488 - Potential Battery Issue? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Potential Battery Issue?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by duck2021, May 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Get a new battery right NOW pleas, get a BOSCH 74 Sh, like the oem battery; may cost $ 150.

Half an hour job.

And get a charger (which should be able to give 10 Amps) instead of a trickler (that may give you 3-4 amps) …

And every time you get trouble starting: new battery …

I have had 3 now in 4,5 years … not a real problem, DIY

Read my threads ( https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/diy-maintenance-458-thread.595191/page-6 ), although 458 it is the same solution …

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Are you sure you are using the search function correctly? 50% of the discussions on Ferrarichat relate to dead batteries in Ferraris lol :)

My advice, as always, is upgrade to the Braille i48CS. Search "Braille i48CS Ray" and you should find your answers.

Ray

rob5819, MANDALAY and alex like this.
  3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Hope it doesn't get stuck at the family event.

Lets put it this way. My first battery. Car started and started our drive , 10 miles latter drop in a service station to fill out. Go back to the car and wont start. Period. Waited for a tow but a guy came up to me that was having a coffee in the parking section and asked me if i needed a start , YEP . Started it went home. Immediately bought a starter and next day used the starter to start the car and off to the dealership.

Ivinsea likes this.
  4. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    #29 SECRET, Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    Just had my car in at the dealer for a battery warning ligtht as well. Car is ALWAYS on the tender so naturally I was not too happy about seeing this the one time in several weeks I finally got a moment to take the car out.

The dealer had some type of diagnostic tool they use on the battery to check the health of the battery + state of charge before and after the diagnostic cycle (overnight). Battery health is indicated at 65%. My car is 1 year old so naturally this doesn't sound too good. As some may have noticed in another thread I posted, I wasted a lot of time and money to learn the AntiGravity battery doesn't fit/work on the Pista.

Important note: besides the positive and negative terminals, there is a sensor connector on the OEM Pista battery.
    The AntiGravity battery did not have this connector, and the OEM connector cannot be left disconnected. Image of the connector on the OEM battery below.

[​IMG]

Dealer did not know what additional data was gathered by the sensor, but the car spit up some errors indicating it would not charge the battery due to sensor reading issues.

I was pretty annoyed that AntiGravity was not aware of this issue. Their website has still not been updated to reflect this.

@RayJohns - Looking at the image of the Braille i48CS, it's hard to tell if it has that connector. Do you know if it does, by any chance?

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Not sure what that connector is for. The i48CS does not have it.

Ray

6. Pransingh Horse

Pransingh Horse Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada

What brands of battery have you used ?

7. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    As mentioned in my battery thread, the voltage of the car when moving is quite interesting.

Went out last night and under load it drops in to the 11's, coasting over 13, deceleration touches 14. Bigger swing than I had expected.

In any case, a car with so much drain, where the manufacturer tells you in the manual '70hrs max off-charger' AND gives you a charger, well you have to expect it to consume them like a pack of AA's.

A battery a year does sound crazy, but when a 'normal' car can sit for 6-8 weeks and these struggle at 1, well the maths tells you its getting a serious workout.

Caeruleus11 and MANDALAY like this.
  8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    And to think my old F-150 used to sit in the Newark Airport Parking lot for months at a time, and start right up when I got in it.

My Honda Accord had the same battery (7 years) when I gave it away.

I should consider myself blessed to be getting two + years in the 458.

9. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    My Porsche GT3 could sit for weeks not a single issue and start right up.

10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    1st 2 were done at dealer so Ferrari OEM batteries... I installed a Interstate AGM battery. I didn’t feel like paying $2500 for a Braille Lithium battery

Pransingh Horse likes this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I fly a lot but have to say never seen a Ferrari at our airport .

12. Pransingh Horse

Pransingh Horse Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada

Im curious, do people actually hookup the vent kit on an interstate AGM to the pipe in the car ?

Im assuming it's not required unless you are using a non AGM, but interested to see what the consensus is here with those that have installed Interstates or other AGM batteries

13. duck2021

duck2021 Rookie

Apr 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Draguicevich
    Hey everyone! I am coming back to this post because we finally got the issue sorted. We took it to the dealership and they confirmed that our battery was toast. He didn't share specifics on what was wrong with it, but ensured that we would need a new one. Fast forward a week because of shipping and getting the car ceramic coated. We are finally able to get the car back today.

For anyone having this issue we were told to first: leave on tender overnight to see if it will sort itself out. Second: disconnect and reconnect battery and follow the process of ecu reset (can be found in another forum post). lastly: if nothing else fixes it then do the old reliable method of taking it to your local Ferrari dealership or service center and letting them deal with it.

SECRET and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would , if someone is willing, add three change battery before bringing to dealer is battery was killed a few times or more than 3 5;years old

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

15. duck2021

duck2021 Rookie

Apr 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Draguicevich
    they replaced our battery with a battery by the number of 920813. The final cost was $4,435 for the battery itself and $205 in labor.

we thought the price was a little much because we found other sellers online for around $2,400

what do you guys think?

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    No idea on price but the Pista does have a lithium ion battery with its associated LiON rated tender. One thing to note about the lights, it can take up to a week on the tender for light #8 to appear. So if you get to 7 you are good. 8 is a kind of long term maintenance mode (going from memory).

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

17. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Also of note, there is an overnight charge procedure that the dealer can use to assess battery state of charge and state of health

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    When the lights are 7/8, that means fully charged.

Use the battery quck release and disconnect the battery overnight. That might clear potential codes and reset the car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Mandalay you are posting incorrect info. This is not like your regular 488.

The Pista comes with a lithium battery and the charger is a rebranded Ctek XS. When it shows 7 leds that means fully charged and maintaining.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Maybe but did you read the OP's post ?

Hey everyone! I am coming back to this post because we finally got the issue sorted. We took it to the dealership and they confirmed that our battery was toast. He didn't share specifics on what was wrong with it, but ensured that we would need a new one

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    ? You paid for the battery ?

22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Yes true and was told my battery was AOK . Then i found myself back at the dealer 2 days later and getting them to replace the battery.

23. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    What’s the typical cost of a battery and labor at dealer. I think mine uses interstate as replacement

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

24. Bkclients

Bkclients Karting

Nov 30, 2010
    This is an absolute travesty to purchase this epic vehicle of automotive engineering and with the majority of cases replace a battery for $5,000.00, with most odometers below 4,000 miles. It’s not a question of affordability, but principle.

We are purchasing 500-650k cars here and are dealt with the embarrassment of error codes, cars not starting, etc. due to defective batteries. Absolutely ridiculous!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Viperjoe likes this.
  25. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Why stop here. Dash leather de laminating, trunk traps breaking off, battery issues. Dealers all say "this is a common problem" meaning that Ferrari knows about these and choses not to fix.

On the leather dash, an upholster told me it because of the edge cuts ferrari Does to get maximum yield from the cow hydes. So they save a few dolloars here and there. Probably save $20 on the trunk staps by using the fake leather.