430 - Anti-clutch wear horror story | FerrariChat

430 Anti-clutch wear horror story

Discussion in '360/430' started by JaguarXJ6, Jun 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Purchased my F430 with new clutch at 26,514 miles replaced at the Collection in Florida. Now at 34,219 showing 1.89% worn. Half the mileage is twisty canyon road the other half highway. I baby it off the line until clutch is engaged with tip in throttle and then let it rip, manettino mostly in Sport.

When I did a road trip to Cali from Colorado last Nov, F&M Motorsports said it was 1% worn via SD3 so I thought I would get it re-read when I got home to Colorado from the same tool + parameters when I was in for service and Bill Evenden my indy confirmed it's hardly wearing.

Set them up and drive them right.

nickorette, EastMemphis and AandSC like this.
  2. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Great work! Any other tips?

3. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Pretty much same story here though I am always in race. Last year when I had her in service she had 91% clutch remaining from what I remember. That’s 20k miles in four years of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I think the secret to a long clutch life in these cars and any other is to "baby" the clutch from a dead start. I never use any gas when starting from a stop. I just gently let the clutch engage and once fully out, give it the gas. The only time I can't do that is starting from a stop on a decent hill.

Unless you're hot rodding it and doing fast shifts at high RPM's, the clutch doesn't really wear much in regular driving. It's the start from a dead stop that kills the clutch.

JoeTSI likes this.
  5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Just so I'm clear, you feather the throttle until about 1800 rpm and the car is moving, then you give it gas. I guess it doesn't wear much even though it's slipping a little unless you jam on it and the clutch is "dropped" by the computer for less slip but more wear.

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't give it any gas. I let the clutch out at idle and when it fully engages, give it gas. It's a slow start but I'm not big on burnouts with the F car. The 360 has a lot of low end torque and 1st gear is very low so the engine has plenty of oomph to get the car moving at idle.

I have a gated car so the process is probably different with the F1. The idea is to have the least RPM's when the clutch engages from a dead stop.

7. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    My interpretation of Voicey's explanation of F1 clutch operation lead me to think that babying the clutch will increase clutch slipping. In particular, when he states "This means that slow speed manoeuvring (forwards or backwards) has a detrimental effect on clutch wear", and "My advice to new drivers is to progressively increase the engine speed as the car is pulling away". He indicates that the clutch will continue to slip until it reaches the specific RPM determined by the torque transmissibility curve. https://aldousvoice.com/2014/08/07/ferrari-f1-clutch-operation/

EastMemphis likes this.
  8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I have two clutches and never get any wear!

Had a V8 Vantage with the F1 transmission and always smelled the clutch after hard driving or reversing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk