Any interest for new door speaker grills? | FerrariChat

Any interest for new door speaker grills?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by sebackman, Feb 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    The plastic grills for the speakers in the doors in my car have seen better days. The ageing plastic is very brittle. They are NLA since many years.

I know there was talk about 3D printing copies but I have not found anyone selling them.

I will have some water jet cut in 3mm aluminium to fit the old mounts. The will have 4 vertical ribs but the same style with a net behind. The can easily be painted to color of choice.

If of interest I can have them make a few extra.

Kind regards
    //Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Rob,

What model are these from? I ask, as the 365 has a lot more of the "ribs" you mention. Attached is the design I did or the 365 speaker grills. In my case my place was the laser cut them and then CNC chamfer the edges a bit. I also am doing the seat trim grills too. These grills are to allow air flow to the back of the seat so that the seat back are not air-cushioned.

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi Sam,

The original multi rib grill is an acoustic disaster. Most newer door speakers do have a tweeter in the center and not much of that will come out from the original grills.

The ones in the crappy drawing are made to fit a 400i series 1, but changed to improve acoustics while still resemble the original once mounted. I know they are not identical but in black, as on mine, you will have too really look for them to see the difference.

The screw holes are symmetrical as in my crappy drawing on 400i, not like in your picture. I could make the 3 middle openings a little longer but that would reduce reduce the area to glue the rear mesh. The screw holes are where they are in the door.

I will have a few done and can post a picture when in place so people can have a look..

Kind regards
    //Rob

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Rob,

Thanks for the clarification, as now it makes sense. Indeed, the 365 grills have non symmetrical mounting holes which may or may be consistent for all of the 365 cars. Other 365 owners would need to confirm. As for the grills and the seat vents... My car spent the majority of its life in extreme heat and so my grills and vent surrounds were severely heat warped. Attached is a pic of the seat grill surround that shows the extent of the warpage...

Best of luck on your project!

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Hi Rob,
    I’m keen for a pair for my series 1 400i, so count me in.
    Ewan

6. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    samsaprunoff likes this.
  7. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    A few of these water jet cut speaker grills for sale. 28 Euro per grill + postage.
    They are cut in aircraft quality alu and can be painted in color to match the interior.
    The design allows modern speakers to sound better than behind the original plastic ones.
    Please PM if of interest.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

samsaprunoff likes this.
  8. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    BUMP.

I still have a a few of these 400i speaker grills. Reducing to 45Euro per pair + package. They make no use on my shelf.

Made in waterjet precision cut aircraft quality aluminum so not heavy and very rigid. Only bare aluminum grill, not painted.

-Or use with other car / installation.

PM or email "[email protected]" if of interest

Stay Safe
    //Rob