Tesla Powered 308 vs TR | FerrariChat

Tesla Powered 308 vs TR

Discussion in '308/328' started by miketuason, Jun 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Loved it! Thanks!:)

miketuason likes this.
  3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Cool!!!! :)

miketuason likes this.
  4. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Nice comparison, I loved watching the 308 pull away.... :)

ChipG likes this.
  5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The power and torque are really nice and cool to have but it’s too damn quiet for me:)

Tustin308 likes this.
  6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    What a waste of a good Ferrari... I could care less how fast an electric car is, and drag racing one is ignorant at best . My friend just bought a Tesla, its parked next to his 5 Series BMW, Ill take the BMW , any day of the week, Teslas are the ugliest pieces of s*** on the road, the KIa Stinger looks like a Ferrari next to one, and its a nice looking car at that. Only an idiot would even think about comparing an insane, sick ,beautiful flat 12 Ferrari , to an electric powered anything, are you kidding me fellows ? Really ? Nothing you can say can be an excuse / reason for this, its that simple. PERIOD END OF STORY..The admins should delete the video !!! lol Its an insult to the forum.

Thank you

JTSE30 and BLACK HORSE like this.
  7. Andretti Molletti

Andretti Molletti Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dré
    "Electric is for people who can't build engines"

Andretti Molletti 2021

JTSE30, Saabguy, BLACK HORSE and 2 others like this.
  8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

Well if you would take some time in read up on this project before popping off, you would find that this wasn’t a “perfectly good Ferrari.” Car was acquired from a dismantler and was totaled due to a pretty intense engine fire. guess I’m one of the idiots of which we speak as I find it pretty damn amazing the performance of this little vehicle. Would I do it? No, but it gives a pretty clear indication with where the industry is headed.

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I also like the fact that whoever purchased this vehicle ditched the black wheels and other items and opted for the original Ferrari Euro look!:)

Du_Man likes this.
  10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    It would be interesting to know what the top speed might be and how much range it has at 75-80 MPH. I wouldn't convert my 328 to electric BUT, if I could afford it and the range was decent, I would have no trouble at all doing what they did - taking a "junk" 3x8 and dropping in the Tesla motor!

Fun to see folks returning to old technology that was popular in the early 20th century! ;)

What's next, return of steam locomotives? :)

eskamobob1 and 308 milano like this.
  11. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #11 ginoBBi512, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    I dont believe that any 308 that someone would put this contraption in, is not junk, it should of been restored to its original glory, if it was good enough to convert , it surely was good enough to be put back together correctly, plenty of folks on here have done it, as well as others over the years. So the word junk certainly does not apply here whatsoever. We all know where the industry is going, Im glad I will be off of this planet by the time it gets here permanently . Case in point, the Outlaw 308 , I dont think, the builder is going to put a slot car motor in it , thats my guess anyhow.

" my uncle has a country place no one knows about,
    he says it used to be a farm, before the motor law "

" I strip away the old debris, that hides a shiny car"

" a brilliant Red Barchetta from a BETTER vanished time "

" we fire up the willing engine responding with a roar "

N.P.

Thank you

12. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    You could put a Tesla motor in a Ford Pinto or in a (insert name of car) and it would pull away from a Testarossa. Wow! That's mad crazy! What will they think of next? A Tesla motor in a Mondial? Or a Fiat 131?!? Madness! At this point I think I have no more respect for the Ferrari Testarossa.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  13. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    All electric cars sucks! ... its too bad they wrecked a perfectly good 308 for this!

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  14. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Absolutely no reason to add electric instead of getting a donor 308 / 328 engine , just my 2 cents worth. Im sure its not the only Ferrari that ever had a fire, and then was restored , if you can restore it and put a slot car motor in it, you can do it the proper way , its that simple.

Thank you

15. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    “ it’s that simple.“ have you ever done this? I have. Purchased an 82 308 GTSI (pictured below )that had suffered a minimal engine fire and the guy replaced the fuel lines with surgical tubing. Paid $17,000 for a drivable 308 as a project. Two years later the project was approaching $35,000 with my labor for free when I sold it on to another. So.. to recap. current value of the 308 at that time was $25,000 in average condition. I am already in it 30/$35,000 with a salvage title and still needs paint and body work. Do the math. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The electric 308 was at the dismantlers and going to be sold for parts. Use your head man.

16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Restoring a Ferrari costs a lot of money, if one cant afford to do it, sell it to someone who can, thats the nature of the Ferrari beast. In the end, a proper Ferrari it will be. Putting a slot car motor in a 308 is , like I said, is idiotic , and then racing a Testarossa is the ignorance on the cake . there is no more to discuss , I dont care that it came from the junkyard , you dont get in the Ferrari club with a 308 that has a slot car motor. If I ever saw one at a car show, I would tell the owner to have his head examined lol .

