Battery dead California T | FerrariChat

Battery dead California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Jack Yao, Jun 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack Yao

Jack Yao Rookie

Mar 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jack Yao
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I haven’t drove my Ferrari California T for a while and the battery is dead. I know the normal charger hooks up in the bank of trunk, but that charger is in my trunk and I can’t open it now. ( my key is stuck in the switch now and can’t get out).

I borrowed this charger from my friend and seems it’s not charging. Is the battery completely dead and can’t be charged? Am I doing anything wrong?

Any suggestion what I should do now?
    If I buy a new battery. Is it possible to change it diy or it’s something has to ask Ferrari people to do?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    That is not a battery charger, it is a battery tender. It is meant to keep a charged battery topped up, not revive a dead battery. If you had kept the tender on the car while you were away, you likely wouldn't have had this issue.

Do you own a battery charger and a voltmeter? Do you have the ability to remove the battery yourself?

3. Jack Yao

Jack Yao Rookie

Mar 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jack Yao
    Thank you!

Oh, I don’t have a battery charger then, and I don’t have a voltmeter but I can get one.

Is this a batter charger or still a tender?
    https://www.juicemyride.com/products/ferrari-488-battery-charger?variant=31897507004477&gclid=Cj0KCQjwweyFBhDvARIsAA67M71eun1I5MMN9gWvYai4m45plxKREUCq-4oYknAQ69y1gTRlT0ZTrXAaAnuREALw_wcB

I don’t think I have the ability to remove the battery, it looks complicated, just want to check with you guys if it’s an easy job.

4. Jpacione

Jpacione Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2014
  5. Jack Yao

Jack Yao Rookie

Mar 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jack Yao
    Thanks, I have a very
    Great! Thanks!
    Will a jump starter like this ruin the electronics? Any danger or things I should be careful about?

6. Jpacione

Jpacione Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2014
    No, it won’t. And they have safety circuitry built into them so if they are not hooked up right, they don’t let the juice flow. Once the car starts, disconnect the cables. Went to test drive some ferraris a month or so ago, and one of them wouldn’t start - they used one of these right in front of me to start the car.

7. Jack Yao

Jack Yao Rookie

Mar 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jack Yao
    I use a jump starter and the car is back on, but it shows electronic problems and it doesn’t go to R or Forward, it’s started but can’t drive it, any ideas?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Jpacione

Jpacione Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2014
    My guess would be the battery is too weak, but not sure. Perhaps let it idle for 5 or so min, turn it off, and restart. you may have to use jumper again. I’m not familiar with what electronic systems may be keeping it from going into gear. When they jumped the one I test drove, it went into gear as normal.

9. Jack Yao

Jack Yao Rookie

Mar 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jack Yao
    Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I put the tender on and it shows one light at least, will see if it can be charged.

Thanks

10. Jpacione

Jpacione Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2014
    Did it hold a charge?

11. Jack Yao

Jack Yao Rookie

Mar 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jack Yao
    No, too bad, still one light after one nights charge. Guess I will have to talk to the dealer

12. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Driving your car and using your alternator to charge a completely dead battery and of questionable condition is not advisable. Too hard on the alternator. The battery should tested, preferably a load test. Then fully charges with a battery charger. Then your in good shape. Other than this method you run risks with low power to all the electronic components.

13. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I would never jump start a Ferrari, or any modern car. The Tech forum and various model sections are full of tails of woe from owners and cautionary advice from current and retired Techs.

If your battery is dead hook up a proper charger and fully charge it before starting. Then keep it on the battery tender.
    The ctek unit you have is a great tender but it would take forever to recharge a dead battery.