488 Windshield Glass Replacement | FerrariChat

488 Windshield Glass Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mdrums, May 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    #1 mdrums, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    I searched but can't find info on if anyone has has the windshield replaced here on the forum in a 488. Coming back from a car show Saturday a rock hit my windshield and cracked it. So close to A pillar I got lucky!

Seems the few windshield places I called can not get the part number for a 488GTB windshield. Anyone have that? Sometimes my local dealer will not give out part numbers and they are not very helpful like this.

I am going through StateFarm claims now for replacement. They talking about aftermarket windshields which I will not accept... had to fight them on a Porsche not long ago on this but I never would have thought there was 488 aftermarket windshields out there.

I am trying for mobile service at my home but if anyone has any thoughts or tips let me know.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    With all due respect, if you have to fight with your insurance company for an OEM windshield then you might have the wrong insurance company.
    With such a simple situation, could you imagine how a larger, more complicated claim might go?
    This is just my thought process....

You might want to loo into a company like Pure or even Chubb if you qualify for them.
    Also make sure your agent is one who knows your needs and has your best interest at heart.

Sorry I cant help with your original question but I just wanted to share my experience.

Best of luck,
    GG

3. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    EDIT.. found a photo of a OEM 488 Windshield photo for sale on baby and part number looks like 86250300 on the sticker for inventory on the windshield

4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Its the State Farm underwriters and want the cheapest and fight me...my actual State Farm Agent of good and will fight for me... I am just sick of how hard it is to get anything done these days correctly with OEM correct parts.

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Switch for Farmers. I have an agent in Southern CA who is top notch if you need a referral.

Ray

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    86250300 is the standard windshield, then you have the athermic version which is 86286200.
    Not sure aftermarket windshields actually exist, that may just be a standard response from the insurance company.
    You may ask the insurance company to provide details (reference and quote) of what they are advising, and compare with Ferrari or online offers for the OEM part.

mdrums likes this.
  7. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree with others. Get a new insurance carrier. This should never be issue with good insurance.

Napoli likes this.
  8. jerrym

jerrym Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    SF/BJ
    State Farm is junk

Napoli likes this.
  9. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Have to disagree a bit here.
    I had a top tier insurer using a broker and had a cracked windshield also on a Mercedes. They initially tried to go the aftermarket route and I objected and the claims person said they were instructed to do on every car no matter what type. I asked my broker to get involved and he was able to get it solved with OEM glass. Check your policy and see what it says and if silent on this you should be able to get what you want.

10. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Who was your carrier? I pay thousands of dollars in insurance for all my cars (-and houses) under same carrier. I am the customer and they understand that (windshield claim on my first 458 and took to dealer and told insurcance to pay - which they did). Anything short of that - find a new carrier.

MANDALAY likes this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    :( sad to see.

IMO take it to a Ferrari dealer and get the insurance company to talk to them and work out the price. Not sure but do your cars have aerial in the windscreen ? If so as ours do I would say OEM is the only way. Might have to wait for a while :(

Call me anal but when i built my MR2 local windscreens were about $200 but the genuine Toyota one was $1600. I went with the OEM as i wanted the Toyota sticker etched in the glass.

12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I don’t not think my 488GTB has the heat resistant windshield option.

13. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I only speak from life experiences as my wife is our broker and has been in the business over 40 years.
    My wife had her 2nd Mercedes windshield replaced in a year due to rock chips that have cracked across the screen in the matter of an hours time.
    As the broker she called our carrier and they said no problem. Both times were with OEM glass and couldn't have been easier.
    If the company you are insured by is giving you push back than that says volumes about the company. No matter how good of a broker you have, you still bought into the company and how they treat their customers.

I was rear ended last year i my D/D Ranger p/u and had to deal with their insurance company.
    Doing this was a nightmare as their carrier was The General Insurance (a bottom of the barrel company (imo)).
    Doing this really made me appreciate my carrier......
    I also had my windshield replaced on my truck and when the glass company found out they were putting an OEM glass in a 15 year old truck they said this was a first for them. They asked me 100 questions about the carrier and I enjoyed sharing all I knew about them.

Sorry for your issues, hope all works out well in the end for you.

GG

14. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    As the OSUferrari said, I too was wondering which carrier you were dealing with.
    I believe there are 2 major carriers that don't question the use of OEM glass. There might be more but the ones I mentioned are the ones I know.
    It is unfortunate to be a good paying customer and be treated like this by your company.
    I am happy to hear that they stepped up in the end but should it have ever been an issue in the first place?

Just my thoughts......
    GG

15. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    OEM Glass
    86250300 $3,792.10 retail / $2.907.27 Insurance price

As for aftermarket vs OEM, I do not know of any options other than factory glass for modern Ferrari.
    Its usually written in your policy, if they can use used parts, aftermarket parts, etc.
    In 10+ years , I have not seen an aftermarket glass used on any Ferrari in our care, paid for by insurance.

Steve

MANDALAY and mdrums like this.
  16. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    Mike - sorry to hear about your windshield and you should fight them on using aftermarket parts, if any. Most insurance policies will specify that any aftermarket parts have to be like kind and quality. Many of them also offer OEM replacement parts for an additional premium. As you know, the most important thing is who installs the windshield. Don't compromise on who does the work.

Rich

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  17. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Just learned I have to take the car to my Ferrari dealer for replacement. Fine with me...just been waiting all day for them to call back and schedule the appointment and get my insurance work order number.
    Not 1 single windshield place in my area will tough a Ferrari...or any exit car. Interesting.

18. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Hey Steve, hope all is well.... thanks for the info... taking my car to my local dealer for this work to be done.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  19. steven t evans

Jul 24, 2020
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Evans
    File a complaint with your States Insurance Dept.....the Ins Co hate when you do that. Im a retired Ins Agt 45 yrs with Farmers good luck my friend Steve