When will the SF90 first published test be out? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

When will the SF90 first published test be out?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Igor Ound, Oct 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    That is an excellent endorsement! Please let let us know your experience with the MPS4S. My experience with Cup2 on the Pista is I could almost never get them into their operating window- they could never get quite hot enough on the street. So I switched to the MPS4S and have so much more fun. Before the car would not give me enough feel and I thought there was much more to the tires but I could not get at it- and I was worried the tires could let go with little warning. It never happened, but it was just a sense I would get. With the MPS4S, I get more feel and I am more confident to play with the car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

of2worlds, tfazio and j09333 like this.
  2. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
  3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    That Rimac is crazy fast but double the horsepower and nearly 5 times the price it should blow away the SF90.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Give me the SF90 all day every day.

stavura, Juvendude, TheF1BOB and 3 others like this.
  5. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    insanely fast, the way it was toying with the sf90 was nuts

the engine is the soul of a car and when all manufacturers cars have this kind of electric performance there is no real appeal in picking one manufacturer over another imo

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Exactly! Why would I ever spend $300k+ on an electric Ferrari or Lambo when the all electric Honda Camry will do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds as well. It's just what electric motors do. They're a far more efficient method of developing power. Efficiency doesn't equal passion though.

7. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Exa
    Exactly. I’ve been thinking about this a lot. Rolls Royce Bentley & Range Rover I think will thrive in this new silent luxury branding, as for me, these cars are about the interiors and how the way the car makes you feel, than having sound. Personally I hate them, but if I wanted a luxury silent car on my drive in 2030, probably would give in and buy one. I actually worry for the future of Ferrari & Lamborghini, but they must have a plan, right? I’ve ordered a SF90 AF for the way it goes and how I felt getting out of one on a track, but maybe this is a more important car in the future than it is perceived in 2021. I think being a hybrid and sounding not too bad, it will be desirable to have as we move to silent EV adoption..

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've owned two hybrids (i8 and NSX). If they can keep the weight down, I actually really like the package. You get best of both worlds. Instant torque and then sustained pull plus sound. Problem with both is they were underpowered. NSX from an electric standpoint and i8 from an ICE standpoint.

SF90 is certainly NOT underpowered.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not every EV will have supercar/hypercar performance. The quick ones will be expensive. BMW announced its i4 today. The M50 version is close to M3 money and has similar performance (0-62 mph in 3.9'', but lower top end). So it will be a question of ICE or hybrid or electric supercars on the one hand and normal-everyday ICE/hybrid/EVs cars on the other. There will still be a big difference in performance and price between different categories, irrespectively of their means of propulsion.

10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    there will most likely be a gentlemens agreement between manufacturers to stagger the performance over several models to squeeze as much money out of people as possible but I suspect someone will break that and everyone will end up following

I think i'll end up with a nice electric S-class, my 458 spec and a few other older cars

can't see myself ever purchasing an electric ferrari/lambo tbh although i'm not against having Rimac style level performance, I'll wait until it's more affordable

Caeruleus11 and amenasce like this.
  11. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I just watched Matt Farah's One Take and it totally jives the owners reviews here on the board. This is an amazing piece of engineering by Ferrari. Nothing half baked about this car. What was interesting to me was his comments regarding the chassis. The Aluminium+Carbon combo in the SF90 Stradale seems to have taken the chassis a step forward. I can't wait to read the Spider reviews to see if this new setup cures the non-carbon tub chassis flex issues of the past.
    I am sure you will love your SF90S as well. This car is going to be a sleeper hit for sure. Reminds me a bit of the Porsche 918, all early reviewers fixated on the weight issues and sorta pooh poohed the car but then the finished cars came out and it was a hit and it still has strong demand given that 918 cars were made.

Alvega, JJ77 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you. I am very excited for her to arrive. I’ve read in various places the SF90 is something like 30-40% stiffer than F8.

As to Rimac, I think they’ve done something really impressive. The SF90 is basically the fastest thing out there with an ICE and you can see this prototype Rimac, supposedly at 85% capacity, just walking away. This is the effectiveness of the electric motors. I agree it doesn’t seem as engaging, and maybe its a one trick pony. But maybe they’ve delivered more?

We are all conditioned to find passion with certain things, but what about the next generations- they will have different preferences. Time will tell. I am someone who loves driving old cars with stick shifts but also new cars and I can’t get too excited about a pure EV sports car - today.

