What happens to Ferraris after 30k in miliage ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What happens to Ferraris after 30k in miliage ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Obxairman, May 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thehick

thehick Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    VA
    That would be my old car I just traded in. It's in top condition.

ScottS likes this.
  2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    as long as the price matches the mileage 30k miles is no big deal.. the older the car is the more likely it will have miles .. obviously if two 360s are side by side and one has 15k miles and the other has 40k miles and all else is the same i would expect to pay less for the one with more miles. But I do not think the miles reflects maintenance costs.

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Your not stuck with it forever no matter what miles are on it; it depends on condition and price.

40k is NOT high mileage for a Ferrari, let alone a 360. Chap near me has over 160k miles on his 360, so if you want to talk high mileage...!

Buy on condition not mileage.

4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Well, I guess they just rot away...wait a minute! These are cars! There's a perception that driving a Ferrari "ruins" it, but for modern cars, that is a myth. The reality is that a modern Ferrari, for the most part, is better if driven because that keeps the engine and other parts lubricated. The most important issue is maintenance. Was the car well cared for? Buy a car with complete maintenance records, if possible.

tomc likes this.
  5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
  6. thehick

thehick Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    VA
    Also to note, it has the tubi headers, sport cats, and muffler, no pre-cats to worry about here. New clutch, CS TCU, CS ECU, F430 MAFs, recent belt service, and new brakes. If I had the garage space, I might have kept it. I'll probably regret letting it go, but I guess it was time to try something new.

ScottS likes this.
  7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Consider this nuance—

don’t just look at mileage... but rather look at mileage over time. I plotted my 01 gated 360 mlg per year per car fax data.

If you want a garage queen that will not be driven go for lowest miles variant you can afford.

however if you plan to drive enjoy smiles and miles per year—/ look for the car that has racked up a few thousand miles over the recent years.... you want a car that was used in the last few years.... so that bugs were worked out.....

you should request a deep discount on the gar queen w low miles that had not been used in years... this is the car they will cost you if you use it.

After 3 yrs of ownership and regular use I would say my 26k mile 360 is in a sweet spot of low main use.... just do annual diy... and belt changes and enjoy. I drive it for coffee 6/7 days a week with no regard to mileage.

gl

alex likes this.
  8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    To answer your questions.... Nothing happens. Higher mileage Ferrari's get a bad rap because they have likely been used, so you can expect more cosmetic issues. However, the reality is that higher mileage examples tend to have more service, and more records, and better documentation of care. Simply put the more you use your Ferrari the more reliable it is... its the cars that sit for extended periods of time - ( Months on end ) that experience lots of issues when you go to use them. That does not mean that low mile examples are not good, but if you are looking at a 20-year-old car with 10K miles.... the car has sat far longer than it has been driven... there is no getting around that. seals, hoses, clutch, rust, electrolytic corrosion, wiring all get hard and brittle over time -use or no use. the issue is the ones that get used - get replaced more frequently and are ready to go and usually a tad more reliable. reliability is relative ... they are not Toyota's but they are also not old Lotus's either... My advice after 3 Ferrari's - is to buy the best you can ... but don't shy from higher mileage cars - 30-50K miles range is great. you will likely get a discount as well. But do review service history. a High mileage car with NO history...walk away. a car with 30K + miles should have a stack of annual service receipts, and you should see some additional repairs along the way - tires, brakes etc... that shows the level of care that happened.

That does not mean a car with no records is a no-go, but you need to do more research ... CarFax can show dealer service history as well... you just want to get a perspective on what has been done, and how it compares with the recommended service guidelines. you can find Ferrari recommended service online.

NE550 and alex like this.
  9. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    tomc, alex and one4torque like this.
  10. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    After 30k, they slowly make their way to 80k.

Attached Files:

11. velocegiallo

velocegiallo Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2017
    California
    Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #37 GrigioGuy, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    My 328 has almost 119,000 miles on it. That sounds like a lot, but it's only about 3500 miles a year, or less than 300 miles a month. For any real car, that's stupid low mileage for the age.

An early 360 with similar usage would have 74,000 miles.

To answer the OP's question -- they just keep going along.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

DIGMAN52, tazz99, tomc and 2 others like this.
  13. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’m at about 80K on my 328, and about 45K on my 430. The 430 is going up faster because it quickly became my daily driver.

I refused to pay a premium for a low mileage car because knowing I would drive it, that premium would evaporate in no time with each mile added. Both cars have full binders of service receipts containing everything that was there when I bought them, and every single nut and bolt since I got them. (Yeah, I might be a bit anal that way.). So if I ever decide to sell one of them, which is very unlikely, the buyer would be assured of one of the best driving, best maintained cars available in the market today.

So what happens after 30K miles? The cars get better, and the smiles get wider.

alex and Zamboniman308 like this.
  14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The problem with a car built in 1999 with 30k on the clock is it may have had 8 owners. Did they all take care of it?

aside from suspension and brakes and possibly clutch issues, I don’t see the problem is well taken care of and not severely crashed or flooded.

Remember: there is no such thing as a cheep Ferrari.

15. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Interesting to see this thread. Was talking last night to another Ferrari owner. He mentioned a friend (I know this is going to sound like one those stupid stories of the second cousin of a friend I haven't seen in 20 years...) with a very low mileage Ferrari who was looking to trade-in on an upgrade.. Anyway, the friend was offered a significant reduction on the trade-in value for his car. Why? Due to the low mileage vs year of the car. The rationale...the dealership would need to do a full service to certify the car for re-sale. Even if not totally factual, an interesting perspective.

16. BB84

BB84 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2010
    I remember reading here years ago about the myth of 10k being a high mileage car. Now we are talking about 20k. We will see this number climb over time as more and more people actually use their cars.

alex likes this.
  17. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Actually DRIVING a Ferrari? What a concept!:D

tomc likes this.
  18. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    After 30,000 miles on the odometer on a Ferrari the odometer goes to 30,001 miles.

Other than that not much else happens.

alex, BB84 and Rifledriver like this.
  19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #44 Rifledriver, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    You have the trend backwards. Owners on average are driving less, not more. To a great degree it is driven by the dealers getting buyers to bring back clean very low mile cars and promising big trade in value for the next latest and greatest.

In the old days people bought to drive and enjoy that car without thought what Ferrari might build next.

The last time I strolled a dealers showroom a couple of months ago.their very low mileage used 1 or 2 year olds outnumbered the new by about 4 or 5 to 1.

In the old days that never happened.

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All the years I spent in dealers suggests that is a good story far removed from reality.

Gary Sandberg likes this.
  21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If that's the case, whoever ends up with my 612 is getting a real slut! :D:D:D

Admiral Goodwrench likes this.
  22. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lol. How many miles on your 612, Paul?
    T

23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just turned 48K, I bought it in 2013 with 4K. Of course last year was a bust, and now that I have the FF, it eats in a little bit to the 612 drive time.

tomc likes this.
  24. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  25. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    I can vouch the odometers can roll past 30k. Heck I can vouch they may even make it to double that.. almost.. well I'll know before too long.

Anything older than a few years, and if intentions were to actually drive reliably, I'd be afraid of anything short of 30k. Not driving is worse than driving. At least that's what i tell the wife when i dissappear for a weekly drive.

alex likes this.