Buying a 2012 Ferrari 458 next week. What should I look out for? | FerrariChat

Buying a 2012 Ferrari 458 next week. What should I look out for?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yhenry, Jun 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yhenry

yhenry Rookie

Jun 3, 2021
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    yusuf henry
    Hello guys. I'm about to finally pull the trigger on my dream car. I'm a car guy buy nature but I know NOTHING about Ferrari. The car is a 2012 458 and it has 20k miles. It has 70k in body kit mods and wheels. I will list the description of the mods below. I'm in Houston TX and the car is in Orange County California. First question Is where do I take it to get a post purchase inspection and what should they check. I called Ferrari of New Port and they will only do a safety inspection that consists of a scan of the car and walk around. I called Mark Douglas Motor Works? Has anyone used them to service their car? Any suggestions on who I should take the car to so I can have it checked out? And can you guys recommend a 3rd party warranty company being that Ferrari will not warranty the car due to the body kit mods. Listed below are the mods on the car
    Modifications

- Vorsteiner 458VX front rear bumpers and lip
    - OEM 458 Speciale vented hood
    - 3M Gloss Storm Gray wrap
    - iforza 458 Speciale finned side skirts
    - 20" HRE 305 classic on Michelin Cup 2 -- IPE Headers - - Kline exhaust (perfect high pitch F1 sound) -
    - BMC air filter
    - Antigravity battery $ Novitec springs - OEM carbon laferrari style bridge - OEM carbon paddles - $- Ricambi carbon airbox - Ricambi carbon fuel door - HD tuned - Forza exhaust valve controller - Full expel front and side paint film protection -

Please help. The car is a beauty!!!

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

You'll be in good hands with Mark Douglas Motorworks.

The body kit and wheels, to be fair, should have zero value in the pricing of the car. Some people like them, some hate them.... but that aside, I believe they cannot in any way be considered an addition which makes the car more expensive in the general marketplace. The OEM hood, bridge and paddles, sure those have value. Everything else, not so much.

Make sure the pieces you are told are 'OEM', in fact are Ferrari Genuine.

Falcon7x and Melvok like this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- Affirmative, most buyers would not even consider a Ferrari that had been that heavily modified.

Falcon7x, Melvok, NuorderSG and 2 others like this.
  4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A good pre-purchase inspection carries is much more valuable than a post-purchase inspection;)

Falcon7x and cool flash like this.
  5. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

#5 NuorderSG, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    PPI are kind of a joke for late model cars. Many dealers don't even offer them. Instead, get a really good service warranty. The transmissions in these cars will pass a PPI then fail a few miles down the road. Transmission aside, the cars are pretty solid.

Speaking from experience. Bought a good service warranty. ~$40K in transmission repairs paid by warranty ultimately left me a car with a new transmission and a smile on my face every time I drive it. Warranty service: 2 yr contract $10K , unlimited miles. OEM Replacement transmission from Ferrari gives me an Additional 2 yrs warranty. I am smiling and loving this car.

Cosmetic Mods add Zero to the intrinsic value of the car. Don't fall for the swoon. A purple velvet, suede seat would add zero value...except maybe to a Kardashian or some rapper. To everyone else, it would just be a tacky nothing to burn at the next beach campfire.

6. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Body kit actually effects the car negatively..if i was buying a 458 the last one i'd consider would be one with a body kit..One thing i'd say to make sure you look out for is the Trans sensors..which will only show their bad side when the car has been warmed up and HOT..so you can take in for a ppi and its just fine if cold..you should make sure the car is driven at least 15-20 miles before the PPI is done (Yes if trans sensors acting up you would have stored code, but someone could have cleared, you never know)

7. yhenry

yhenry Rookie

Jun 3, 2021
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    yusuf henry
    Thanks for the response. Who do you recommend to purchase the warranty from being that I can't buy it from Ferrari?

8. yhenry

yhenry Rookie

Jun 3, 2021
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    yusuf henry
    Thanks guys for the advice. Does anyone know of a good 3rd party warranty company for Ferrari?

9. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Here are some I have used.
    1. Allegiance administrators
    2. www.americanfirstautoprotect.com
    3. Fidelity Warranty Services (800) 327-5172
    4. SecureNet (800) 833-8443
    5. Ferrari power train warranty..

I have insured Ferraris via #1 , #2 & #5 Porsches via #3 & 4. But you should see if all can quote you on your specific Ferrari.

Some are sold only through dealers of resellers. Some may not insure your specific car...even if it is a make or model they insure.

The Ferrari power train warranty is a bit pricey for the very limited coverage they offer. However, they do insure the most critical parts...and it is an annual contract....which is a plus of you change cars as often as I do.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    A Ferrari PPI is done by F dealers only; an extensive 199 inspection points.

But what NuorderSG says is true; it's a check at that moment only. Gearbox can still go ...

Result is an official Ferrari document.

Based on that document the F dealer may "sell" you Power warranty.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 458 is a very good car. My only concern would be the body kit. Sometimes these kits are installed because it is cheaper to install a body kit after an accident then it is to put the car back to stock using original parts. Make sure you have it checked out thoroughly.

12. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    Congrats. The mileage it’s at, a number of 458 starts to have transmission sensor problems, $17k repair, just be aware

13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    You did not ask for thoughts on the car so I will politely not weigh in.

If you do need to get a warranty I would use Ferrsure - http://ferrsure.com/

I got mine from them. Not sure if they do mods though.