‘85 QV; Air duct securing to the door inlets | FerrariChat

‘85 QV; Air duct securing to the door inlets

Discussion in '308/328' started by Cirorsi, Jun 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    How do the air ducts secure to each door inlet? Do the separate grills serve that function? I see the attachment point downstream (at the top) yet no lip where the duct joins the inlet. I researched the QV and 328 diagrams but I can’t see the detail to really know what the grill does other than screen for FOD.

Since I have a non-oem engine, I don’t have an example to reference. I need to get fresh air from the doors to my individual 355 air boxes so I need to create or modify a 308 duct.

i figured this thread would get more attention than the tech forum. Thank you.

Steven
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    They don't really secure in the usual sense -- the ID of the duct's forward end fits over the OD of the rearward protruding body inlet by 10~20~30mm such that when the mounting screw for the duct on the metal bracket further back is installed, the duct can't move backwards so the duct stays overlapped onto the body inlet. The duct and body inlet are also tapered in a compatible way such that the duct can only go so far forward onto the backside of the body inlet. I believe those "grills" were extra pieces only required by some euro countries (e.g., Deutschland).

3. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks Steve, I appreciate the explanation.

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Would love to see pic’s of your QV and 355 engine!:)

Brian A, Cirorsi and Thomas Magnum like this.
  5. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hi Kim, I need to make some better engine bay pics but here are some. I just had the airboxes reworked so that air can flow linear from the doors.

I’ll be honest, I wish I had bought your QV in 2016!!

This sound bite is with a new Fabspeed muffler installed 2019. It’s a little loud, my wife hates it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

6. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Freaking awesome!!:)

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Indeed...I'm usually against any modification to the classic 308, but that one is forgiven...

Rgds

Cirorsi likes this.
  9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    As far as I know, only Germany, Steve. They probably feared that the aspiration of the engine might swallow small children, or who knows who or what? Crows, owls, etc...

Rgds

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  11. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I saw that picture before I had mine done and realized why I didn’t want to use the 355 subframe, it pushes the wheels out too far; I wasn’t willing to add fender flares either. Next job is the a/c, wish me much success!

miketuason and 308 milano like this.
  12. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Stephen was it you and your brother who were going to fly out and look my car over for possible purchase? Then as the time got closer I believe the 328 suited your needs better? This is a terrific project you have going here! Would love to hear the story of how this came to be. Hell, I’m sure all of us would be very interested if you were willing! Looks like a fun project but an awfully lot of work. Wishing you the very best! Kim

13. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    (mike’s first photo) never realized how much further the wheels stick out using the 355 subframe in this conversion until Steven mentioned it. Wow! That is a substantial amount!

14. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    And they were made of the cheapest chicken wire available and pop-rivited in place, in the 308 I saw years ago in Ferrari of Bayreuth (Germany).

It was as amateurish a 'fix' as possible, even for Italian auto makers.

And look at the price IF you can find one. :eek: o_O

I made my two with a set of wire cutters for about €1 Euro, a couple of passes with an old can of spray Flat-Black, and NO Holes or Rivets.

They look far better than OEM.

15. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Kim,

I think someone wanted your car before I knew it was available and then he backed out. At that point you opted not to sell it. This would have been sept 2016 I think.

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    OK yes, You are the pilot I spoke with?
    Sorry Steven for hijacking your thread but this car of yours is really interesting. More horsepower in a 308!!

Cirorsi likes this.