Charging F12 Battery...anyone add an attachment point to the battery? | FerrariChat

Charging F12 Battery...anyone add an attachment point to the battery?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Bobby_P, Jun 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    Thinking of bypassing the unnecessarily complicated battery charging connection point in the rear hatch of the F12 and replacing with a charging cable directly on the battery terminals; thereby, allowing charging access from the engine compartment. Thinking the battery eyelet cable may be able to be secured to, and just reach out of, the small plastic cover hiding the battery.

It would not only be a more convenient charging location for me, but...rather than using the Ferrari Ctek unit...I could simply charge using my existing NOCO 4-bank existing charger (and yes, it has the correct settings for the F12 battery).

Anyone use this type of set up to allow for charging via the engine compartment? See any potential issues I may be overlooking?

Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I did not install it but my car came with it.

3. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    Attached my NOCO charging cable directly to the battery connections this AM. Far more convenient location than using the rear charging port, IMO.

Super easy to install the eyelets to the terminals as well...maybe a 15 minute job if you go slow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    With a lithium battery, no plugging in!

Coming up on a year with a antigravity battery in the 458 and only used the charger once!
    Almost like a real car!

Now am using one in the FF for about a month with no issues at all. Hasn’t been on the charger yet.

SV

Bobby_P and vraa like this.
  5. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    I was considering making the switch to a lithium (Antigravity or Braille); however, some on this forum have expressed concerns regarding the placement of the battery within the engine compartment and the associated heat the lithium battery would have to endure.

Not certain where the battery is located in the 458 & FF, but...assuming in the engine compartment as well...I take it you have not experienced any heat related issues/degradation?

6. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    It will be nice if able to route the connector to the outside, ie leave it sitting next to the base of the windshield near the passenger windshield wiper. That will save the hassle of having to pop the hood every time, but it's probably a good idea to pop the hood in your own garage to release the excessive heat. I also connect directly to the terminals, I just let the hood come down all the way and sit without closing it completely

Bobby_P likes this.