Rimac is selling something like 100 or 150 of these wonder cars? Its really amazing and congrats to them- but I’m sure there are enough people to buy that number. However, for a company like Ferrari, they have existing brand associations and also have to go into the future, its an even bigger challenge. They will have to find a way to engage us with such a car. So far, with very rare exception, they have always walked a high tightrope and crossed the ravine to deliver us amazing cars we love. So I have faith they will deliver. I am also glad its not a challenge I am trying to tackle!

F140C, Alvega and bwshihtzu like this.
  13. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    The more I drive, I now find myself driving either qualifying with ct off or electric mode but not inbetween.

It is either full on ICE or EV. SF90 is a great full time hybrid thus future Ferrari hybrid will be great and also, EV only Ferrari will be a thing to have!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

F140C and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    With CT off it still brings in the front end though?

15. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Yes CT off still make front go straight. This car is impossible to go sideways in normal way I would say… lol

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats sounds like you are having fun! Send us some videos!

17. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    You nailed it, the only reason I decided to buy a SF90 because I always wanted a 918 but LHD cars aren't legal where I live.
    918 is one of my favorite cars ever, imagine a 918 with 1000 HP, mind boggling.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    This?

spyderman and of2worlds like this.
  19. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    I am only going to drive in Performance & Qualifying, never EDrive or Hybrid Mode. Performance mode for street and Qualy for Track. I will set the rev counter to yellow, set up Bluetooth music streaming, set up Talk Sport on Radio, then not change a thing. As I don’t like this new interface set up. The only thing I need to find out from a technician at Ferrari or maybe someone here, if I have the car in performance mode all the time I know the battery is charging, but does it deplete fully? What I don’t want to do is then have a weak battery, ie is it like the Apple IPhone, when you are advised to deplete and fully charge the battery 2 times from New, if you want a long lasting battery? If Performance mode is always charging then maybe I’m forced once a week to have hybrid mode on, for longer battery life…

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Just look at the fuel efficiency of these hybrids and the sound of 812 GTS and even the SF90S with GPF honestly is something I can happily live with. I think all this hula buloo around full EV is much ado about nothing when it comes to niche cars. IMHO for my lifetime (I am in my late 30s) Hybrid is the future of sports cars and not full EV.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    From what I can gather, you won’t need to worry, the car wont let you discharge the battery to that point. I think even in Qualify mode it still uses Regen braking and if your drive involves enough braking, you might end up adding charge.

At least at this point I would imagine never using hybrid mode and maybe not even performance very often. I could see using e mode for heading out early in the morning and not disturbing anyone and then going into qualify...

JJ77 likes this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Autoweek did their test as well
    10 Things That Make the SF90 Stradale the Greatest Ferrari Ever Made

Breaking down all the reasons this Ferrari bests all that came before it, ranked in order.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    BY MARK VAUGHN
    JUN 4, 2021
    VIEW PHOTOS
    FERRARI
    Having just spent some thoroughly splendid time in Ferrari’s amazing new SF90 plug-in hybrid supercar, I had a look back at all the technology that makes it work so well in almost everything it does. And? There is no single thing that stands out for this bella macchina; rather, it is the melding of all the parts and systems working seamlessly together that creates what is now my new all-time favorite sports- or supercar ever. It offers all the power and handling of the best of the class without beating the living linguini out of you. Scroll down to see all the work Ferrari did to make the Scuderia Ferrari 90 the worthy successor to the La Ferrari, Enzo, F50, F40, and 288 GTO. There’s a lot going on under that sensuous skin.

1The Looks
    FERRARI
    This is the most beautiful shape since the P4. There, I said it. Go ahead and argue all you want, but what is more beautiful than this? Granted, it is derivative and clearly evolved from the F8, 488, 458, 360, etc., but it is the most beautiful evolution of them all.

2The Aerodynamics
    FERRARI
    Every square centimeter of that beautiful shape serves a practical purpose. Air must be routed to cool the internal combustion engine, the cabin, e-Powertrain, and numerous radiators. Even the wheels suck air out through the brakes to cool them. In back, the active aero utilizes two wings: for low-drag, high-speed driving like down the Hunaudieres Straight, the air flows between the two levels; for low-speed, high-downforce corners, like at the Nürburgring, a feature called the "Shut-Off Gurney Flap" lowers, blocks the airflow under the top wing and forces it up, creating 860 pounds of downforce at 186 mph. Underneath the car, on the flat underside, are two vortex generators that increase downforce by 30 percent compared to the F8.