Thank you

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    So now you’re “warden Walnut “of the Ferrari club ? Dictate what’s shown at local car meets? Allowed to race a 328 with my Euro QV? OK for me to give a thumbs up to GT4 if we cross paths? I would love to roll up next to a red testarossa and then stomp the throttle hard all the way through 5th gear just to watch him accelerate. Guess you’re not supposed to be competitive if you own a Ferrari huh? (Rolls eyes)

eskamobob1 likes this.
  18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "If I ever saw one at a car show, I would tell the owner to have his head examined lol"

Well, I got told pretty much the same thing at a Ferrari show by an owner of a 330GTC who vehemently stated that my 328 shouldn't be allowed into a Ferrari show because it's not a real Ferrari. He pointed out, "Real Ferrari's have 12 cylinder engines and aren't mass produced like Fords!" ;)

So in his view, the v8 in my 328 was probably as bad as the electric motor is to you! :)

eskamobob1 likes this.
  19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I just don’t see where the issue is. Electric drive has already proven itself to provide more power than internal combustion engines. We all like that. More power more good. And handling performance is independent of drive method. It is not an issue.

It was only 15 years ago when every pick-up truck took its muffler off. Before then manufacturers advertised how smooth and quiet their engines were. Yeah, I like the sound of my flat-plane V8 but it is only one aspect of the experience. V12s are famous because they are smooth.

Range and charging will be solved. (Maybe capacitors: Recharge so rapid we just stop for a minute at a drive-through where an attendant gives the car a zap.)

No matter what our opinions, electrification is rampaging straight toward us. Soon.

An interesting question is how conducive a 3x8 is to electric drive compared to other cars.

eskamobob1 likes this.
  20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #21 ginoBBi512, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Oh my gentlemen, I meant the Ferrari "club" as being a Ferrari owner, and the guy who said a 328 is not a Ferrari is another idiot, same as the idiot who brings an electric 308 anywhere . I also know that a Dino, being a V6 is a FERRARI, PERIOD lol . I dont care what kind of cars show up at cars and coffee, and yes, the guy who brings a 308 with a slot car motor, should have his head examined !! lol Its that simple.I dont care if Ferrari comes out with a flat four, its still a Ferrari.Thats like someone saying a Ducati is only a Ducati if it has the L TWIN for a power plant , referring to your "only V12 " person. I guess same idiot will tell you that 288 GTO , and an F40 are not real Ferraris either, are you kidding me ? lol . I would also, say that 95 % of the folks on here do not care that slot cars have more power than ICE s , myself included, like the other guy said, why not put one in a pinto ,and drag race a Flat 12 , its idiocy plain and simple. Dont believe the hype, comparing the two, ICEs outclass these electric pieces of s*** all day long .

Thank you

21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I suspect we'll see an e-motored (real) Ferrari in the next few years. Here's a May, 2020 magazine quote from Enrico Galliera, the chief commercial officer of Ferrari:

"Additionally, Galliera said as soon as battery technology develops that will be good enough for the company’s reputation, Ferrari will make a fully-electric supercar. However, technology is the key factor.

Ferrari will not make any electric vehicles just for the sake of an electric tag, Galliera added.
    It is important to note that last year Ferrari launched its first PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle), the SF90 Stradale."

Wonder if Ferrari will make there own electric motors or just buy them from Tesla? :)

eskamobob1 likes this.
  22. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    Ferrari itself, in the not too distant future, will sell a car with a "slot car motor"

Aaron

eskamobob1 likes this.
  23. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Im grateful that, no matter when Ferrari starts building e cars, there will still be plenty of used proper Ferrairs to choose from . I , wonder what type of motor soundtrack they will use to make the e car sound like,? V12,c flat 12 , V8 , yeh, I know , sounds pretty pathetic, a Ferrari thats powered by a slot car motor. I dont know about anyone else, in my estimation, it will be a complete waste of whatever they use to package it in , and then , most (maybe but you never know ) will say, "what a beautiful car, its to bad its powered by a slot car motor " Thank you Ferrari Chat, for allowing us to post our thoughts and feelings no matter how we feel about said topic.

Thank you

24. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I must come clean on my post late yesterday. It’s been bugging me all night. I wasn’t exactly trolling but I was arguing the Devil’s Advocate position to see if I could convince myself of it. I could not.

The 3x8 – and any other antique with an internal combustion engine – is so much more than what a car with an electric motor can be. With an electric motor, I would lose the mechanical connection with the machine. I would lose the oil puddles and the quirks of operating the machine. Those things connect me to the mechanisms. They allow me to problem solve even if the problem is as simple as shifting the transmission. I feel highs and lows with the problems of the machine but that is what bonds me to it; I know its foibles and I know how to tame them. I feel powerful. My knowledge about my car lets me join the tribe of 3x8 owners who share experience with common problems with our cars. Solving those problems binds us together. I could not get these things from a 100% reliable electric device.

Saabguy and ginoBBi512 like this.