F1 "Hill Start" Mode? | FerrariChat

F1 "Hill Start" Mode?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Joel Delman, Jun 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Hi All,

So I heard that there's a "hill start" mode in the F1 on my 575, read the manual but as with most things in the manual, this is not particularly well explained.

Am I correct that if you are going to start from a standstill on a moderate or steep hill, and don't want to roll backwards, you are supposed to hold the brake, then press the "down" shift paddle from Neutral rather than the "up" paddle, and this puts you into a hill start mode for 1st gear?

Would appreciate any insight from someone more experience with their F1 tranny than me, or who drives in more hilly terrain than I usually do (as well as advice as to whether this "mode" wears the clutch unnecessarily and should be avoided?) Is there another technique for starting on steep hills that should be used?

Thanks!

Joel

Maxime Defforey likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hill start mode is initiated from 1st or reverse (do not use reverse if possible) by holding down the downshift paddle until you hear a beep. The tech bulletin says you only have to hit the downshift paddle once, but holding it down works for me. I use it every time I climb up my driveway, which is like a ski-jump approach.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    i have a steep driveway, but i have just been using 1st normal... What do you thing the intent was? I have a bit of concern about clutch life, i have noticed a couple of 575's with replacement clutches at relatively low miles (approx. 20K)

4. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    Good question. Also, didn't know there was launch control on 575?

5. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I’ve been too chicken to ever try it :D

Qavion likes this.
  6. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Interesting, so it seems like this is actually intended to be a clutch "saver", per the page attached above. Will have to find a. hill and try it out:)

7. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    Launch Control..!! egads,, in my old age, i now have seen so many engineering WET DREAMS.. give me a break,, who needs launch control,, i see parades of F cars on YouTube,, what most F car owners need is Lunch Control

franschman, Qavion and JSP like this.