Couldn’t secure a Pista allocation...ended up with a 765LT instead | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Couldn’t secure a Pista allocation...ended up with a 765LT instead

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Thecadster, Feb 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    How tall are you? I wanted a 600LT or 720S but couldn’t get in the 600 and getting in the 720 was a struggle plus my head was about touching to roof and my knee was into the lower dash. I’m 6’5” and 227....I’m missing my entire left leg so no idea what a leg weights... but this is me.... I’d love to fit in a 765!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MANDALAY, Bobby_P, energy88 and 3 others like this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m 6’4 225. Fit with no issues in the 720. Obviously I don’t have the issue with the missing leg but I think you will fit just fine.

Gh21631, mdrums and Thecadster like this.
  3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    6’6”
    I fit because I want to fit. It’s not comfortable and it’s not easy, but I make it work. I even have Senna seats in my 765LT.

GT2goneF and mdrums like this.
  4. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Hey S! long time no see. Holy ...... You are 6'4"???? for some reason I thought you were a tad less tall. Hope you are well.

Before you ask, nope I still don't have it yet. They are paint trialing. I am not happy but the car is in pieces. Price I pay to have it like I want it.

SoCal to az likes this.
  5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I might have to stick with Ferrari....not that I’m looking to leave. I will tell you I fit best and comfortable for long drives in my 2018 gt3 Porsche with there light weight bucket race seats...those things are awesome and extremely supportive.

GT2goneF likes this.
  6. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Which make it even worse to get in and out of it, but they are so nice to look at, probably comfortable when you are in them.

7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Damn brother!! I hope you get the car soon!

GT2goneF likes this.
  8. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Must be for 991. Because as much as I love my 997 GT2, the racing (bucket) seats are supportive but uncomfortable as feck. Short drives cool, long drives not for me anymore. That and the clutch. I never saw myself wanting DCT... Now I am looking forward to it.

9. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Yeah the prosthetic leg making it tougher to fit because it only bends one way, forward and back and the foot doesn’t bend or twist. When you say “missing leg” I say, oh it’s not missing I know exactly where it went..................lol......... sorry just having fun

SoCal to az and GT2goneF like this.
  10. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    That makes 2 of us.

SoCal to az likes this.
  11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Yes sorry should have said 991...2018 GT3 991.2

12. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Just unscrew it and put it in the back. Problem fixed.

Boots and mdrums like this.
  13. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    #63 GT2goneF, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    I figured by the year. No need to clarify. I know my Porsches ;)

And there is no way you would fit on a 997, especially with bucket seats. 991 is by far much roomy. You got a great toy. Blessings.

mdrums likes this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I think you’ll be fine in the F12/812. As far as this type of car goes, they are the absolute best you can hope for. Relative to many of these cars, the F12/812 are almost cavernous. However, the Performante is a different story altogether. More on that in a moment.

First, it’s worth noting, that not every 6’6” is the same. How a person’s height and weight is distributed means something. Indeed, it can be a difference maker. My height is distributed evenly between legs and torso, almost perfectly so. That’s a key advantage, and offers tons of built in flexibility. My weight is largely in my glutes and upper back (years and years of deadlifting). In short, I am about the perfect tall/big guy to fit in these cars. I am not long torso’d and hippy, that would be about the worst body type.

Second, technique matters. Generally, I pull the seat forward 1-2”, exaggerate the recline, slide my butt down and towards the wheel, then I bend my knees in such a way that the wheel rests between my knees, then I scrunch down. This works to get me in the car, and allows me to safely operate it, but it precludes me from considering cross-country road trips.

The Performante was tight, but not nearly as tight as Aventadors, which no matter how badly I wanted one, I simply could not make work. One of the reasons I am transitioning to the STO from my beloved Performante is the new sport seats offer about 2” in additional headroom. I went down and sat in the car when it came through Charlotte, and those seats were a game changer.

As in most areas of life, if you want something bad enough, you find a way to make it work. I love these damn cars, and I tolerate all the compromises that come with ownership. When people see me, they think there’s no way I can shoehorn myself into one of these cars, and then they proceed to laugh their arses off when they see me do just that.

15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Very valid point.

16. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    Thanks once again for taking the time to write your detailed response.

Not to elevate my physique to the level of a multi-year deadlifter :) , but we seem to have similar builds. I, as well, am nearly 50/50 proportioned with regard to legs/torso...if anything...may be 52-54% leg.

