Dropped spanner in engine | FerrariChat

Dropped spanner in engine

Discussion in '308/328' started by bertspeed, Jun 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
    I was just checking the nuts of the thermostat housing for tightness in readiness for my first drive of the year when the 10mm spanner fell. I cant even see it and fear it has fallen into the housing of the front timing belt, which is a big undertaking to remove. I have removed this cover before when doing the belts and I do not want to do it again espeially as my ac compressor is a real pita to get out.
    How hard can it be to "lose" a six inch long spanner.

2. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    I think we've all done something similar. On the positive side, I think I'd prefer to lose something big like a spanner that's easier to find! And on the 308 things can drop out vs say a 550 with an undertray.

I bought an endoscope off Amazon that plugs to my phone for this very problem and has a magnet attachment etc - could be worth borrowing or buying one, they're pretty cheap?

Good luck
    John

375+ and 308 milano like this.
  3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Can guarantee if it was me I would pull that belt cover only to find that 10 mm wrench sitting on the bench behind me!

moysiuan, newark_308, Saabguy and 7 others like this.
  4. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    LOL

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    All you can do is throughly search until you find it. Poking around with one of those magnet tools might be helpful as is a LOT of light from different angles.

You sure you dropped it in there? I once couldn't find the wrench I had been using - thought I must have laid it in the engine somewhere. Finally found it...in the refrigerator! I had gone in to get a cold drink, had the wrench in my hand and laid it on the fridge shelf to move some items. Got my drink, forgot the ratchet... ;)

Pero, Abl8r, Mikael-F360 and 4 others like this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    At least its not the clutch inspection hole! I'd spend the after noon and take off the cover or at least the backing cover.

7. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Listening and remembering the sound(s) the dropped wrench made when it fell give you some clues as to where it might be (if you did not see its path).

ferrariowner and EastMemphis like this.
  8. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    The elusive 10mm, wrench or socket, always bound to be missing/losing one. Best of luck to you sir. Be patient. Deep breaths. Try to hunt for it just a little while every day.

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you could only turn the car upside down and shake it that would be cool.:)

Pero likes this.
  10. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I had a similar experience years ago while replacing my thermostat, I dropped one of the threaded studs and didn’t hear it hit the floor. After a long search, I found it here. Big relief! Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Ooooo!

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow!

13. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yikes!

14. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    I did the same thing today with my 308 rear cylinder timing belt cover. I dropped a stubby screw driver and could only see the plastic handle, which did not react to my magnet-on-a-stick. In desperation, I stuck a long handle screw driver in the area, and knocked the small tool onto the floor. It was a good reminder to be more careful. :)

15. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
  16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Check to see if my land rover is in there while u r at it- i know i left it somewhere

17. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    But you've left the oil galleys in the head wide open! ;)

Seriously, I had the sump bottom cover off my QV this winter to install the baffle and get a new gasket on it, and found a small washer sitting in the bottom of the sump tray. A previous owner/mechanic must have dropped it down one of the oil galleys in a cylinder head, and luckily it made it down to the bottom of the sump. It sat down there for at least the 8 years I've owned it, could have been longer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I also found a nut and washer trapped in the right front engine mount bracket, if something is dropped outside the engine and doesn't hit the ground it's a likely resting spot - you can make out a nyloc nut that has been sitting there for a long time (also preceding my ownership)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    And someone would have claimed that you didn't change your belts often enough. ;-)

19. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    What is it with 10mm sockets? I've lost one for years, and thought it was lost in my 400i - turned that bloody thing upside down and even pulled the door cards off the day before it sold - it's probably in there somewhere. Dropped the copper washer off the thermostat bleeder on the QV - had to buy a flexi borescope and found it under the bottom belt pulley. You've gotta know!

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Don’t feel bad. I dropped one of my idle jets with the holder and oring yesterday. went and bought an inspection camera. Found the holder and oring in 10 minutes. But 45 minutes to fish it out. It fell into the alt bracket. The jet itself was found on a ledge just under the water pump. Another 45 minutes screwing around.
    must have: inspection camera