdown from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Ferrari of North America
    The Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance will not pass through Carmel this year on the Thursday of Car Week due to budget issues and logistical challenges with holding a large-scale gathering during a pandemic.

Ferrari of North America is proposing a one (1) block event on Dolores Street between Ocean and Seventh Avenues, featuring a display of Ferrari's Monza's, worth 1.8 to 2 million dollars per car. It will be the first time these cars are displayed in one location at the same time. Cars would be visible for public viewing and a private luncheon for the car owners would be held at a local restaurant. Event set-up will be from 5:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.. The proposed event will be from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 12 with breakdown from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Great info. Thank you.

12. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    City Council Decisions;

State requirements for `mega events', which Concours on the Ave falls under.
    Proof of vaccination or a negative test within 72 hours will be required for entry with no mask requirement. Otherwise a mask will be required. If someone still declines to wear a mask, they'll be asked to leave the event. Masks will be available to those that need them.​

- Concours on the Ave: reduced # cars to 150 from normal ~200
    - Prancing Ponies: allowed to occur since 2020 couldn't happen, which was supposed to be the last year for it. Number reduced down to 40 cars
    - Ferrari of North America: replacing Tour de Elegance stop, using a single block, reduced from original plan to about 30 cars

There was a suggestion to combine the Prancing Ponies (Wed) and Ferrari of America (Thurs) events onto the same day rather than being on separate days. Council to work with organizers of those events to determine feasibility.

Council approved motion to close streets for the above events...Concours on the Ave will proceed!

13. rsl2

rsl2 Rookie

Apr 22, 2006
    That is good news. I think most events are on, Concoso Italiano, Quail, Pebble Concours, Carmel show, Porsche Werks show, Laguna Seca probably, Barnyard. I've been going for over 25 years and it's become more than just the cars. Getting together with friends at the events and meeting for dinner is at least as enjoyable as the events, probably more so. If an event cancels I'll just go on drives with my wife in the Daytona. Highway 1 in the Daytona is a hoot.
    In fact, last year we went to Monterey and got together with friends on "car week", just to see our friends, which was a nice break and a lot of fun.
    I think the crowds at Monterey this year will be BIG. I'm in Maui right now and it is slammed with people. You can't get a rental car or a restaurant reservation unless you made one a long time ago. My hotel in Wailea is going to 90% full. People are done with Covid and lock downs. Don't underestimate pent up demand. It's massive. The government is under press pressure to open up.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I agree. If they lift the ban on foreign travel, things will explode.

15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    you’re right, someone will create a secondary market for hotel rooms. $900 a night rooms at the Travelodge coming soon.

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    … with seven night (or more) minimum.

OTOH, I’ve already seen plenty of signs* to eventual Car Week implosion for several years prior to last, so IF any notable uptick is to be expected or actually happens (this year or next), I wouldn’t be surprised if it’ll be one-time experience.

*Last couple of years, for example, just about all lodging in the area had allegedly been sold-out weeks/months before, but driving around during latter (the busy ?) part of the week, 30-50% (maybe more) of motels had “Vacancy” signs on and far less than full parking lots…

375+ likes this.
  17. rsl2

rsl2 Rookie

Apr 22, 2006
    I don't think that's a lack of interest. Just a cost issue. The market will work it out on a supply and demand basis. Everyone I know is over the covid fear. Time for some rulers to find a new crisis. The F car club drives I have been on are full up with one having 60 Ferrari's! A rolling car show.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    It’s not a cost issue, but more a value issue.

TTR likes this.
  19. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I live less than 2mi from the Gooding auction which is walking distance to the Concours de Elegance. I'm willing to rent out my garage for $1200/night. It has a half bath, so it has the basic amenities...

20. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    When I got quoted $400 per night for a Travelodge was when i decided to go to Goodwood Revival instead. Pretty much the same flight from the Northeast.

21. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Ferrari North America has announced a rally starting at Lake Tahoe on Monday August 9 and ending on Thursday in Monterey. Casa Ferrari at Pebble Beach seems to be on but from what I hear vastly reduced in size and scope.

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Rather basic. Should I bring my hammock and TP? A toaster oven? Living inside a garage, rather relaxing.
    I can just imagine, may I invite you to my room?...I assume there are no cars in it or a laundry room?
    I am seriously interested, a photo or two would help, you know, no surprises... ;)

375+ likes this.
  24. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Porsche's Werks Reunion has just announced that this year's event will be at Bayonet golf course. Interesting since the Werks Reunion will be Fri 8/13 and Concorso Italiano will be the next day at the Blackhorse golf course...both being at the same golf complex.

25. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    that’s interesting as Concorso traditionally allows participants to place their cars on the field the night before.