F355 Market | Page 252 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    I understand the argument of 993T vs F355, but the C&D article is a stark reminder that the NSX was probably the "best" all around sportscar of the mid 90s. So, applying the same arguments, why is it the NSX doesn't seem to be as valued as the F355 not to mention the 993T? I rarely see them break 6 figures (maybe I am not paying close enough attention) unless it is a super low mileage example. I'd argue the NSX is competitive with the 355 everywhere except the exhaust note and the interior (although I do appreciate an adjustable steering column). Even F-chatters can't argue that an NSX is easier to maintain. I'd call it a draw at best.

2. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    It’s interesting that they rated the transmission a 7 for the F355 and a 10 for the NSX. If it’s an F1 I can understand, but the gated 6 speed is one of the most glorious in existence.

carnutdallas likes this.
  3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think the transmission on the F355 is one of the best Ferrari transmissions. Its the last where they made their own.
    Now having said that, it is a little recalcitrant to get into 2nd when cold. It shifts like a Ferrari should shift, but the character that the transmission has may not be to everyone's tastes. I would imagine Honda with their vast resources could design a better shifting transmission and probably did. It just wouldn't fit the character of the F355 though.

ShineKen likes this.
  4. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    I have the seen cold hesitation into 2nd. I guess not everyone appreciates Italian quirks like we do :)

PaulK likes this.
  5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Calling virtually any engine more complicated with more to go wrong than a 355 engine is kind of laughable - 993 turbo is way less complex and more reliable, it's not even close. However, I'd much rather the 355, but that argument is just flat wrong...The only thing more complicated and unreliable I could imagine would be a 355...with turbos...or maybe a dual vanos turbocharged bmw v8?

Wsmatau and Shark01 like this.
  6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Half of those categories no one cares about. 355’s also had much higher MSRPs. Higher MSRP later model NSX’s or special edition NSX’s (Type-R, Type-S, Type-S Zero, Zanardi) are 6 figure cars if they aren’t already. In Japan, they are commanding huge premiums. NSX interior is superb and even more so for a 90’s car imo. Exhaust note is pretty good with the right setup. 355 still edges out on looks and sound and classier feel. Personally, I prefer the flip up lights over the updated lights.

tres55 likes this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Laughable?

For a 355, outside of bad quality valve guides and headers, once they are replaced, what can go wrong?

With a turbo setup, your turbos can go bad. Your manifolds can also go bad (like a 355) Your boost controller can go bad. You can have a boost leak.

The power your car makes on a consistent basis depends on your boost pressure and efficiency of your intercooler system. With everything tucked in the rear, you’re more than likely have heat soak issues.

By definition, it is more complex. You are relying on many more factors to go right to make consistent power vs a 355 setup.

I’ve got a 100k mi on my RX-7 so I’m very familiar with how turbo setups work and my engine is in the front. Good luck with the engine in the rear if not designed for adequate cooling.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    carnutdallas and ShineKen like this.
  9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I've seen maintenance bills on 993s that rival the 355 major service bills. I personally believe most Ferrari owners take care of their cars to a higher standard. The Porsche guys that are doing the same aren't doing it on the cheap I can guarantee that.

carnutdallas likes this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    If you remove “ride, comfort, ergonomics, fit/finish, and value” , here are the scores:

F355 63

993 Turbo 61

NSX 60

F355 should be a 10, not 7 for “transmission” for the iconic gated shifter alone :).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

carnutdallas likes this.
  11. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I think that’s the going rate for the Turbo S. Hasn’t gone up much in the last few years

12. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    Spoken like true tifosi ;)

ShineKen likes this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My pops taught me how to drive stick for the first time in his NSX when I turned 16, so there is some sentimental value for me. I drove the NSX until I got it down, so I remember how it felt, although as a novice. I agree with the NSX's score of 10,10,10,10 for transmission, comfort, ergonomics, fit & finish. That car was solid. F355 should be a 10 in the transmission department comparatively and I have no qualms with the 355 being less in comfort, ergonomics, fit & finish. These features for a sports car give marginal benefits. One could even argue the NSX has better comfort, ergonomics, fit & finish than a Scud... maybe even a 458. Fortunately, the other factors hold more weight when evaluating a sports car.

