348 - Clutch issue almost ruined my weekend | FerrariChat

348 Clutch issue almost ruined my weekend

Discussion in '348/355' started by Donkeykong87, Jun 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    So heading to the Bass Pro Memorial Day Cruise on Saturday I hit a stoplight and pushed in on the clutch...only it went right to the floor with zero resistance. It didn't stay on the floor, it came right back up like it regularly does when I took my foot off of it. I pushed it in again and everything was normal. A couple lights later though, same thing. I also noticed that you could just gently tap on the pedal and it would lose resistance and go directly to the floor without any resistance, sometimes having resistance right at the end.

By the end of the evening it was happening on almost every shift...pump the pedal a couple of times until it just randomly had resistance.

I checked the garage floor, I didn't see any fluids that had leaked or anything. What do you think is the issue?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Internal leak inside the clutch master cylinder -- sometimes the seal is OK and sometimes not (so the fluid goes around the seal rather than out the pipe to the slave cylinder).

Changing/bleeding the fluid regularly can help prolong the life of the seal(s) (and can sometimes be a bit of a cure), but, if still the originals, you are ~25 years old so, even with best care, you are beyond a reasonable life for an elastomeric seal anyway.

3. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Thank you for the response!

Is it this part the?

https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part/6527/ferrari/175211/clutch-master-cylinder.html

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes, this may help lots of pointers there. Different car but generally applicable.

ernie likes this.
  5. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Oh, perfect, thank you!

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If you do it posts pics and document for others, especially removing it and reinstalling it, the linkage, sort of tight under the dash etc. You will probably figure out some tricks so let us know. :)

7. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    I'll be bringing this to my mechanic, but I'll be sure to have him take pictures.

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I forgot not everyone does their own work, apologies, but yes some pics would be good, thankyou!

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    AceMaster likes this.
  10. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    I fully intend to do most of the work that I can on the car, but changing out master cylinders isn't one of the jobs I'm going to tackle.

11. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    As usual, thanks for the link, I'm sure this is going to be quite helpful!

ernie likes this.
  12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ernie is Mr. 348

13. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    On every forum I've ever been on I refuse to leave an empty thread without resolution, I feel it dilutes the forum.

With that being said, I wanted to confirm that the clutch master was indeed the problem. Ernie, thank you for the link you provided about the "deadhead" as we ran into that very problem. Unfortunately the mechanic did not take any pictures, so I don't have those to provide. Start to finish he was done installing and bleeding everything in 3 hours. Probably would have been 2 hours had he bothered to read the link I had sent him about the "deadhead" lol.

emac, WATSON and ernie like this.
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Awesome thanks. Been dreading having to do this job if ever. But I am doing brakes soon and will watch for this. As far as the tip for the mechanic, he won't make his boat payments with fewer hours billed. :eek::)

Enjoy the car!

Donkeykong87 and steved033 like this.
  15. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Thanks for bringing it to a conclusion. Too many just end without a resolution or final disposition.

ernie likes this.
  16. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Thanks for the conclusion. FWIW, I have used this bleeding procedure many times on other cars. Not sure how it would work on the Fcar, but it is a neat trick.

ernie likes this.
  17. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I use a pressure bleeder to push fluid but I still need to cycle the pedal several times during the bleed. I have also found it very helpful with clutch fluid refresh and bleeding or component replacement to let the vehicle sit overnight and test the first pedal push to feel any micro air bubble that migrated to the same high spot and will cause a soft pedal. If I find a soft first push, I will bleed again and it will always have one last bubble. If it has a firm first push, I don't bleed again.
    Good job on the diagnosis and the follow up report, always nice to hear the final report and it is positive.
    Now go drive it.

ernie likes this.
  18. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Funny you mentioned that...I drove it two hours that night and I also drove it to work today.

Ferrari Tech likes this.