Previously, when I was curious about fitting in a far too small car, I would...like most, I suspect...google something along the line of "tall driver fit in xyz." Now, I simply come to FerrariChat and check to see if Thecadster has/had the particular car. You have become my "will I fit" encyclopedia. :)

Thanks for the first hand info. on the STO seats as well. I, like yourself, want to accumulate what I consider the "best" ICE before they leave us. The Performante or STO definitely check that box for me. I am also alleged by my local Porsche dealer to receive allocation 1 for the 992 GT3 Touring...thereby, filling my desire for a manual naturally aspirated car.

You are lucky to have the Ford GT. I really screwed that one up.

Back in late-2006/early-2007 my local dealer was sitting on a Heritage GT. If I remember correctly the car stickered for around $176k with approximately $14k of that due to the Heritage paint scheme. While I loved the look...I feared purchasing it given the attention it would draw while driving.

Cannot remember how many Heritage editions were built, but I recall they were essentially the last cars made and delivered to dealers. Back then there were plenty sitting on lots. So much so that my local dealer was offering me $15k off MSRP to remove the Heritage "premium." Still I balked...now when I watch a Barrett Jackson auction I cry myself to sleep. :)

GT2goneF and Thecadster like this.
  17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You can still go buy one (regular paint) for probably not that much more than the 992 Touring....and it will be a much more visceral, exciting car to own. Better looking, very expandable power base, cool big clamshell, no dumb "driver aids". True icons don't come around very often.

18. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    Completely agree with you on all counts describing the Ford GT. Pricing on the other hand...

The Touring is expected to have an approximately $5k more base price than the winged 992 GT3. Using the configurator for the winged version I come out around $200-210k for my spec..

A quick glance at Ebay shows the '05/'06 GTs with greater than 10k miles going for $300k+...lower mile cars are $350k-$390k.

Higher than I want to spend for a now 15 year old car with potential for replacement part issues.

I won't even mention the bitterness of that pill I would have to swallow to pay nearly double what I could have paid years ago for a new example. :)

Shark01 and Thecadster like this.
  19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I faced the same dilemma. Like you, I nearly purchased a 2006, except in Tungsten. I even Fed Ex’d a check, only to later ask the dealer to send it back. The residue of that missed opportunity lasted for a long time, and kept me from acquiring one. Not to mention, the indignity of having to spend even more money. Ultimately, I found a way through that, and pulled the trigger. The car is brilliant and iconic in a way that a 992 GT3 (I’m a fan of that car too, and intend to acquire the RS version when available) can never hope to be.

Here’s my original thread that details my purchase last year. Best of all, I fit, but just barely.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147079734/

Shark01 and Bobby_P like this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If you can accept say a 40-50k mile car, there will be options below $250k.....I know of 2 such sales recently (far below $250k). You have to work your butt off but they are out there.

Parts may be an issue at some point, but because they did make 4,000+ of them there is a growing aftermarket.

Bobby_P and Thecadster like this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    The parts availability (or lack thereof) is at least partially offset by the well-documented bullet proof nature of the platform itself. Perhaps it’s the analog nature of the car, but, to me, it feels as dependable as a Toyota Corolla.

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If we are going down that rat hole, I had an opportunity to buy a high mile Porsche CGT that needed some TLC for $286k about 10 years ago.

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Because mine is a higher mile car, I have needed to put some money into maintenance ($10k so far) and I can see the path where there will be some difficulty finding some FGT only parts. Just recently, I had to replace the spring bumpers on the clamshell latches. Specialized part Ford has been out of stock on for a long time. Thanks to the strong brotherhood of owners, someone found out Lowes sold a bumper that fit the spring....solved for less than $1.

24. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    You guys are doing a good job convincing me to spend some $$$. :)

Quick question...this is going off my memory from back in 2006-ish so I may be mistaken, but wasn't there a not-so-rare issue with the gauge cluster (or a single gauge) failing? Thinking I remember reading about the issue on the FordGT forum back-in-the-day. If I am correct...has that been addressed with an aftermarket fix or the like? As I recall...it was frustrating several members of the forum.

Thecadster likes this.
  25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Gauges are indeed a common problem, but one that can be repaired with replacement components. Also, the techniques for avoiding failure in the first place are, by now, well-established. Keeping the battery charged is critical, and the start sequence (turning the key, waiting for the gauges to “load”, then pushing the start button) is equally crucial.

Bobby_P likes this.