Engine stand for BB and TR the same? | FerrariChat

Engine stand for BB and TR the same?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JohnMH, Jun 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Does anyone know if the spacing of the four engine mount bolts on a TR and BB512 are the same? I am considering having an engine stand fabricated to make the engine out work on my TR easier, but want to know if I will one day be able to use the stand for my BB as well.

I would measure them both myself, but my BB is in Canada while my TR (and me) are presently in Dubai.

As well, does everyone remove the shifter rod completely from the car when dropping a TR engine, or will it clear the engine when it is lowered? I have heard conflicting views, but have managed to bend the rod when left in place during engine out procedures in the past; maybe I am not using the right technique. Having to reset the linkage when reinstalling the engine is a pain, as it involves opening that window on the side of the gearbox and ensuring that the tab which pushes and pulls the three selector forks is perfectly centered inside the box.

2. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Cannot comment on the compatibility of an engine stand for a testarossa or 512.

No need to remove the shaft to remove the engine, put it in 2nd, unbolt the linkage at the fork, place the shifter in 3rd to move the shaft toward the front of the car and take your time while lifting the car off the sub frame. I do this by myself and have never bent anything.

Not sure why you would take the side cover off the transmission for adjusting. Look at your workshop manual pages E33 and E34 there is a procedure for adjusting the “inner” and “outer” linkages. I machined down an old push rod to make the special tool shown in fig 32.

Im sure other more experienced than I will chime in :)

3. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Bertocchi and pilotoCS like this.
  4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may ask newman, he once put a 48 valve engine in a BB
    but I think the distance between the engine mounts are the same - but not sure

5. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks. That yellow stand depicted above is approximately what I would like to build. If a TR engine will fit in a BB, I have to assume the mount spacings are the same (but will make further inquiry).

As for the linkage rod issue, if I disturb the threaded rod used to adjust and align the linkage, I need to open the case and visually make certain the shift shaft is perfectly aligned and centred with the shifter rods in each of the three planes of movement. If I could leave both ends alone but just disconnect them, it would save a lot of time.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Putting a TR power unit on that stand would require removal from the sub frame. Not a necessary step during servicing.

I remove the rear portion of the shifter shaft. I have never removed the side cover to readjust nor do I use the factory method. I find it too imprecise for best shifting.

tbakowsky likes this.
  7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I am only removing the engine from the subframe as I want to split the engine from the transmission to replace the water pump chain and tensioner and the differential case. I also intend to change suspension bushings and engine mounts, so I may as well. It is also easier to fit the engine through the door to my clean room.

Can you share the method that allows you to remove and reinstall the rear portion of the shift shaft, but get precise alignment without opening up the side of the box to visually check alignment?

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I do it by feel but I have been doing it monthly or so for 36 years. I have never seen anyone remove the side cover.

ago car nut and turbo-joe like this.
  9. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Brian, I heard you reference the “do it by feel” technique before and I seem to remember you saying when you adjust the linkage you have someone in the cockpit shifting as fast as they can? Surely the factory method will get you close? Then fine tune from there?

cheers

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #10 Rifledriver, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    When I have a second person available which is pretty much never since I work alone.

I can get it that close blindfolded. Their method is pretty much why I adjusted every single one prior to delivery when new and also why the Testarossa earned such a reputation for poor shifting. We thought so much of their method none of the dealers I worked at even owned the tool. One, only one of the problems with the factory method is A. It was used and B. everything else internally was properly adjusted. The assembly at the factory was, to be kind, inconsistent. Even if all of those were true it simply was not the best method. It was the fastest and that appealed to the factory.

They were so sloppy with those I had a lot of the side covers off on the cars new so I could properly adjust the internal parts too. They would have the selector forks so spread out the selector finger would go right between them.

11. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Thanks for you input Brian. It would probably be quite a surprise for many of us to drive a properly tuned testarossa! Just looked it up and Lakeland is only a 22 hour drive from my house ;)

12. bpcurtis

bpcurtis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Dickinson, TX
    Full Name:
    Burnell P Curtis
    I built an engine cart to fit my testarossa engine with it in its frame. Worked perfectly. I did not open the engine or transmission but just did the belts and hoses and clamps and water pump seal. I have no use for this cart now and would sell it to you but do not know how to get it to you.
    Burnell