Boxer gearbox won't go into gear when stopped | FerrariChat

Boxer gearbox won't go into gear when stopped

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by nelson, May 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nelson

nelson Rookie

Mar 10, 2011
    CT
    Full Name:
    Nelson Heumann
    I have an '84 512bbi that won't go into gear, any gear, when I come to a stop after I've been driving in stop and go traffic or on a road where I'm shifting a lot. While I'm driving, the car shifts fine, up and down, no grinding or other strange noises. The clutch is one year old. the problem started after replacing the clutch. I've bled the slave cylinder with fresh brake fluid. While cold, the transmission seems fine. Any thoughts?

2. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Just to be clear about “won’t go into any gear” do you mean the lever refuses to go far enough to engage? If so my first thought is clutch dragging.

3. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Will it go into gear when the engine is off?

If yes, put the rear of the car on jack stands (block front wheels) and see if the wheels turn when the transmission is in gear with the clutch depressed.

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I agree to alan´s statement: clutch problem
    so when you push the clutch pedal you feel resistance? and if you push several times behind the resistance always is at the same level? if not then there is still some air in the system.
    but I think the clutch alignment itself with the 2 discs is not ok

5. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Just another observation:

I had a weird deal like this which turned out to be the little rubber seal on the clutch master <~> reservoir connection. I was fearing the worst , but was an ez fix, thankfully!

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    have been lucky :)

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Like Joe said, could be air. With the double disc clutch a slight dragging of either of the discs can cause that, so can a bad pilot bearing. Also if one of the discs is binding slightly on the input shaft splines can cause it as well. Many do not know those are supposed to be lightly lubricated when assembled to prevent that.

Melvok likes this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    important ! ! !

Melvok likes this.
  9. nelson

nelson Rookie

Mar 10, 2011
    CT
    Full Name:
    Nelson Heumann
    Thanks for your comments. I bled the clutch again with Motul 600 brake fluid. Then I drove it for 15 minutes, after which I pulled into a parking lot and did half a dozen stop/starts, by which time the car would not go into gear unless I turned off the engine. I drove home and in the driveway, the car would still not go into gear if I came to a complete stop. I measured the movement of the clutch lever ,and it moves 20mm when I depress the clutch pedal, which is the spec in my owner's manual. I then put the rear on blocks and started the car. When I depressed the clutch, the wheels would stop, and the car went into gear easily! I tried shifting the car for 10 minutes and never had a problem!!. this is very frustrating. I think my next step will be to take the transfer case off and look at the clutch to see if I can spot a problem. Thanks again, Nelson.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    While it is apart put a pilot bearing in it, they are cheap. And lightly lube the clutch shaft splines.

11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #13 vincenzo, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    turbo-joe likes this.
  14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    turbo-joe likes this.
  15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And it just simply does not do what you warned of. Right now, I have a 31 year old TR sitting here with a worn out clutch and a perfectly clean and lightly lubricated clutch shaft. I am the first human to see it since it was assembled in Maranello.

Read up on "Centrifugal force". Clutch shafts stay clean in normal operation.

Melvok, pshoejberg and turbo-joe like this.
  16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    YMMV

Attached Files:

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sorry for asking:
    what means this shortcut?

same as: never touch a running system :)

18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Your Mileage May Vary.... to recognize different experiences

Melvok and turbo-joe like this.
  19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #19 vincenzo, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Notice the pic of the splines. All of the grease was ‘splattered’ off during use and went right into the clutch plate assembly... NOT into the bell housing. Splattered due to (as Brian correctly noted) the centrifugal forces at play. The WORST possible place any grease could go. As Brian noted, after use they are ‘perfectly clean’. Yup... the grease is coating the clutch plates.

A hard surface coating will not splatter.

In my younger days at Electramotive (while getting my BSME), we used a similar, baked on version of Molykote on piston skirts. It worked very well. The newer, spray on version ought to perform well on splines. To be fair, the compressive forces on the splines may be too much for the coating. Hard to tell... I have no hard data on the spline loading and have not seen it in this application, but believe it is worth trying.

As an aside, the guys at Electramotive were incredibly brilliant folks.... I was just a kid, but learned a lot. Drinking thru a fire hose, for sure. Sorry to digress, but I miss those days and those people.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/amer/us/en/transportation-industrial/public/documents/en/MOLYKOTE%20D-321%20R%20Anti-Friction%2071-0219G-01.pdf

20. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Are we hearing it may be an inconsistent condition?

Based on your description (e.g. you're getting 20mm of throw), I would consider these three areas which could "hang up" your clutch... besides inadequate spline lubrication :) they include:
    1- A rivet or delamination on part of one of the two clutch disks (which could be temperature sensitive)
    2- A pressure plate finger or spring failure, causing non-planar/axial movement of the pressure plate surface
    3- A failure of one of the intermediate plate (between the two disks) holding fingers, this would also cause a non-planar/axial issue

I replaced my 1983 BBi clutch a couple of decades ago, so I may be a little rusty.
    v/r Paul

21. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    My 'dragging' clutch, after removing the drop gear box 6 times, turned out to be in the pedal box area. Someone replaced the Ferrari clevis pin with a threaded bolt, and that smaller diameter (even though it was so small) would not let the clutch fully release. May be worth looking under the dash and see if the clutch pedal, linkage and rods have any excess play/slop in them.

Just another perspective...mine was on a TR and service history WAS known but you can't count on it being fully accurate. Doesn't cost anything to look in there.

Hope that helps or at least eliminates things for you!
    Cassidy

22. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    vincenzo likes this.
  23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Goes to show that dealer maintained cars are not what you always expect.