Roof storage: pins up or down? | FerrariChat

Roof storage: pins up or down?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Santa Fe Jeff, Jun 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    #1 Santa Fe Jeff, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    I'm going to have a roof cover made to hold and protect the roof panel when it's not installed but instead stowed behind the seats. My car doesn't have one right now but I did score the four corner pins that hold the cover in place. I've also got a set of really comprehensive pictures from Denver Ferrari of a 328 that's in their showroom. They show the pins down when the roof is resting on the floor.

in the 1983 U.S.A. owners manual, there is a picture of how the roof goes behind the seats and you can just barely see the pins so it's "pins up". But then the roof is resting on the straps in an awkward position.

So which is it? Or am I waaaaayyyy over thinking this and should just stick it in behind the seats?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. Cennzo

Cennzo Karting

Jan 29, 2020
    Sausalito CA
    Full Name:
    Vince Dattoli
    I always fold the clasps flat and then put it behind the seats pins up with the headliner facing forward. I don’t use the cover at all, though I have one.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Lots of previous threads with lots of different opinions - some say the manual drawing is misleading

Pins down top forward is the consensus and that best fits the original cover (whose style & dimensions have also been previously posted I think)

Saabguy, 4rePhill and mike996 like this.
  4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mine was always pins down, top forward, no cloth cover

Jedi

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The most recent thread on this very topic from just over a week ago: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/targa-top-storage.479525/

In summary:

I recently bought a brand new storage cover from Maranello Classic Parts, here in the UK. (Part No. 60418209 @ £410/$580 + delivery [NOTE: The price is for reference only - I have no affiliation with Maranello Classic Parts in any way, shape or form] )

The cover is shaped in such away that the targa top has to sit with it's top/outer surface facing the front of the car/ headlining facing the bulkhead behind the seat.

Sitting the targa top latches down/pins up, did not look healthy for the latches to me.

In addition, the upward facing pins were putting two pressure points in the top face of the cover.

Sitting the targa top latches up/pins down, the cover cover sits nicely on the latches. In addition, the two pins locate into two holes in the carpet (as posted in the other thread - I'm not sure if the holes have just been worn into the carpet, or if they are there by design).

The owners manual appears to indicate that the top should be stored with the top/outer surface facing forwards, and the pins upwards.

Personally, I will store my top with the top/outer surface facing the front of the car, and the pins facing downwards.

6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It would seem that the purpose of the cover, aside from holding the targa top in place, is to protect it from scratches or buff marks while stored that might mar the continuity of the surface. The textured surface itself is because it would be very difficult to impossible to prevent scratches on a polished body color panel when stored behind the seats even with a cover. So, given the purpose of the cover and the way it fits it becomes obvious that the intent is for it to be stored with top facing forward and as such, if you were to put it in with the pins facing up it would require a rotation of 180 degrees after removal which seems awkward. So the general consensus has been - pins down.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "So the general consensus has been - pins down."

Yep, I agree with that and I place the outside of the top against the firewall, the interior facing the front of the car. That way there is a bit more space for the seat to tilt back. Otherwise, for me, the seatback is too upright/not comfortable.

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The interior/headlining side facing towards the front of the car seems the most logical way, as you can push the seats into the recesses in the top, gaining more room - However, the curvature of the storage cover is such, that the only way it fits without issue (with a brand new cover at least), is with the outer/top surface facing the front of the car.

With the headlining facing the front of the car, there is a serious strain being applied to the edges of the top by the storage cover (again, with a brand new storage cover at least - trust me: I tried it!), to such a degree, that I suspect the targa top could become distorted over time.

It's so counter-intuitive - I can't help feeling that Ferrari got this one wrong!

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have to admit I never paid any attention to how the cover fits vs which way the top is facing because I don't attach the cover. I just put the top behind the seat "loose." Futzing with the cover takes too much time/effort anyway. Being inherently lazy, it's way too much trouble for no good reason that I can see; I don't figure the not-covered top is going to fly out from behind the seat while I'm driving down the road! :eek: But heck, maybe I'm wrong...

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

As I understand it early 308's had pin brackets on the floor to set the pins into.............so if that is true, pins down.

11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The reason why the OM shows the pins up because if you have the latch up, it can stain and or scratch the fabrics on the rear shelves but actually can go either way, I do mine with the pins down and top side facing forward.

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    That's some interesting information.

With a brand new cover (so no age stretching), the cover presses so tightly against the targa top, that pins up, the pins could wear holes in the top surface of the cover - Which the latches don't do, if they're at the top.

As I've already posted, with the latches at the bottom, it seems to me that there would be excess pressure/forces on the latches, which risks damaging them (especially if the top bounces due to uneven road conditions).

Also, with the latches at the bottom, the top slides around all over the place as you try to fit the retaining cover - With the pin's downwards, the cover does not move around at all.

With the two holes in my carpet that fit the pin's perfectly, the lack of additional stress on the latches, and a general feeling of it just seeming to be the better method, I too will continue to store my targa top behind the seats - top/outer surface facing towards the front of the car, and with the pins pointing downwards.

13. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Thanks for the info guys. Sorry for the repeat but I couldn't figure out what to search for . Duh! Sounds like pins down but als sounds like fooling around until I'm comfortable with the fit so that's what I'll do.

14. Lefti31

Lefti31 Rookie

Oct 8, 2020
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Detlef Müller
    Hi. Another question because of the cover:
    At mine one push button is missing. Cam I buy this as a spare part/ item?
    Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N975F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #15 4rePhill, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/328-gtb-gts-(1988)/121-tunnel-and-roof

Number 33: Part No. 60727200

Be aware that the price shown is for each button - Not all 4 buttons!

It's not just the plastic part either - It's the entire metal button, with the Ferrari prancing horse embossed plastic cap fitted.

If you only need one button, make sure you make this clear to whoever your chosen supplier is.

Saabguy likes this.
  16. Lefti31

Lefti31 Rookie

Oct 8, 2020
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Detlef Müller
    Thank you for the link. The price is crazy for one part
    Sent from my SM-N975F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    It may be crazy but I need ONE and only one. Looks like an order soon...

Thanks,

Lester

18. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The really odd thing is, my brand new storage cover came with 4 metal retaining "buttons"/clamp pieces already fitted, but they did not have any sort of plastic cap fitted to them, so you couldn't pull the "button" up, to release the clamping fingers, to remove the cover (your fingers simply can't grip the metal)

I though you'd just be able to buy the plastic caps with the molded prancing horse on them for a small price, but no - You have to buy 4 complete metal "button"/clamp pieces with the caps attached (as shown in the link).

So now I have 4 complete Ferrari embossed "buttons"/clamps fitted to my cover, and four spare "buttons"/clamps without plastic caps on them.