458 - Failed PPI - gearbox leak | FerrariChat

458 Failed PPI - gearbox leak

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jc1, Jun 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    I was all set to purchase a seemingly nice 2013 458 spider. Car was well optioned, clean, drove great, routine service history at Ferrari. I was absolutely convinced the car was ok and almost passed on the PPI because I was so excited to take the car home. I decided to be smart and send it to the nearest F dealer on a flatbed for inspection.

An hour or two in, they found a gearbox leak. Turns out someone must’ve seen the leak before because it had been patched with epoxy. The dealer selling me the car is devastated. They took the car on a trade and while I’m sure they checked it over, they assumed the car would be ok due to the routine service history.

Today we’re going to get to the bottom of things, will try to figure out if the previous owners were ever notified by Ferrari service.

The dealer I was buying from has been incredible. I have no doubts this is a huge surprise to them. They have been so kind to even reimburse not only my deposit but my flights to come see the car.

I’m pretty bummed, I thought this was finally the one. Let it be a lesson to be patient and insist on PPI. The new gearbox repair was quoted at $40-50k.

Melvok likes this.
  2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Sorry to hear. The default answer when it comes to gearboxes is “you need a new one” but there are dealers and independents versed in repairing them at a significantly less cost.

Also worth noting that Ferrari’s New Power extended warranty specifically excludes leaks, so curious to see what the cause is and eventual repair cost might be.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow! That "leak" escalated quickly!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. JasonXander84

JasonXander84 Rookie

Sep 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jason Xander
    Yes thats all legit, Im going through the same thing right now with a 2015 Cali T. I would imagine at some point ferrari has a class action suit. 25k to 50k is not normal to spend on a vehicle with such low miles thats well kept. In addition its more of a "common theme" and less of a "one off".

5. JasonXander84

JasonXander84 Rookie

Sep 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jason Xander
    There is, Renn Haus is Florida in one of them.

6. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    OP: Would be nice if you can give us info on the car, maybe don't post the vin but at least some info just incase other buyers are looking can know whats going on w the car

While mine didn't have a gearbox leak, it had failed trans sensors, which required the dealer to split the Trans case open and replace the sensors, this all cost me under $9,000 at Ferrari of San Diego (great dealer & very versed in fixing 458 gearboxes because they have a challenge team & gearboxes frequently fail on those cars) i'd assume changing a gasket for the leak while splitting the case would be around the same labor time..

Melvok, Rexcat458 and Need4Spd like this.
  7. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    Looks like the car is here now: https://www.bentleyhouston.com/vehicle-details/used-2013-ferrari-458-italia--houston-tx-id-44020015

8. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I just had to deal with a leak from the gear box. Dealer determined it was the O ring from the dct cooler line and a hairline fracture on the cooler line. Parts $2,050 and labor was $3,283. Do yourself a favor and see if you really need a new gearbox.

9. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    Wasn’t worth the headache. Plenty of other good ones out there. I found a gem just a few weeks later.

ridege55 likes this.
  10. Amrit Singh

Amrit Singh Rookie

Mar 17, 2016
    Full Name:
    Amrit
    It’s probably coming from the weep hole, if it is then one of the seals have failed. Problem is that the weep hole protects the gearbox from mixing the DTC/gearbox fluids. So what will happen that the weep hole when blocked will fill up and then slowly make itself onto the other side. Which will chew up the clutch at the very a least.