1984 400i Auto - Front console and vent control levers | FerrariChat

1984 400i Auto - Front console and vent control levers

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, May 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    This is a Series II car.
    1) I have an issue with the driver's side vent control lever. To get access I need to be able to lift up the front portion of the center console. I have taken out the two bolts from under the ash tray and the rear of the panel lifts easily but the front of the panel is fixed. Are there bolts for the front? Where? In front of radio opening? Under the gauge cluster?

2) Lever - I first thought the control wire had come undone, but it appears the pivot point for the lever has come loose or is broken. Fearing the worst and these parts available from Ferrari sources or other (Fiat/Alfa)?
    Ken

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I believe Verell (Unobtainium supply company) had some of these made. They are chrome plated brass, instead of plastic like the factory. I’d contact him.

3. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I know Verell and will keep it in mind once I get to see the problem.

I'm still looking for way to get front of panel lifted up.

4. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Lifting the panel front was relatively easy. There are two bolts under the gauge cluster. This allowed me to lift the panel enough without disconnecting all the wires.
    Looking and wiggling the lever resulted in a part falling out and likely at least another piece that was not retrieved. Here are pics of what I retrieved. I am not certain what I should have or if one of these parts is broken or others just missing. If you have a pic of what I should have that would be great or at least say "its broken"! I am sending the same pics to Verell today to see what he can do for me.
    Ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
  6. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I have contacted Verell to create a headlight switch end cap as well as the one on the opposite side for the wipers.

However, in our never ending quest to make these cars look as good as possible, the vent control levers on 46567 continue to crack and break off. I am sure many other owners have experienced this as well - its simply old plastic that has become increasingly fragile...

Is there a part number, supplier, or source for these?

I did inquire from Verell about them, but he would need a perfect one to which create a mold (or several, since each is particular)? I neither have the ability to remove them myself, nor the perfect ones he needs as he indicated that even the slightest scratch and/or imperfection would be part of the cast/mold - even fingerprints!

If someone has already gotten a batch in 3D or would be interested in creating a group buy with Verell, I am definitely interested.

I do not need each of the 4 to be OEM - where it appears each one is different - and if I had the same 4 on mine just with the arrows, I would not mind at all (like the top left on the pic of mine below).

Any leads or info from anyone, by chance?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Good News:
    I just found & purchased a 400 series TEMP lever on eBAY. It's coming from the UK, should arrive in 2 to 3 weeks.
    Not sure when I'll find time to make the mold, may not be until my holiday shut-down.

From the pictures I believe the markings are just printed on the bezel, not embossed or raised.
    If so I will probably polish the silk screening off before making the mold so the bezel will be generic.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ak Jim and OttoB like this.
  8. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Count me in for 4 new ones!

9. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Correct marks for the heater valve are blue forward and red to rear. (As on pic posted by Verell.)

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I ordered my replacements from Eurospares. Mine is a series II, so the black plastic.

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    RE:
    NOT SO GOOD NEWS:
    Just received the TEMP lever. Unfortunately,I didn't look closely enough at the lever's pictures. The corner above the red dot is broken off! You can actually see it in the picture I posted!!!
    :(

Plan B is to create a CAD drawing either by 3D scanning the bezel, or by creating it from scratch. The I can 3D printit.

Will try to do this during my Thanksgivi;ng to New Years shut-down.

Il Tifoso likes this.