Should you buy a Ferrari without test driving it first? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Should you buy a Ferrari without test driving it first?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Jan 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    A new car? I don't think you'll ever get a test drive.

A used car? I don't think its unreasonable as most likely you'll fall in love with it and the buyer has the advantage.

2. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Mayor. I had to quote your post because I see you are from Vegas. I am interested in a late model F12 or 812. How do you really know you want to shell out $250-$350K for one of these cars without a serious drive first. I found a place in LV called Dream Exotics that has an 812 for rent. Planned an entire trip to Vegas around this 4 hr car rental. I negotiated with the owner 125 miles (normal allowance is 100 miles per rental). I checked in with the owner every few days before departure as I know these rentals can be quite sketchy in Vegas. Night before the drive as we are taking off I get a text from the owner. Can you call me? I guess I should have known this was coming. Called him when we got there. Car won't be available at 9 am and I would be pushed out to 1:30. Called the next morning to confirm. Still 1:30. I Uber over with my son. No sign of the car. They say should be here any time. Let's do the paperwork. My $999 rental came out to just over $2K after taxes and fees. (This was with about a $400 discount). Insurance checked. Credit card swiped. We waited around for an hour and a half listening to one bs explanation after another. 'Guy took the car to LA and is on his way back'. 'The guy is 3-4 miles away and decided to stop for lunch before returning it'. We waited for an hour and a half knowing we would miss our dinner reservations and finally said no more. Buyer beware if you think you will be able to easily test drive a car at one of these companies before buying.

J

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Sounds like another trashy Vegas story... I love Vegas but Vegas, Miami have a lot of of people trying to finesse you. I avoid the strip as much as possible and say in summerlin;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    I drove almost 3 hours away when I bought my Ferrari and I took it for a test drive especially because it was a manual. You should go see it because pictures are deceiving. I saw a 456 with on 20K miles on in the picture the car looked mint when I got there and started it she was smoking all over the place. Go in person and take a look. See for oil spots and leaks or any other red flags.

5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Come to think of it, every new or even used Ferrari I ever bought were sight unseen, much less road test driven.
    As for rental, Black and White in Beverly Hills has a White 812S for rent, Beverly Hills Rent a Car has 812GTS in inventory and 812S coming soon.

6. D-Gunz

D-Gunz Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    David W.
    Car purchased! - it was storming in Seattle, so the "test" drive was the 835 miles back to San Francisco! best road trip EVER...

Thecadster and Dolcevita like this.
  7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #82 ralfabco, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    I have never test drove a single exotic.

PPI - yes.

I did test drive the Alfa 4C to determine, if I would accept the automatic transmission. Aside from the transmission it was awesome.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Just bought another TR without test drive and ppi. Car is wonderful that being said I have the major and had set a good chunk of money to fix it;)

9. jswilli

jswilli Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    jbate william
    I also think it will be better to test driving first before buying a Ferrari. I bought mine with a test drive. I think most of us did. Did you pass the driving test? If not then i think this will be helpful for you- https://drivingpress.com/how-long-does-a-driving-test-take/
    I passed first time, 4 days after my 19th birthday with 4 minors.

10. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have bought four Ferraris (355/360/TR/458S) from the same Dealer and never test drove any of them. That said, I was able to see the cars, know the history and in two instances knew the previous owner(s) so a bit slighted. Same situation with the three Porsches I have purchased (997/996C4s/GT3 Touring). That said, I did test drive my Challenger Hellcat - I don't know but just seemed uncomfortable/uneasy test driving the higher-end cars but felt fine with the Hellcat - call we weird.

All that said, I would never buy a seriously expensive car without seeing it/sitting in it/smelling it etc. even if that meant travel. Again - just me. I know a lot of people - and there are a LOT of people on here - who have purchased very expensive cars sight/feel-unseen with good results so to me the "test drive" is not a big deal but seeing the car is.

I think everyone has different comfort levels - Trouble with Ferrari's is there are not "demo" cars around and most dealers and private owners are not going to facilitate a test drive - less so with Porsche and other marques. I have never purchased a Lambo or McLaren but would imagine much the same as Ferrari.

Cheers and good luck :)

11. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004

12. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Don’t ever never ever never ever buy a Ferrari or VW Bug without a PPI and test drive. I bought a 360 without a PPI or test drive because it was from a Ferrrari dealership. How would they sell a bad car? They did and has cost me time and money. I have been into cars for 50 years and broke my golden rule and paid for the price, literally.

13. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    This. The only difference between the schmuck used car lot and the Ferrari house is.....the margins are bigger at the Ferrari house.

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Unless you have the expertise of Rifledriver or tbakowsky, skip the test drive. You won't find out anything more than a competent PPI will uncover. If you're local fine, but otherwise forget it.

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I've bought three Ferraris. Two with PPIs and test drive and one with no PPI and no test drive. So far all the problems have been with the two I had the PPI and test drive. The one i bought sight unseen has been perfect! I still would error on the side of doing your due diligence but it in no way guarantees that you won't have issues.

Nospinzone likes this.
  16. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    I haven't purchased a car "sight seen" since 2013. All my cars done remotely, never test drove a single one before purchase. That said there was never a question I would like it. Whatever it turned out to be I knew I would like it.

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    NEVER!

Matt

18. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    https://www.royaltyexoticcars.com/las-vegas-nv/ferrari-rentals

Any other agency, you are gambling.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL, I found out a 458 was boring to drive......if I had bought it before driving it, I would have kicked my own ass....

Had the same experience with a 355 and 360.....but instead of boring they were just too slow for what I wanted.

20. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Bought my 458 with no test drive and sight unseen from a Ferrari dealer. Very happy with the car.

21. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    If you find the 458 is boring, what cars do you prefer?

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I drove the Huracan and 458 back to back, and the Huracan was very exciting to drive while the 458 was so isolated. I ended up buying a Ford GT, so I obviously was looking for a more visceral car than either a Huracan or 458.

Very glad I drove everything I was considering.