"This is the most aerodynamically efficient car in the Ferrari range," said Matteo Biancalana, head of aerodynamics at Ferrari. "Aerodynamics influences virtually the entire body surface and the whole of the underbody."

3The Engine
    FERRARI
    The 4.0-liter twin-turbo internal-combustion V8's 769 hp makes it the most powerful V8 in Ferrari history—and just 50 hp shy of the V12 in the limited-edition 812 Competizione.

You may think you see similarities to the twin-turbo V8 in the F8 and 488 (and even the California T), but almost everything on this engine has been changed for the SF90. It has: new intake and exhaust camshafts for higher flow capacity and better turbulence; new crankshaft, con rods, cylinder liners, and pistons; a new intake manifold with reduced volume for optimized volumetric efficiency and knock mitigation; a bigger exhaust manifold for reduced pumping losses; and new intake and exhaust lines.

The injectors for the gasoline direct injection have been moved from the side of the cylinder head to the top so they squirt high-pressure benzina into the chamber in a more efficient, effective manner at over 5000 psi. The cylinder bores have been widened from 86.5 mm to 88 to accommodate both the new injectors and the valves, bumping displacement up to just 10 ccs shy of 4.0 liters. The intake ducts are shorter for higher flow with greater tumble, to mix things up more thoroughly for better combustion. The turbos are the same size as those on the F8 but with larger compression volutes and a new wastegate valve shape. All that combines to make 769 SAE hp from the internal combustion engine alone. Now, the electric motors.

4The Hybrid Components
    FERRARI
    The SF90 is Ferrari's first plug-in hybrid (the 2013 La Ferrari, you'll recall, was not a plug-in, just a hybrid).

"The hybrid system is pretty complex," said Luca Poggio, head of Ferrari's hybrid department.

Only if you have to design it. To explain it is much easier. There are three electric motors, all fed from a slim 7.9-kWh battery mounted like a cross brace just behind the seats. The rearmost battery is pizza-thin and pizza round, and is called MGUK (Motor Generator Unit, Kinetic). Ferrari says the name and the technology comes from F1. It's bolted in between the engine and the eight-speed DCT transmission, just aft of the flywheel on the longitudinally mounted, mid-rear V8.

Up front are two more electric motors, each driving its own front wheel to better allow torque vectoring and all its benefits. The three electric motors make 217 hp, so that altogether this powertrain makes 986 hp. I know you've seen the figure 1000 hp for the SF90, but that is in cavallino, or CV, a sort of metric Italian horsepower. Here in America we use SAE hp, which is where we get that 986-horsepower total. Feel free to round it up to 1000 when discussing the car with your friends after you buy one.

5The DCT
    FERRARI
    Aft of the V8 and rear electric motor is an all-new eight-speed DCT transmission that completes the powertrain perfectly. Ferrari says the SF90 Stradale sports a completely redesigned eight-speed, oil-bath, dual-clutch transmission. New gear ratios and improved efficiency reduce fuel consumption by 8% on the overly optimistic European WLTP cycle.

Like the V8, the DCT uses a dry sump and a significantly more compact clutch assembly with a 20% smaller exterior diameter than the current gearbox, has shaved 15 mm off the installed height in the car, which, in turn, lowers the center of gravity of the running gear by the same amount. Despite the addition of an eighth gear and a maximum torque boost to 900 Nm (the latter an increase of 20% on the current seven-speed), the gearbox's overall weight is actually 7 kg lower. That figure rises to 10 kg with the elimination of the reverse gear—now incorporated in the function of the front electric motors.

The new clutch's performance is 35% higher, transmitting up to 885 lb-ft in dynamic torque in gear shifts. Thanks to new-generation actuation hydraulics, total clutch fill times have been cut to 200 ms compared to the 488 Pista's 300 ms. Just pull back on the paddle shifters and you are cracking through gears just for the fun of listening to the V8 engine roar and burble.

