Bullfighter in Hospital - Hit head-on by DUI | Page 52 | FerrariChat

Bullfighter in Hospital - Hit head-on by DUI

Discussion in '308/328' started by Robb, Mar 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Great great news
    It’s a long road

mwr4440 likes this.
  2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Truly great news.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    So happy to hear this news! :)

And, I'm looking forward to seeing you behind the wheel of a Ferrari once more - Be it one of your own, or one lent to you, on road or on track!

If you can drive a Camry, then there's no reason you can't drive a Ferrari!

As Chubawamamba once sang:

"I get knocked down,
    But I get up again,
    You're never gonna keep me down!....."

Never, ever, ever give up Buddy! :cool:

Albert-LP, Rosey and energy88 like this.
  5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Very good news to hear this morning. Jon, are you able to enter/exit the Camry without assistance? If not give it time, it will come. I asked this so the guys have a timeframe of when to start flooding you with solicitations of 328’s for sale!:) Thanks for the update of your continuing progress! Wishing you the very best!

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, yes, I am the Master of the Camry… it’s a normal seat height, normal outwards visibility kind of car. I do have lots of difficulty exiting low cars like a 328, and it’s a struggle to get seated in SUVs.

My left leg is good to stand on, but has spasticity so useless on a clutch pedal. I still need a “spinner” knob to steer.

So, no 328 in the near future. And the Camry belongs to the good people at the driving school, so it’s gone.

My driving rehab person suggested a wheelchair-modified van, and I told her politely but quickly that wasn’t a plan I’d consider.

I will be looking at inspirational cars that offer a reasonable ride height, and that can be driven in (sigh/gulp) auto mode. I’ve just had a serious 5 year lesson in how life is short, so no Camrys or vans. I had a Porsche 993 in the past, and it works for me now - that’s kind of the 328 of the Porsche universe, sounds great and has gauges, not video screens. Also looking at the 575, which I’ve always liked. I’d need F1, so don’t need to get into a bidding war over the few three-pedal manuals. Gary Bobileff is looking for one - I need to do an ingress/egress test before considering it. It gets old if you have to call the EMTs every time you want to get out of the car.

Hopefully will have something in the new (being built next month) garage this summer. Psychologically, it has been a massive boost and welcome distraction to be able to start perusing car ads with the knowledge I could actually buy and drive something. I’ve intentionally avoided car club events and even the F1 seasons on television since the accident. Hurts to be reminded. But apparently there’s a next chapter, and it won’t be in some $80K wheelchair van. Where do you put the fender shields on these anyway.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Jon thanks so much for the update. I was just thinking about you this week and your advice on enjoying every day. I don’t care about the miles and drive my car as often as possible. We are all pulling hard for you. All the best.

tazz99 likes this.
  8. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Glad you are on the hunt, so to speak.
    Has a 612 ever entered the conversation?

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

excellent news! Good to hear some of that humor coming back also!

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Loving the disdain at the suggestion of driving a modified van!

Clay Regazzoni drove a Ferrari Daytona with hand controls after being paralyzed from the waist down - Nothing is impossible!

With "flappy paddle" Ferrari's that we have now, and even automatic Ferrari's such as the 456 GTA, there's no real reason why you can't be behind the wheel of one of Ferrari's finest again! :cool:

You need a knob on the steering wheel? - Ask most people, and they will tell you that there's always a knob attached to a Ferrari steering wheel! :D

(You might need to look up what a "knob" is, in English humour ;))

Keep up the good work with your recovery Jon, and know that, people who have never even met you are rooting for you, and hoping to see you behind the wheel of a Ferrari again! :)

bernieb, 308 milano and Bullfighter like this.
  11. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Regazzoni is an inspiration, no doubt.

(And yes, I learned about “knobs” from Professors Clarkson, Hammond and May.)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4rePhill, JSinNOLA and 308 milano like this.
  12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Wow, I can't believe it's been that long (I'm sure you can).

I still remember where I was when I first saw this post.

It's a testament to you and the human spirit that you have come so far in that time.

I agree, the final classic shaped 993 is the 328 of the Porsche family just like the mass produced, market flooded 996 is equivalent to the more common, less desirable 360.

Good luck with whatever prancing horse you manage to acquire for your new stable.

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    We were in the garage next to a paraplegic racer travel racing at a track and state I can't remember. The guy competed in SCCA GT3 a highly developed tubeframe racecar with a mazda rx7 skin body he built himself and drove with handcontrols of his own design. I have hug respect for a driver who races competitively with a disability. The driver was amazing

308 milano likes this.
  14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Sounds like a 456 GTA or a 400iA is in your future. Or any of the paddle-flapper V12s

15. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Glad to hear that you are able to drive and things are looking up.

FYI, Botox is approved for both upper and lower limb spasticity. It’s typically for post stroke spasticity, but also after spinal cord injury. Maybe helpful for you?

16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Bentley Continental GT? A sports-luxury car that's pretty easy for ingress/egress, fairly quick (despite it's weight), inspirational, and is automatic.

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It is humbling and wonderful to read this at the same time. Five years is an awfully long time and must have asked from you a tremendous amount of courage and perseverance, and this is humbling; and yet...here you are speaking about which Ferrari could suit you, which is wonderful.
    You have been through difficult times, Jon, but reading this is great.

Rgds

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Fantasic news: a long battle that is giving some good result! keep on fighting!

Ciao

308 milano and Rosey like this.
  19. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Fantastic, Jon! Have a think about a convertible - maybe a 430 F1? It's so much easier to get in and out of one - no ducking, just swing in and plop down. When I met my wife, she had a Saab 93 Aero convertible. We kept it through two kids - it was surprisingly easy to drop the kid in the child seat in the back with the roof off! Much easier than leaning in the bac seat of a 4 door car. Just a thought!

20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Good idea. How did you go getting the child in the seat with the roof on however?

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks all for the well wishes - probably should have started a “Best Ferrari for disabled guy?” thread but I read and appreciate every post.

Thought about it, but the mid-engined cars are really low, and it’s an awkward and usually unsuccessful struggle to get out of them. I love the 308, 328 and 488, but even without a roof they’re near impossible. Maybe with more leg presses I’ll get back there someday.

Yes, it is, and I’ve gone through 5 cycles of Botox injections. It has been less helpful than hoped. My mindset now is that exercise and time are the best path, but Botox is a useful temporary tool.

Good option, definitely, but my heart is really with Ferrari and classic Porsche - more of a visceral connection to motor sports. It’s a hard balancing act, finding a “raw” sports car that works with my Body 2.0 downgrade.

22. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It was... tricky. In any case, baby no.3 came along, so the Saab was retired and the Lexus moved in.

Rosey likes this.
  23. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    True... I find it hard to get in and out of them, and I don't have your excuse!

24. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Surely some of the clever engineers/fabricators here must be thinking of how to construct a special seat that could perhaps elevate and move toward Jon enough to permit him to get in and out of a low car. Jon you are inspirational and have given me a better perspective in life.

Texas Forever and 308 milano like this.
  25. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    So exciting and glad to hear!
    Humbly offering a *completely* diff't driving option to the mix: Buick Grand National. Clearly not a sports car, but a ton of fun to drive in a straight line and gentle curves. Easy entry/exit. Beautiful car and lots of looks. And you definitely wouldn't be the first to mount a spinner on the steering wheel. At the very least, it'd be a great car to steward for the next bit 'o time until you're able to get back into a 3x8.

Again, huge congrats. You've been an inspiration to so many on this forum.