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    If we're talking smooth speed shifts, I'll admit, 355 isn't the greatest :). Perhaps with a "slick shift" gate things get a bit faster. I'm sure that's probably why it got a 7 when that was written. But today, holding that iconic ball maneuvering through gates with clicks and clacks is such a nice classic experience. Especially on a car that can move. People are paying $150k premiums for this experience (ex. manual F430.) Here you can have a whole 355 for $150k.

I haven't driven my black 355 in 5 years. When I got the red 355 and drove around, I got the goosebumps. Felt a bit scared I had forgotten how to work it. It felt inefficient and strangely awkward, but I was smiling on the inside. It gave me a tremendous amount of joy and relief just to hear the clicks again. Even coming from the visceral paddle shifting of the Scud, for me, the Ferrari gated shifting experience tops it for a road going car. A 10 out 10 gentlemen.

OCKlasse and carnutdallas like this.
  15. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I'll concede the transmission on the 993 and NSX are pretty great. I don't think the reviewer is taking into account the "coolness" factor of the gated shifter...but the overall feel and drive. I would probably agree it is better in the 993 and NSX, however the difference is small enough that it's irrelevant.

ShineKen likes this.
  16. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
  17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I think it can be very fast but one out of a thousand times I find myself back into first instead of 3rd. (usually if I'm actually thinking about it instead of just driving the thing)

Would be nice to have a speed activated solenoid/first gear lockout. Maybe I'll make something.

And yes, funny how scared the Porsche guys are of 355 maintenance (IMO). TONS of threads showing 993 engine out service to go over everything. Of course not like 355 interval but neither of them are Camrys.

I've not driven an NSX but IMO the F355 shifts better than the 993

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  18. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Which magazine is this from? Month and year?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well, there's the whole engine out every 5 years for timing belts, dodgy tensioner bearings, keeping 8 itbs in sync, dodgy fans, dodgy throwout bearings, dodgy water pumps etc etc. The 355 is complicated and unreliable compared to pretty much anything, including 993 porsches. Not rare at all to see them over 100k miles, very rare to see a 355 over that. Not solely because of reliability of course, but almost every 355 has a $20k+ service receipt in its past, rare to see that on any 911.

That said, it boggles my mind that a 993 of any type is in the same price range as a 355, let alone more expensive.

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Supply and DEMAND. Used Ferraris are, in general, much less appealing to the masses than Porsches.

Shark01 and ShineKen like this.
  21. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The F355 shifts just fine- its very mechanical and there are some quirks to it. Quirks that give the car some personality and a deeper connection between the pilot and the car. I wouldn't change a thing.

The 993 is the last of the air cooled Porsches and all the Porsche people hold it in such high regard because of it. The F355 represents an end of an era for Ferrari and the beginning of a new one. I think Ferrari people are just starting to understand that, hence why it isn't as highly valued as that 500k 993 Turbo S. But values on the 355 I still expect to go up over time, not down. Not that it's super important to me as I'll never sell mine, but its fun to talk about with everyone on here. :)

22. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm in the same boat, but it actually sucks for us because it means parts, insurance etc. are going to get more expensive too.

mclaudio likes this.
  23. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Aye, it is a double edged sword. But at least we have a 355. :)

bobzdar likes this.
  24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    DEMAND is going to have to change starting now :).

Let’s face it. It’s the $20k misc engine out service bills from the early 2000’s and 3 year Ferrari recommended interval at the time that brought 355 prices down to $60k. The juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. I have past records of these alarming service bills (from previous owners) for both my 355s and most of it is bogus. Overcharge city from Indies and F dealers at the time.

With the age of the internet peaking, we’re smarter about maintenance costs. BS gets filtered (credit to you John).

Next stop is 993 valuations or higher. It’s time millennials cash in on their crypto profits and buy something tangible (and won’t drop 50%) ... the best sub $200k sports car from the 90’s. The Ferrari F355.

mclaudio, tres55 and OCKlasse like this.
  25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus