Optima Yellow Top Vs Interstate H6 | FerrariChat

Optima Yellow Top Vs Interstate H6

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Pransingh Horse, Jun 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pransingh Horse

Pransingh Horse Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Doing some battery research, and was wondering what you all have been choosing for replacements, and what sort of experience you have had with your batteries.

The Optima DH6 Yellowtop shows a higher CA, and higher AH, and the same warranties (3 year free replacement)

The Interstate is the AGM version MTX-48 H6

Interested in hearing everyones experiences, ie. reliability etc.

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Different application but I had an Optima yellow top on my tractor. It did not last as long as the wet lead acid that came with it. I think because in the Winter its used for snow removal and it has not snowed much so sits for months. Replaced it with an AGM last year and that one is very strong but too soon to tell. The yellow top has spiral cells and it just gave out very fast as soon as it started to fade. Couldn't revive it even with a commercial charger. Not sure if this helps you.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    From what I have seen online, the once good quality of the Optima batteries has gone out the window. I read an article a while back talking about how they moved production to Mexico and doubled the price, while quality had taken a nose dive. I don't think they are as good as they once were. I'd search google to see for sure.

Costco sells a battery that works pretty well.

Everyone knows my vote: Braille i48CS.

Ray

5. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Optima used to be owned by JCI…who sold it several years ago to a Canadian PE firm…

RayJohns likes this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    In the early 2000's used Optima batteries in car audio were great. Something has changed that are crap now.

RayJohns likes this.
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That's basically what I have heard as well. If you google around a bit, you can find articles which outline what has happened and why quality has gone down while prices have gone up.

Ray

Scudmsl and MANDALAY like this.
  8. Eds458

Eds458 Karting

Jan 24, 2020
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Edward Lagunte
    I purchased a red and blue top back in 2007. 1 for my boat and 1 for my old Datsun. Both have been on a tender when not in use since day 1 to this date. For this reason I installed the yellow top on my 458. Now reading about what you guys are saying about Optima now, I’m starting to wonder if I made the right decision. So far all is good but it’s only been 6 months.

Ed

9. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    I've had the Interstate in my 488 for 2 years now. No issues but I also keep the car on the tender 24/7 when not driving the car. If your choices are the Optima or the Interstate, then definitely the Interstate.

docf likes this.
  10. Pransingh Horse

Pransingh Horse Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Update: I decided to go with an Interstate AGM. Thanks everyone - for your thoughts.

docf and Bob in Texas like this.
  11. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Where is the best place to get a 488 interstate battery. I think it’s a 229 dollar battery so not looking so much for pricing difference. More at convenience, replacement if it dies (ease to get). Does Costco have them?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat