Importing a US Car to Europe (Temporarily) | FerrariChat

Importing a US Car to Europe (Temporarily)

Discussion in 'Europe' started by sparetireless, May 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I would like to ship my 360 to europe for a month and then ship it back to the USA.

Can I drive around on California plates while doing so?

Who will sell me some insurance for this time period?

anyone done it or know how to do it?

I know its cheaper and less hassle to rent, but I want to bring my personal car over just because.

F456M likes this.
  2. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    Do you have front plate? Because it's compulsory in Europe

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Isn’t it compulsory in California?

Matt

4. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    I completely don't know, I live in France and I don't know traffic rule in California

5. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Yes, you can import your car temporarily and get tourist car insurance. I have done this before with a motorcycle on non-EU plates in Italy, the insurance (third party liability only) was good in all EU countries. I am not sure if you can get comprehensive insurance; in Italy this third party liability 'green card' insurance is under 10 euro per day and is offered by the Automobile Club of Italy.

The bigger issue will be shipping and customs. I flew my bike into Frankfurt in a crate and had it trucked to Milan where a friend runs a motorcycle touring company; he got it released without the need for a bond or carnet. For a car, I would think that shipping it with Cars International, or a similar firm may make it simpler to arrange for a carnet, if needed.

This will not be a cheap exercise.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6 Nembo1777, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    I did this in the early 90's with a 924 Turbo, roll on roll off Jacksonville Florida to Antwerp Belgium. Bought insurance via the shipping company.

I made a front number plate by buying a blank Florida imitation plate at a mall and buying stick on black letters that were as close in size and font as the originals then had a shop laminate it. I had zero problems with it in Europe, used it one winter then left it at my parents home garage in Burgundy flew back to Florida and then went to Le Mans with it the next summer. At Le Mans I met a French guy who had brought a Jeep over from California, he made a front tag out of cardboard and said he got pulled over all the time, duh. I never had any issues. So make triple sure you make a proper front tag as I did. At the German French border they asked about the car, I said it is going back to the US, they said ok and waved me on. Then I sold it in Brussels for cash.

Fun trip, I went to Spa, the Nurburgring, the Porsche factory where after the visit they allowed me to park it next to all the new cars.

I would think that if you use it for a month it would be a lot cheaper than renting which is crazily expensive per day and particularly per kilometer. Just find out in advance about the insurance, speak with Cosdel and Cars Europe.

FYI many Americans and Canadians come to Europe with RV's for a few months.

I would recommend containerized shipping as roll on roll off sees pilfering by ship crew who have nothing to do for weeks, they even start some of the cars...in a container no such problem.

7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    A friend shipped an Aston from Dubai to Europe from the summer, container for the ship, and a flatbed truck to its final destination. He placed a camera in the car which would turn on if the door was opened. The truck driver ate his lunch in the Aston and had a nice nap.

F456M likes this.
  8. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Hey, I just found this thread. I'm planning to do exactly this in April through July. I found Geico offer international insurance. I have not inquire on the cost as I'm still doing other planning. Since you posted this, 8 Months had passed. IF you've already done it, I Would like to hear your experience. If you are still planning it, I hear if you send it to EU, you have to pay $30K in bond which will be returned when you go back. If you send it to UK, however, there are no bond requirement, and you can drive to other EU countries from there.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  9. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

#9 Metastable, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  10. LussoLife

LussoLife Rookie

Jan 12, 2022
    Pumping this thread to the top of the list.

If anyone has any more information on costs and hurdles that have to be cleared it would be much appreciated.

I have a dream of shipping my 296GTS to the EU and driving across Europe in 2025, would love to hear people's stories on why it is a good idea or a bad one.

11. jacv

jacv Rookie

Jul 10, 2023

Recent quotes I've seen are around $5k for an end to end service from US to Europe in a non-shared container (with customs etc being taken care of). Other piece is getting insurance as your normal insurance will not apply, so you must look into specialty providers (Hagarty, Clements, etc-) to see if they will offer insurance for your trip.

F456M and LussoLife like this.
  12. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    If you only want third party liability, ACI in Italy offers it, useable around the entire EU for about €9 per day. Just don’t damage your car.

13. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    interesting, may have to put this back on the front burner