6The Chassis
    FERRARI
    There are similarities with the F8, and if you look at pictures of the two bodies-in-white side-by-side, they make look similar, but Ferrari assures us that the chassis has been completely redesigned. It's still mostly aluminum, but there’s a carbon-fiber bulkhead behind the seats, a superalloy called Inconel throughout, and some of the aluminum is now hollow-cast. This results in a body that has 40% greater torsional rigidity and 20% more bending resistance—all with no increase in weight.

The Fiorano Pack that was on my SF90, and which you should order on yours, comes with even more carbon fiber throughout, including the seats, hood, bumpers, wheels, deck lid, spoiler, and intake plenum. The Fiorano pack also gets titanium springs and aluminum shock housings for weight savings.

7The Acronyms
    FERRARI
    There are more acronyms on this car than in a branch of the Federal government, but taken together they make the whole car work effortlessly. Ferrari says the new hybrid architecture required "extensive and lengthy integration work on the car's many different control logics." That includes high-voltage system controls (battery, RAC-e, MGUK, inverter), engine and gearbox control, and vehicle dynamics controls (traction, braking, Torque Vectoring).

New systems were invented to introduce new features. The eSSC (electronic Side Slip Control) has three means to distribute torque to all four wheels: Electric Traction Control (eTC) distributes torque to the individual wheels, brake-by-wire control with ABS/EBD splits braking between the hydraulic system and the electric motors, Torque Vectoring sends torque to individual front wheels as needed.

The RAC-e electric axle and traction control exploit the additional grip offered by the front wheels when accelerating, brake-by-wire manages kinetic energy recovery through the electric motors by implementing electronically controlled blending of hydraulic and electric braking, and the eSSC control logic supervises how torque is distributed between the front wheels using the RAC-e motors and the electronic control derived from the Torque Vectoring concept, varying between the inside and the outside wheel in cornering based on dynamic conditions with the aim of maximizing performance and delivering easier handling. Plus a few more I probably missed.

8The Interior
    FERRARI
    Just as the exterior was designed to take maximum advantage of the air through which it moves, the SF90's interior is designed to get you, the driver, maximum performance from the car without making you uncomfortable. The most noticeable difference on this new car is the 16-inch screen that curves around the driver's field of view. It has several different configurations, with the default being a huge tachometer in the center surrounded by other functions. You can make all 16 inches into just the NAV screen, for instance, or mix and match to suit your drive at any given time. Likewise, the head-up display keeps the driver informed, while an 8.8-inch screen lets the passenger know just how fast he or she is being driven.

On the steering wheel, the biggest news is the capacitive-touch pad and "a series of haptic buttons that allow the driver to control virtually every aspect of the car using just their thumbs." The problem is you often find yourself triggering functions you didn't intend to, but such is the price of progress. Two twist switches, called manettinos, control vehicle dynamics modes and power management modes. The power modes are: eDrive, which is all-electric; hybrid, the default setting that uses all available sources of propulsion; performance, which keeps the gas engine going and the battery charged; and qualify, which "prioritizes performance over battery charging."

9The Driving
    FERRARI
    As I said, this is now my favorite sports or supercar. On the road it not only tracks the truest through corners, powers off the line and away from apexes with every one of those 1000 cavallinos, but does it with absolutely no brutality. After a day behind the wheel you will not need any ibuprofen at all. Unlike some manufacturers, even the SF90 with the Fiorano Package manages to be comfortable while handling better than just about anything out there without sponsorship logos on it. The feel of the titanium springs is progressive, with small-frequency bumps being eaten up before the rest of the springs firmly resist and absorb the larger whoops.

10The Price
    LORENZO MARCINNO
    The 2021 SF90 Stradale has a base MSRP of $507,300. Don't let that price knock you down because the car I drove stickered at $700,979. Yes, my car had $193,679 worth of options, mostly carbon-fiber trim pieces. The "Asseto Fiorano" package was only $6,240. Most of the nearly $200,000 in options actually did go to making the car lighter (Ferrari only lists "dry weight," without fluids, at 1570 kgs, or 3454 pounds "with optional extras" that we can assume means with the the Asseto Fiorano package). Is this car worth $700,979? Heck yes! If I had 700 grand of your money, you bet I’d buy one. Now, about that loan we discussed…

23. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    I
    Im a fan of the car but this guy has been on the KoolAid!! The headline lol…and so many inaccuracies about the Assetto Fiorano Pack

BJK likes this.
  24. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Umh, I thought It was more like 50k €. What am I missing here? Or is that statement just plain wrong?